GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only took 4 days. Pics of clutch.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
The Massachusetts lemon laws are some of the best in the nation honestly. I just read them and you are correct. Make sure to take the car and get it flashed back to stock after repairs are completed. Trade it in for a DSG if you are gonna modify with a loan.
I won't be trading it in lol. I prefer a manual. I don't drag race or anything so not looking for the quickest car. Just something fun to drive. I've got an aftermarket extended warranty to cover me after the lemon law runs out.

If that company ever tried to deny a claim down the road for a tune it could be argued thats how the car was sold to me. Plus it would be hard for them to know if it was flashed back to stock since they don't scan cars like that the same way VW would. I'll never be going past a stage 2 with exhaust and intake. It's a daily driver not a race car.

Lets just hope all this is just a clutch and the car will be fine after a replacement. I should know the details tomorrow and the dealership is sending me pics once they open it up.

P.S. they gave me a jetta as a rental ?

Last edited:

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
I would be threatening action based on the premise that they advertised a sale fraudulently by not listing the tune and subsequent lack of OEM warranty. Your intention to tune is outside of this equation.

Hope your car gets fixed, but I’d have my money back. This is awful.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
I would be threatening action based on the premise that they advertised a sale fraudulently by not listing the tune and subsequent lack of OEM warranty. Your intention to tune is outside of this equation.

Hope your car gets fixed, but I’d have my money back. This is awful.
Im going there today with a few requests. If we cant come to an agreement I may ask for my money back. They've been good so far so I don't expect much pushback. I think they know they have to take care of this and be a little giving as well.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Dropped the parts off today. They are installing the new clutch, flywheel, bleeder block, stainless clutch cable, and they are also doing the fluidamper pully.

They are doing to the pully for free for my inconvenience.

After the clutch is in he said they will try to measure end play.....the service advisor wasnt 100% sure if the tech had the tool for it but he said if they can't do it that they will reimburse me if I take it to VW.

I also asked them about how things would go if I were to ever need future warranty work and they basically said the way it works is they call the claim in to the insurance company and the insurance will ask if the car has been modified. He said they always say no (they want the work) and hes never seen the insurance company come out to investigate. He did say just as a precaution that I should come in with a stock tune just it doesn't raise any red flags with anyone but it should bever be a problem because they dont even look for things like that.

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ If they don't have a dial indicator, buy one yourself and bring it and have them do it before doing anything else. It is not an expensive tool. The tiny price and slight delay in being sure is nothing compared to how upset you will be if you skip this chance to find out now before having a bunch of work done on it, and it toasts shortly thereafter.

BTW, what year / trim is your car? Not sure I ever saw it mentioned. Supposedly crankwalk failure is most common in early versions.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
You'll need a mount as well, but they should have both.

Try the visual check first. The ones I've heard about were ass visible just by watching the pulley while actuating the clutch.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
^^^ If they don't have a dial indicator, buy one yourself and bring it and have them do it before doing anything else. It is not an expensive tool. The tiny price and slight delay in being sure is nothing compared to how upset you will be if you skip this chance to find out now before having a bunch of work done on it, and it toasts shortly thereafter.

BTW, what year / trim is your car? Not sure I ever saw it mentioned. Supposedly crankwalk failure is most common in early versions.
I'm not paying for the work anyways. If they dont have the part then they are suppossed to be sending it to get checked at VW and at their cost. And yes it's a 2017 sport. So it's also unlikely this is anything more than the clutch but still taking the precautions.

Im hoping they open it up today. They are sending pictures so I'll post them as soon as I get them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dropped the parts off today. They are installing the new clutch, flywheel, bleeder block, stainless clutch cable, and they are also doing the fluidamper pully.

They are doing to the pully for free for my inconvenience.

After the clutch is in he said they will try to measure end play.....the service advisor wasnt 100% sure if the tech had the tool for it but he said if they can't do it that they will reimburse me if I take it to VW.

I also asked them about how things would go if I were to ever need future warranty work and they basically said the way it works is they call the claim in to the insurance company and the insurance will ask if the car has been modified. He said they always say no (they want the work) and hes never seen the insurance company come out to investigate. He did say just as a precaution that I should come in with a stock tune just it doesn't raise any red flags with anyone but it should bever be a problem because they dont even look for things like that.

Congratulations. You handled that very good.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was thinking, why would the person who had this car originally drop the cash for APR+ and then ditch it at the first sign of trouble?

Seems like an odd sequence, previous owner must have lost thousands of dollars in the transaction.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
I was thinking, why would the person who had this car originally drop the cash for APR+ and then ditch it at the first sign of trouble?

Seems like an odd sequence, previous owner must have lost thousands of dollars in the transaction.
I'm not sure. Probably just didn't want to pay $2300 for a clutch when he felt it starting to go. He did own the car for 2 1/2 years. Only had the tune maybe a year of that time.

And I'm sure he lost a ton. They go for what about 30k new? I paid $18,500 which means the dealer probably gave him less than 15k

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Clutch starts to go, he calls APR and they tell him it's a wear item. He then panics and ditches the car thus compounding financial losses. Just seems odd to have the cash for the APR+ (cause it's pretty pricey) but not the cash for a clutch.

Obviously many assumptions here about facts not actually in evidence.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, that definitely makes sense.

Clutch starts to go, he calls APR and they tell him it's a wear item. He then panics and ditches the car thus compounding financial losses. Just seems odd to have the cash for the APR+ (cause it's pretty pricey) but not the cash for a clutch.

Obviously many assumptions here about facts not actually in evidence.
He also lowered the car....assuming he paid the dealer for labor on that too. Idk mybe he was just ready for something else anyways.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
So heres the final update. Car is put back together and they measured end play of the crank and said there is no movement at all. So all good there.

The clutch on the other hand was a mess. The vibration I felt was because half the disk was actually stuck to the flywheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_112724_01 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200127_112724_01 (1).jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20200127_112715_01.jpg
    IMG_20200127_112715_01.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20200127_112701_01 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200127_112701_01 (1).jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 279

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Wow, that poor clutch... I'm not sure I've ever seen one that bad...