GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a quote of 1500$ for installing Lowering springs.....

695232269@qq.com

Ive done springs on all my cars myself but... when considering 350 quote you really think a shop that's got to pay a monthly lease payment, utilities, insurance on top of other cost of business expenses is really making a killing doing this work?
Also, all the monthly lease payment, utilities, insurance cost u mentioned are FIXED cost, wether u decide to do the installation or not, it won’t change. As long as u starting the business and keep doing it, it is there. So when consider a single business like this, it is stupid to mention those costs. Only extra will be the labor and some potentially opportunity cost.

Don’t get me wrong so, I never said 350 isn’t a fair price, just as a customer stand point, I have my value scale of what I pay and what I get. If the price is not match my expectation, deal doesn’t make.

As simple as that.

695232269@qq.com

A meal from a good restaurant costs more than food from the grocery store. Do you expect restaurants to lower their prices for you so they can build their reputation? Since all they have to do is throw it on the grill for a few minutes and put it on a plate.

Have you told your boss that they could pay you less just so you can build up your reputation in your line of work? That's essentially what you are proposing here...

I clearly don't know your background and life experiences, but you have a lot to learn about the way a business is run and the way the world works.
U know what, that’s the quote I get actually (30bucks for installation).
so yea, good shop will do.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Also, all the monthly lease payment, utilities, insurance cost u mentioned are FIXED cost, wether u decide to do the installation or not, it won’t change. As long as u starting the business and keep doing it, it is there. So when consider a single business like this, it is stupid to mention those costs. Only extra will be the labor and some potentially opportunity cost.

Don’t get me wrong so, I never said 350 isn’t a fair price, just as a customer stand point, I have my value scale of what I pay and what I get. If the price is not match my expectation, deal doesn’t make.

As simple as that.

Okay, before I said I didn't know your background or line of work. Based on this, you must be an aspiring comedian...:ROFLMAO:

695232269@qq.com

A meal from a good restaurant costs more than food from the grocery store. Do you expect restaurants to lower their prices for you so they can build their reputation? Since all they have to do is throw it on the grill for a few minutes and put it on a plate.

Have you told your boss that they could pay you less just so you can build up your reputation in your line of work? That's essentially what you are proposing here...

I clearly don't know your background and life experiences, but you have a lot to learn about the way a business is run and the way the world works.
Meal from restaurant more expensive than grocery store is because of labor/service. And ain’t that what I pay the 30bucks for?
Did I require that include the dogbone itself there?
what’s the point of this example here?
I am so confused.

edrex

Ready to race!
Why not, Jack it up, take out bolt, put it on, screw on bolt.
I don’t know why is not possible. Even just a favor to do to gain some reputation in the community around is worth it IMO.
You should open a shop so we can get all our shit installed dirt cheap and build your reputation as the place that installs shit for dirt cheap!!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
$300 is a steal...watchutalkinbout? It's at least 3 or 4 hours and most shops are charging over $100/ hour. Flat/book rate will be much higher at the dealer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You need to get some tools and work on your own car if you want to start modding. With an inexpensive ratchet set you can do almost anything. It boggles my mind that people pay these prices.
Some people's time is worth far more and justifies subbing some mods out to folks who can do it far more efficiently.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Last poster has a good point. I’m 71 and still consulting. It is worth it to me to have someone else do the grunt work. When I am back in the States I tend to do more on my own. To each their own but 3-400 for spring change is entirely reasonable!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Last poster has a good point. I’m 71 and still consulting. It is worth it to me to have someone else do the grunt work. When I am back in the States I tend to do more on my own. To each their own but 3-400 for spring change is entirely reasonable!

I figure $3-400 is more than reasonable. Dealer quoted me ~$900 (because "it has awd"...AHHAHAAHHAHAH...yeah no) and indy Euro shop I use is less but not by much but includes the alignment. These posts are always entertaining and span the full range for "I know a guy that will do it for $100 so that's the benchmark and if you pay more you are stupid" to the high-end from a dealer that will use a book/flat rate regardless of actual time. Other questions to ask: does this price include all the required hardware i.e. some bolts should be replaced/are one-time use, does this include new strut bearings/mounts, does this include an alignment, etc. I personally prefer to not worry as much about price as I do the whole package and making sure the shop does it correctly, will stand by the work, etc., uses high-quality parts, and has a good reputation. Price is only a one-dimensional value for a service and if that's your primary concern, then so be it. Price, quality, service - pick 2. Most folks that I've read here that DIY spend a full day doing this job and it's a PITA to get the fronts done. Charging a premium for premium service/quality is not "ripping you off".

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
^ SO this. Coilovers are still what I'm eyeing.

I'm so sick of my OEM suspension.....on a gentle curve with a bump, I've bottomed out and slammed/scraped my front left bumper multiple times due to it being so soft......can't stand it (on powhite going north across the James, tigeo)

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
69, what is your location? I know a guy (billy)

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
time is money and experience counts. $20 won't pay the shop the time it takes them to pull your car into the shop, put it on the lift, then off the lift and back out the door.

I'm happy to pay a shop a proper amount for work I don't care to do myself. Everything else I do myself.