GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
awesome Ed, look forward to your documented results. I'd throw $20 in on dyno time if someone would dyno compare the stock mk7 intake vs something like the IE intake with the hood closed also on your dyno just because I'm curious

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
So everyone says that your dyno is generous but a 100 hp bump has to be felt. That said I am running a stage 2 tune and the car just really does not feel that fast. I don’t know if I am just used to the power or perhaps I have another issue. Is there a process for OTS customers to submit logs to see if things are running smoothly?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I've considered this, but to make it really reliable and consistent, people would have to upgrade the HPFP. I've seen some cars where the stock HPFP has a hard time keeping up with stage 2 power levels on pump gas.

-- Ed

That's what the MK6 Golf R needed for stage 2 pump. That was just the way of life on those cars, I'm sure you could blaze some trails and core swap some HPFPs for extra $$ on top!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
So everyone says that your dyno is generous but a 100 hp bump has to be felt. That said I am running a stage 2 tune and the car just really does not feel that fast. I don’t know if I am just used to the power or perhaps I have another issue. Is there a process for OTS customers to submit logs to see if things are running smoothly?

Not really. Generally you'd have to go with a custom tune. If you join our FB group, sometimes customers post logs in there for other members to review.

Assuming you have the latest revision of your tune, the car should feel good. Of course you'll get used to power eventually.

-- Ed

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A good customer is letting us use his stock 2018 Golf R for some R&D before we install our turbo and make it into a monster. It has been a long time since I've had my hands on a bone stock R, so I'm taking this opportunity to take the car through the stages and refine my base tunes. The car is completely stock with about 6k miles on it.

First we ran some stock baseline pulls. The blue lines show a median run on the stock tune. We're enjoying some nice cool weather right now, so numbers will look a bit extra healthy in general even though we are using SAE correction.

After getting the baselines out of the way, I proceeded to load our EQT Stage 1 91 Octane base tune. The tune made good power right away, but there was a little boost fluctuation and the curve didn't quite meet my standards. So I spent the better part of a day going through and refining the tune. You can see the result in the green curves. Again, the cold weather is helping a bit here as I never expected this much gain from tuning alone. This map will be the basis for a future base tune revision release, but it may get dialed back a little bit after further hot lap testing and final testing on a handful of vehicles around the country. I expect the final 91 Octane Base Tune to be within 10whp of these runs.

After I was done with the fun stuff, I decided to test the Cobb 91 Octane Stage 1 High Boost OTS tune. You can see the results of that in the magenta lines. This tune seems to run very low boost, peaking around 23psi. It makes some clear gains over stock, but obviously leaves a lot on the table.

Next up, we're going to install some colder spark plugs, downpipe, intake, and intercooler so that I can test and refine our stage 2 Base Tunes.

View attachment 163237

That's extremely impressive on a stock car. I really need to find a local dyno place that will allow you to do a remote dyno tune.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I'm excited to follow this, post up that Stage 2 tune!

ALX.MK7

I'm assuming the 93 octane maps have similar increases? Are these new maps being offered now or are you still waiting on some more refinement? Looking to flash Stage 1 (plus?) soon but I can definitely wait for these versions!

davcohen

Ready to race!
Next up, we're going to install some colder spark plugs, downpipe, intake, and intercooler so that I can test and refine our stage 2 Base Tunes.

My car is finally going to be ready within the next 2-3 weeks and was going to order your tune, just wondering if you purchase now will we get the updated file once its completed or will there be a further charge? Also wondering if you are going to update the crackle part of the tune?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My car is finally going to be ready within the next 2-3 weeks and was going to order your tune, just wondering if you purchase now will we get the updated file once its completed or will there be a further charge? Also wondering if you are going to update the crackle part of the tune?

You will likely get a quicker response by contacting EQT through their website.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I'm assuming the 93 octane maps have similar increases? Are these new maps being offered now or are you still waiting on some more refinement? Looking to flash Stage 1 (plus?) soon but I can definitely wait for these versions!

I'm doing more extensive testing before I release the new map. And yes, the 93 maps will be updated as well.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

You would have to pay the $25 fee to upgrade to the latest revision when its released.

Burbles are getting revised a bit as well in this one.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ok that seems pretty fair, So 2 tunes for $200

It's not 2 tunes... $25 is just a nominal processing fee to provide any future revisions for a tune you purchases previously.

-- Ed