GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about trading 2017 Civic Si for new GTI

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'm one of those weirdos who prefer a manual over the DSG, despite the fact that the DSG is much faster at shifting, but that might be more because I like being involved in operating the vehicle more than the performance itself.

There's nothing weird about wanting a manual, for those exact reasons. If driving enjoyment weren't high on our collective list of features, this forum wouldn't exist and we'd all be on a different forum, discussing how much we love our silver Ford Escapes.

themaincop

OP: "How dumb is this"?
Hard to answer you OP without knowing your debt to income ratio, salary, etc. etc. If you are asking the question, sounds like you are doubting it yourself. Go drive a GTI several times first. If you're going to lose $4k, it all depends on how smart that is to you and yours. If you can afford it - get the car you want. Otherwise, you're going to do just fine driving your money's worth out of that Honda. What worries me is your comment about leasing - you've either got money to burn or lots to learn! ;)

Money to burn, my wife and I are DINKs and both make good money. Doesn't mean I necessarily want to do *extremely* dumb things with my money but I'm also never going to be one of those guys who drives ten year old Corollas, never takes vacations, and tries to retire in his 40s. The reason leasing appeals to me is because I know myself and in 3 years time I'm going to be looking at trading up again anyway. I'm a car enthusiast so I'm always watching car youtube, reading car forums, and thinking about that next one. From what I've read leasing is the less expensive way to keep yourself in newer cars. I know the smart thing is to buy a used car and drive it until it becomes too expensive to keep it on the road but... I don't wanna ? I also only drive like 10k km/year so the mileage limits are no problem for me. Plus sales tax is high in Ontario so you save a bit there too. I'm willing to be educated on the subject though, for all I know the stuff I've read was written by dealership owners! The downside with a car like this is obviously no modding but I'm not sure if it's a must-mod car the way the Si is (TSP Stage 1 gives me +75tq, that's ridiculous).

And yeah the OTD cost of a Rabbit GTI with DSG and DAP in Ontario with sales tax etc. is about $43k.

Anyway maybe I should keep the Civic for another year and just pay off the remaining $10k. Also I should probably just go test drive a GTI so that I can stop imagining it as the perfect Uber-car that will solve all my problems forever.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
go to a dealer and get real numbers rather than a bunch of guess numbers. While there test hockey equipment. I'll throw out if 3 guys and gear don't fit it rules you out for having to be the car bitch for your team. If you really need/want room look at the new GLI. 2 yrs in my GTI and it's amazing.

Mud

petah1

If you plan on modding then you will need to consider a new clutch as well if you go with manual even with a stage 1 tune. If you are leasing then get the JB4.

Also, get the Drivers Assistance Package. You will appreciate it in stop and go traffic with the radar cruise control. And get the OBDEleven and do some tweaks (best tweak I’ve done is to make the lane keep assist more sensitive. Car rides like it is on rails after 60km/h.

we did a 4 year lease 25,000km/year and we are paying around $520 CDN after taxes. Not the best deal but it is not bad.

lastly... you might want to look into Golf R if you think you can afford it. There are deals to be had as 2019 was the last year R being made. Some dealers around may still have inventory and are willing to make a good deal. or get a GLI... it is a bit cheaper than the GTI and has digital dash, additional features for less!

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
The only downside for leasing is no modding,

Why? Things like the JB1 and rear sway bar are relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and could be sold when your lease is up.

I wouldn't go invest the time, effort and money on things like wheels and downpipes and other big ticket mods, but there are some relatively easy and affordable things you could do to make the car more enjoyable for your lease duration.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Money to burn, my wife and I are DINKs and both make good money. Doesn't mean I necessarily want to do *extremely* dumb things with my money but I'm also never going to be one of those guys who drives ten year old Corollas, never takes vacations, and tries to retire in his 40s. The reason leasing appeals to me is because I know myself and in 3 years time I'm going to be looking at trading up again anyway. I'm a car enthusiast so I'm always watching car youtube, reading car forums, and thinking about that next one. From what I've read leasing is the less expensive way to keep yourself in newer cars. I know the smart thing is to buy a used car and drive it until it becomes too expensive to keep it on the road but... I don't wanna ? I also only drive like 10k km/year so the mileage limits are no problem for me. Plus sales tax is high in Ontario so you save a bit there too. I'm willing to be educated on the subject though, for all I know the stuff I've read was written by dealership owners! The downside with a car like this is obviously no modding but I'm not sure if it's a must-mod car the way the Si is (TSP Stage 1 gives me +75tq, that's ridiculous).

And yeah the OTD cost of a Rabbit GTI with DSG and DAP in Ontario with sales tax etc. is about $43k.

Anyway maybe I should keep the Civic for another year and just pay off the remaining $10k. Also I should probably just go test drive a GTI so that I can stop imagining it as the perfect Uber-car that will solve all my problems forever.

off topic, but how does the stock clutch hold up on the Si to Stage 1 tunes? A stage 1 tune on the GTI will eventually roast our stock clutches

themaincop

If you downshift it's fine, if you try to put the power down in overdrive gears you'll mess your clutch up bad. There are a lot of people on the forums with clutch slip problems and when pressed the majority of them say "oh yeah I pass on the highway in 6th." I've had no problems so far and there are some other forums posters who have been running stage 1 for thousands of miles and also have no problems. I think you can also set boost-by-gear with ktuner to prevent yourself from frying your clutch but I don't think I ever set that up because what's the point of driving stick if you don't pull off a sick rev-match 6-4 downshift right before you dust that old lady in the Kona?

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Last fall my fiance and I were cross-shopping the Civic Si, Jetta GLI, GTI, and WRX. We traded in her 2013 Touareg VR6 because she was complaining about the MPG. Prior to that she was driving a 1995 BMW 325i 5psd. She didnt like the lack of visibility and interior of the GLI. She thought the exterior styling of the Si was too obnoxious. The GTI was a perfect fit for her.... but she ended up getting the WRX. Its a really fun car, but it lacks so many amenities, the ride is harsh and not adjustable, the car's gearbox is like dragging a broom stick in a bucket of gravel and rev hang is awful from 1st to second. She got the middle trim, the "Premium", and you still physically have to use a key for the ignition, has cloth seats, has halogen headlights, doesnt have auto headlights or wipers, and the stereo leaves much to be desired, and funny enough got the worst MPG of all the cars we were looking at.The GTI is what she should have gotten.
So..... the following month I bought a 2019 GTI SE DSG DCC leather and sold my 2007 Audi A4 on Craigslist for $6500. The dealer was only going to give me $2500 for trade in on it. It took about 3 weeks to sell. The GTI is very luxurious in its own right. The only things I am missing are power seats and automatic climate control from my A4. I love the push to start, adaptive dampers, fender audio, the led headlights, the leather seats (we have 2 dogs that shed like crazy), and the massive sunroof. I was originally looking at buying a 2018 CPO GTI or leasing one, but with $5000 off msrp, my monthly payment was actually cheaper to just buy the car. The CPO had a higher interest rate with the bank, and if I were to lease, I wouldnt have gotten the $5000 off. So far I've only done spacers, DG springs, snow tires, and JB4. Sway bar and summer tires are probably next.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
gotta say the civic is a pretty damn nice car. my wife got a civic 'sport' - not the SI so still pretty slow, and has the CVT - But, looks great, sounds good, rides very nicely but also sporty handling. a little lackluster in some features, has small brakes, but the SI would seem like a pretty nice car.

themaincop

Oh yeah I don't think it's a bad car at all, I just think after two years some of the stuff I thought I'd care about it turns out I don't really care about as much and some of the stuff I didn't think I'd care about I actually care about quite a bit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

With leasing you'll always have a car payment. A lease is better known as a fleece.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What if you are ok with always having car payments?

Well if you're okay with always having a car payment go for it. When you get near retirement age and wonder where your money went you'll know. Unless you get rich somehow but not likely with that investment strategy.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Well if you're okay with always having a car payment go for it. When you get near retirement age and wonder where your money went you'll know. Unless you get rich somehow but not likely with that investment strategy.

Cars aren't an investment strategy.

There are a lot of cases where leasing makes sense, and cases when it doesn't. Blanket statements are silly.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
If hauling stuff is so important, why not an Alltrack?