GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Staggered Bilsteins

Shadrach

I’ve been wondering about a setup using B8s in the back and B6s in the front. I know on fwd cars with Konis, it’s common to dial up the rears while the fronts are left softer. Because of the difficulty in adjusting rear Konis on our cars, I was wondering how a staggered Bilstein setup might work

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Should work fine. On the Koni's, my settings are 1/4 turn from full soft on front and 3/4 from full soft on rears. For reference two turns is full hard. Still comfortable and superior performance particularly in the rears. Have no reason to adjust them as they are dialed in.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I think you're better off with just getting Koni's. B8s are equivalent to Koni Yellow on full soft. I have B8s and honestly for track use they are a bit too soft. I'd maybe run B8 in front with a stiffer rear if anything but at that point I'd rather just do Koni Yellow full soft in front and like 1/2 turn rear or something like that.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
When you're adjusting Koni's you're only adjusting rebound, correct?

I wouldn't mess around mixing B8's & B6's. All that work mfr's do tuning suspensions and somehow it's a good idea to just mix & match replacements off the shelf? I don't see how that can possibly be a good idea. Will it work? Of course. Will it work well? Doubtful!

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
I have read that for newer cars like the MK7, Bilstein B6 and B8 do NOT have differerent damping/valving. The B8's simply have a 20mm shorter piston rod for less droop with lowering springs.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I have read that for newer cars like the MK7, Bilstein B6 and B8 do NOT have differerent damping/valving. The B8's simply have a 20mm shorter piston rod for less droop with lowering springs.
I have the B6s on stock springs and can confirm that's the case, I talked with Bilstein reps before I purchased mine. B8 simply has a shorter stroke like you mentioned

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I have the B6s on stock springs and can confirm that's the case, I talked with Bilstein reps before I purchased mine. B8 simply has a shorter stroke like you mentioned
Slight thread hijack, but how do you like the B6 + stock spring combo?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Slight thread hijack, but how do you like the B6 + stock spring combo?
I really like them, car feels more controlled over bumps, and steering feel / lateral stiffness of the front end improved with the inverted struts.

If I did it over again and wasn't full into Autox, I would've done b6 + drivergear springs (which I can't seem to find online after a brief search?) for an OEM+ feel