GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to tell if the car I bought is tuned?

Jango_22

Is there any way to know for sure if the gti I bought is tuned? I bought a 2017 today that the guys at the dealership think was tuned but I don’t know for sure. Mechanically it’s stock but I want to know if it has a stage 1 tune. Is there any way to tell?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is there any way to know for sure if the gti I bought is tuned? I bought a 2017 today that the guys at the dealership think was tuned but I don’t know for sure. Mechanically it’s stock but I want to know if it has a stage 1 tune. Is there any way to tell?

Ask the dealer to check the flash counter unless only VW has access to that.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What if it's a manual trans? And if it's a DSG he would need to be in sport mode right?
mines manual and since I’m only on JB4 I cannot gas and brake together well at least enough to significantly build anything for brake boosting.

Also if you can view boost levels it be visible to see it’s got higher levels.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Know anyone else with a stock GTI? Do a few runs from 40mph to whatever you don't feel comfortable exceeding. If you're neck and neck, then you're stock. If you're consistently pulling a few car lengths, then you are tuned.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Flash tunes usually eliminate the 124 mph speed limiter.

Jango_22

mines manual and since I’m only on JB4 I cannot gas and brake together well at least enough to significantly build anything for brake boosting.

Also if you can view boost levels it be visible to see it’s got higher levels.
The built In performance monitor of the dash shows boost. How much would it run stock? I know my mk5 ran at 12 pounds and I think the new one hit like 12 or 14 on a pull.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The built In performance monitor of the dash shows boost. How much would it run stock? I know my mk5 ran at 12 pounds and I think the new one hit like 12 or 14 on a pull.
i don't know if the monitor does corrections or what not, and boost does vary based on IATs. But 12-14 max is cold weather stock levels.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
floor it. if its slow, not tuned. if its quick, tuned

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
No offense to the OP but he may think that a stock GTI is fast if he's coming from a slower car.
yup... then again its all subjective - my car is at stage 2 levels and while i consider the word "quick" and fun i still fee its slow in general.