GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
All the mechanics I talk to say no matter what happened is that upgrading a clutch should not cause crank walk? So if manuals, other clutch companies, DSG walked and considering the fact that VW put a GTI clutch in the R’s which is way under rated for that car then they have to of known something. I had an RSR that went out after 1yr and then I went DKM on a brand new R and 6mo later on a brand new car I have had engine failure. I also have a clutch stop/harmonic balanced and honestly was easy on the engine. So I’m say VW
You were easy on the engine? Never drove spiritedley? What else did you have modified on the car?

cb1111

The fact is that this car shouldn’t experience CW with an aftermarket clutch, but good luck getting VW to warrant you from it with anything non-OEM.
Why? The manufacturer builds a car to meet certain specs. Why should they build it "stronger"? It clearly works as is because there are virtually no failures (just "normal" failures)with the stock clutch.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
4G63 had many issues. If you made it to crank walk, congrats.

I was too busy destroying transfercases in my Talon to worry about crank walk... if your trans is made of dried ramen noodles and hope you’ve got bigger things to stress.

On topic: has anyone considered milling the block to accept a flanged main bearing to better manage the increased side-load?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Why? The manufacturer builds a car to meet certain specs. Why should they build it "stronger"? It clearly works as is because there are virtually no failures (just "normal" failures)with the stock clutch.

I think he’s just saying that it shouldn’t as a general term, it’s certainly on the owner if they choose to push their own car beyond OEM spec.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Are you going to fail to acknowledge all the people that have aftermarket clutches without issues?
I acknowledge many users with aftermarket clutches have not experienced crank walk, as previously displayed in my graph compiled from Paul's data. (See my earliest posts in this thread). I don't think there is now, or will be ever, enough cases of crank walk to result in a class action suit.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
I see your devils advocate play and ignore it because it’s silly. Borderline forcing the consumer to buy the OEM clutch instead of a potentially better aftermarket one, i regardless of tune, or face face the consequence of engine failure is ridiculous design.

Maybe I won’t change my tires. Don’t want any additional rotational weight shredding my drivetrain.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
32437F79-C3E3-4A86-9AE5-E973CBBAA6CE.gif
Do da crank walk!!!

Reactions: kak

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I be like.... I got crank walk!
VW “hmmmm, aftermarket clutch”
“I’m SUING!”
VW “as far as we’re concerned it looks like this......”

1E5AEBD9-C864-4BD6-9077-C251101F7177.gif

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I see your devils advocate play and ignore it because it’s silly. Borderline forcing the consumer to buy the OEM clutch instead of a potentially better aftermarket one, i regardless of tune, or face face the consequence of engine failure is ridiculous design.

Maybe I won’t change my tires. Don’t want any additional rotational weight shredding my drivetrain.
You own a car company - are you going to engineer your engines/transmissions with possible non-OEM/aftermarket parts in mind/part of your design? And the total user-ship that *may* upgrade is probably 1% of all owners. Come on man - it's just not realistic.

cb1111

That's not devil's advocate, that's reality. There are plenty of replacement clutches (lights, tires, mufflers, oil filters etc.) that meet the OE specs, but if you buy a part that changes the performance of that system, then the manufacturer cannot be held responsible.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the vendors that raise this issue will live to regret it.