GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI's Value?

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
So my engine just crankwalked on me and is currently at the dealer having the engine replaced. My portion of the bill is going to be around $4000.
All of this headache has really made me want a Golf R with DSG now. I just feel like I'd be much happier, but financially it's always hard to justify when I want to buy a house in the next couple years.

How much money do you think my 2016 GTI SE is worth in stock form and modded form??
  • 66,500 Miles
  • New engine and turbo, although I don't know if a prospective buyer would even care or if it would scare them off.
  • Lighting Package
  • Performance Package
List of mods that can be left on or removed:
  • APR is38 tune
  • is38 (which is now toast and would have to be replaced, adding $960)
  • CTS FMIC
  • catted downpipe
  • DKM stage 2 clutch
I know that I can easily punch in some info to KBB and get a value, but I want to get a feel for what the market is for modded is38 GTI's for a private party. I'm already $4k down to repair the car. I think that I might be able to sell the car stock for around $15k to the right buyer, but even so that's not putting enough of a dent into the cost of the Golf R to justify me getting it. ?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
$15K sounds optimistic but the number any of us gives you is only a number not real $. You may have more value going to stock with it. Many folks are put off by others mods and it'll take more time to find that buyer.that is looking for a modded one.

Mud

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
You may have more value going to stock with it. Many folks are put off by others mods and it'll take more time to find that buyer.that is looking for a modded one.
That's what I was thinking. I can't see a modded car being worth more and even so it would take a while to find a buyer.
Stop buying cars.
I know it's basically the worst thing to do financially when I have a (soon to be) working car already. This stupid crankwalk thing has me thinking I'm going to be driving a ticking time bomb now. I'm not one to get a new car every two years; This is still my second car. Even so, it's just very hard to justify a used Golf R, financially.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Absolutely worth less with the mods - unless you can find that "right" buyer who actually wants all that stuff and is willing to pay some kind of a premium for it. But good luck finding that guy, he's quite elusive.

As for buying a new R instead - sounds like a great idea but not a financially sound one, if you don't even own a home yet and are planning to buy one. My advice? Go buy a nice Veloster R for significantly less, and for God's sake, leave it bone stock and just enjoy it. And then go buy that house. Good luck!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I know it's basically the worst thing to do financially when I have a (soon to be) working car already. This stupid crankwalk thing has me thinking I'm going to be driving a ticking time bomb now. I'm not one to get a new car every two years; This is still my second car. Even so, it's just very hard to justify a used Golf R, financially.

If you think it will be a ticking bomb once the repair is done, any potential buyer will have similar thoughts as well.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sell the mods and keep the car. It's never a good idea to buy a depreciating asset unless you use entirely disposable income. Your house savings fund doesn't qualify. After you buy your home and see what your expenses and job situation is, then you can decide. You're talking about 2-3 years from now. You don't know what your income or taxes will look like then. Politics will dictate that. In a little over a year you'll know. Just keep in mind that every country with universal health care has a national sales tax. Ask our Canadian and UK members how much VAT they pay.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
If you think it will be a ticking bomb once the repair is done, any potential buyer will have similar thoughts as well.
I wouldn't consider it a ticking time bomb if returned to stock. I think the clutch's pressure plate is a contributing factor in the crankwalk failure. But I will have to decide now while the car is being repaired which clutch I want to use.
Sell the mods and keep the car. It's never a good idea to buy a depreciating asset unless you use entirely disposable income. Your house savings fund doesn't qualify. After you buy your home and see what your expenses and job situation is, then you can decide. You're talking about 2-3 years from now. You don't know what your income or taxes will look like then. Politics will dictate that. In a little over a year you'll know. Just keep in mind that every country with universal health care has a national sales tax. Ask our Canadian and UK members how much VAT they pay.
Yeah good point. I just don't know if I have the heart to keep the car and return it to stock. Really wish there was some hard data on the causes of the crankwalk failures.

I guess every once in a while I need to post to the forums to bring myself down to earth, lol.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Buy a used Camry and put as much down on a house as possible. I did the opposite and bought this car new, didn't save enough for the down payment and I'm not happy about my stagnant financial situation. Not adding to my savings other than equity into my house and not being able to afford hobbies without draining the bank account makes me sad.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
If you really plan to get rid of the car, get something that will still put you on the right track to saving for a house. I worry about crankwalk as well, but also searching for a house so going to ride it out until after a house purchase.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
back to stock....sell mods for .12-20 on the dollar save for a house. GTI stock is a nice car but house can be real nice.