GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stage 2 with no intercooler

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Car will be a turd in the summer with the A/C on especially.
Soooooo this. Enjoy the winter, but start planning for an IC upgrade before spring/summer

The Fat and the Furriness

Passed Driver's Ed
Ambient air temps are not as important with regards to the intercooler performance. The job of the intercooler is to take very hot exhaust gases entering the turbo, which compresses the gas making the temps even hotter, and reducing the temps as close to ambient as possible.

The intercooler is working with >500 F temps and trying to bring this temp back to ambient as quickly as possible. Technically, in colder weather the IC is more efficient, but at 100 F or 30 F, the IC is still doing its thing and can provide a noticeable performance increase in all situations.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Ambient air temps are not as important with regards to the intercooler performance. The job of the intercooler is to take very hot exhaust gases entering the turbo, which compresses the gas making the temps even hotter, and reducing the temps as close to ambient as possible.

The intercooler is working with >500 F temps and trying to bring this temp back to ambient as quickly as possible. Technically, in colder weather the IC is more efficient, but at 100 F or 30 F, the IC is still doing its thing and can provide a noticeable performance increase in all situations.

I've rarely measured the compressor outlet temperature of an IS38 in excess 350F.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I’ve been thinking about that majesty intercooler just cause it’s cheap and would help a little during the summer months...I don’t even really beat on the car for having a stage 2 tune

I ran my Uni stage 2 here in NH for prob a year and a half before getting the MAJIC intercooler. I will tell you the intercooler really woke up the tune. The car pulls much stronger now than it did with the OEM unit. I did mine in April '18 before the weather was warm and it was still a notable difference if that tells you anything. Install wasn't bad... it took me 4 hrs by myself and that included making modifications to the intercooler for fitment issues. To date the thing is still running solid.

Kyle1116

Ready to race!
I ran my Uni stage 2 here in NH for prob a year and a half before getting the MAJIC intercooler. I will tell you the intercooler really woke up the tune. The car pulls much stronger now than it did with the OEM unit. I did mine in April '18 before the weather was warm and it was still a notable difference if that tells you anything. Install wasn't bad... it took me 4 hrs by myself and that included making modifications to the intercooler for fitment issues. To date the thing is still running solid.
So you have good experience with the magic intercooler eh? Do you really like it that much? Was it worth the small price?

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
So you have good experience with the magic intercooler eh? Do you really like it that much? Was it worth the small price?

It was definitely worth the price considering that some intercoolers go for $800.00. Sure you're paying for better fitment but part of that price is paying a premium for the name brand as well.

If you're handy with tools and don't mind doing some work yourself it's a solid investment. With the minor fitment issues it's not something I would want a tech at a shop trying to mod/fix.

FWIW, If you purchase one I highly recommend getting the model that comes with the silicone hoses because the worm gear on my OEM charge pipe hose destroyed itself when removing it, so I was super glad I got the new hoses when that happened. Getting a pair of the yellow core support clips makes the process quicker too.

roystr

Ready to race!
IC install is one the most painful jobs on this car. If you've never done it before, you might need a therapist after you're done.

Get an intercooler that will do the job so that you don't have to do it twice. Ie, don't buy a Golf R intercooler!

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
IC install is one the most painful jobs on this car. If you've never done it before, you might need a therapist after you're done.

Get an intercooler that will do the job so that you don't have to do it twice. Ie, don't buy a Golf R intercooler!

Maybe not a therapist but the job definitely deserves a few beers on completion. ;) The R intercooler is a waste of time and doesn't solve the heat soak issue so should be avoided.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
i'll echo everyone else. I ran a stage 2 tune for 1 track day without an intercooler and in 95*+ it was miserable. 2 laps in and the car was pulling lots of power. I would estimate that after 4 laps, when the oil was closer to 285-295* that I was making less power than stock. On the street it was mostly fine, but I drive within 5mph of the speed limit and don't act silly on public roads. If you live someplace warm and humid, you might not notice a lack of intercooler because they're actually more efficient with high humidity. If you're somewhere hot and arid though, you'll notice very quickly.

should you get an IC before a DP? Probably, but in reality people seldom do, and most tunes/ecu changes are smart enough to take that into account. In theory you should also be upgrading your brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, and all other fluids before going for more power, but no one ever does that either.

Kyle1116

Ready to race!

I hear that LOUD AND CLEAR lmao I’m already on edge lmfao don’t wanna deal with that kinda nonsense ?

Kyle1116

Ready to race!
i'll echo everyone else. I ran a stage 2 tune for 1 track day without an intercooler and in 95*+ it was miserable. 2 laps in and the car was pulling lots of power. I would estimate that after 4 laps, when the oil was closer to 285-295* that I was making less power than stock. On the street it was mostly fine, but I drive within 5mph of the speed limit and don't act silly on public roads. If you live someplace warm and humid, you might not notice a lack of intercooler because they're actually more efficient with high humidity. If you're somewhere hot and arid though, you'll notice very quickly.

should you get an IC before a DP? Probably, but in reality people seldom do, and most tunes/ecu changes are smart enough to take that into account. In theory you should also be upgrading your brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, and all other fluids before going for more power, but no one ever does that either.
So far I’ve gotten new tires/suspension and all new fluids, currently waiting to install new brake rotors and pads all around as well. I definately do plan on upgrading to a better intercooler definately not the R’s though lol, thank you for the helpful info all of you guys are appreciated big time