GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 in MA

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
I'm thinking about going APR stage 2 and I live in Massachusetts. I understand that there is a chance that the car won't pass inspection after this due to emissions (APR downpipe does not have a sufficient catalytic converter?). I've been doing some research on this and would like some input on the options that I've gathered. First, it seems like some people will flash to stock and swap the downpipe to stock - this seems like a lot of work if I do it myself and money if I don't, so it's not optimal. I've also read about O2 spacers, I'm a bit foggier on this one - would it help pass the test because the test is administered through the OBD port and that data is obtained from the O2 sensor?

If there are other options, please let me know.

Thanks!

Qomn,

I live in Massachusetts and had some of your concerns as well. I'm currently a Stage 2 Unitronic ECU/TCU vehicle with Unitronic catted downpipe and AWE track exhaust. As the others mentioned, I worked with a specific VW/Audi shop and I mentioned the O2 spacer and they knew exactly what I was getting at. Just get a high quality downpipe with a decent cat and a tuning platform that allows the flash back to stock. Present day, I wish I went with Cobb so I could get a Protune, but lesson be learned. I will be going bigger turbo in the long-run and might just get it now. Unitronic isn't bad, I knew it was more conservative, but the more and more I drive my car, a lot, the more I wished I went with a custom tune that really took advantage of all further modifications. Sorry to go off topic a little, but learn from my mistake.

Adam

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Qomn,

I live in Massachusetts and had some of your concerns as well. I'm currently a Stage 2 Unitronic ECU/TCU vehicle with Unitronic catted downpipe and AWE track exhaust. As the others mentioned, I worked with a specific VW/Audi shop and I mentioned the O2 spacer and they knew exactly what I was getting at. Just get a high quality downpipe with a decent cat and a tuning platform that allows the flash back to stock. Present day, I wish I went with Cobb so I could get a Protune, but lesson be learned. I will be going bigger turbo in the long-run and might just get it now. Unitronic isn't bad, I knew it was more conservative, but the more and more I drive my car, a lot, the more I wished I went with a custom tune that really took advantage of all further modifications. Sorry to go off topic a little, but learn from my mistake.

Adam
Hi Adam!

I did end up going Cobb AP, so I'm glad that's what you recommend. I had a catted downpipe installed with an O2 spacer, I drove maybe 50 miles or so on the stock ECU from that Friday until I received my Cobb AP Monday and flashed to stage 2. During that time I didn't get a CEL, so I'm hoping I'm able to flash to stock ECU and pass emissions testing without having to do a downpipe swap.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Adam!

I did end up going Cobb AP, so I'm glad that's what you recommend. I had a catted downpipe installed with an O2 spacer, I drove maybe 50 miles or so on the stock ECU from that Friday until I received my Cobb AP Monday and flashed to stage 2. During that time I didn't get a CEL, so I'm hoping I'm able to flash to stock ECU and pass emissions testing without having to do a downpipe swap.

Do they do a sniffer test, or just plug in and scan for codes?

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Visual is the only thing that could go wrong, but I haven't heard of people failing for that reason. Maybe another Boston resident could recommend a shop they have good luck with passing? Haha

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do they do a sniffer test, or just plug in and scan for codes?

Codes + visual.

Per CARB regulations, even moving an OEM cat is a failure. All downpipes should fail but most inspectors either don't know or care.

In a some states, they're starting to make inspectors wear body cameras and take pictures of specific things to submit with the inspection paperwork.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I've emailed EQT about this, but no reply yet after several days - maybe you guys know. The EQT tune on my Cobb AP has a confusing name, it seems to list both 93 and 91 octane tunes, with only the 91 name being shown under most recently flashed. There also doesn't seem to be a way to choose one or another since they're under the same selection. Could this be a mistake? I selected a 93 octane tune when I bought it and I want to be sure that's what I've got flashed.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I've emailed EQT about this, but no reply yet after several days - maybe you guys know. The EQT tune on my Cobb AP has a confusing name, it seems to list both 93 and 91 octane tunes, with only the 91 name being shown under most recently flashed. There also doesn't seem to be a way to choose one or another since they're under the same selection. Could this be a mistake? I selected a 93 octane tune when I bought it and I want to be sure that's what I've got flashed.

Possibly it’s just a general for both 91 and 93, depending on your location and what gas you have available to you

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

How high does the timing advance, my base 93 goes up to 8-9 degrees

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
They got back to me, it was a mistake. He sent the 93 tune in the email, will have to flash it now. I'm curious if I'll actually feel any difference, I'm thinking probably no haha.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
They got back to me, it was a mistake. He sent the 93 tune in the email, will have to flash it now. I'm curious if I'll actually feel any difference, I'm thinking probably no haha.

Might be surprised, it can make a difference with more custom tunes. Especially if gas quality is good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I think that you should feel a difference. A little more timing with the 93. I don't have an EQT tune but I gained 23 HP when I went from a 91 tune to a 93 tune.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
A similar question to the original question. If I have a JB4 and add a catted DP, as long as I run it on Map0 (stock), it's guaranteed to achieve readiness? This would mean that I could change back to Map0, drive it for 50 miles or so, and pass emissions. Yay or nay?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
A similar question to the original question. If I have a JB4 and add a catted DP, as long as I run it on Map0 (stock), it's guaranteed to achieve readiness? This would mean that I could change back to Map0, drive it for 50 miles or so, and pass emissions. Yay or nay?
Nay.

A high flow cat is not nearly as efficient as the stock cat, so the car will know and throw a CEL.

Sometimes you can get away with it using a non-fouler to trick the sensor.

Flashing back to Map 0 on a JB4 does nothing. Regardless of the map, the sensor is still active and using OEM parameters for pass/ fail