GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

17 GTI S Chirping Noise

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Did anyone else notice most of the issues are on people with manuals? Of the people posted that have sigs or say m6 in profile. sounds like vertigos was crankwalk because bearing ate itself. etrips yours is a sachs 4 puck. Might be worth dropping oil pan yourself and looking.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Did anyone else notice most of the issues are on people with manuals? Of the people posted that have sigs or say m6 in profile. sounds like vertigos was crankwalk because bearing ate itself. etrips yours is a sachs 4 puck. Might be worth dropping oil pan yourself and looking.

Going to sound stupid, but what would I be looking for when dropping the oil pan?

Nappy216

Ready to race!
My dealer agreed to do the TSB but said they need to order the tools. 4 weeks later ....crickets. When I follow up the promise to call back but never do.

Looked at the service manual. Def not a DYI calls for these tools:
Counter holder - T10355 $71 at ECS
Locking pin T10060 WAG <$10
Assembly Tool: T10531 has 4 parts. $210 for ECS Schawben made version.
Seal remover: T40274 (prob not necessary)
Seal installer: T10354

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Yeah trying to get my local mechanic to get his opinion on it. Not 100% convinced it’s the crank pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

I got mine used at 6k mi, didn't notice anything, then 1k mi later had power pulley kit installed along with a tune, still no chirp 2k mi later.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
Dealer replaced the Pulley, seal, and bolt yesterday per the TSB listed in this thread.

Noise is gone.

Hope it doesn't come back in another 24k.

Daven1

I went to the dealer a little over a week ago with the TSB and a video of the chirp. They replaced the pulley, seal, bolt and belt all on warranty. So far no noise.

Just want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. After 6 months of hunting and 2 years with the noise no chirp is a beautiful thing.

Juggar

Ready to race!
Wonder how hard its gonna be to get my dealer to do this under warranty....

Almost worth not dealing with it since ill be trading before the bumper to bumper warranty is up.

joeblonewjersey

Ready to race!
2016 GTI with 22k miles, no more 36 mo warranty, so am I not under any alternate 36k mile warranty? If this is a common problem and disclosed via a TSB, and some pay, other get it under warranty, etc., etc., is a a potential class action, eventually?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I had this same noise after installing my fluidampr. I did notice my tensioner and not my pulley ended up scoring a little and has a little groove in it, but I no longer hear the noise and it's been a few months now since install. I'm DSG

Last edited:

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Parts replaced by VW to fix this issue for anyone out of warranty
06K-109-210-AJ Timingcase
D-174-003-M2 Sealant (probably just ultra grey)
WHT-001-760 Screw (something they probably dropped and lost)
06H-105-243-K Damper

There is no mention of a seal, so I think we can assume the issue is clearance between the timing cover and harmonic dampener.

BTW There is no mention of a seal because the timing cover comes with it pre-installed ;)

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
Parts replaced by VW
(1) 06K-103-649-J - oil pan gasket
(1) 06H-105-243-K - damper
(1) WHT-001-760 - screw ( harmonic balancer bolt )
(1) 06L-103-085-B - seal

Tech Tip 13-18-01TT helped.
There was a groove in the pulley.
They replaced the seal without removing the timing cover.
Crankshaft end play measurement that's listed in the tech tip procedure was OK.

No noise so far.

Last edited:

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Just changed my clutch and DP out this weekend on a 2018 SE. I now have this intermittent chirping noise that I can't seem to pinpoint. is there anything that could have happened during my install that would cause something to go wrong with the pulley or harmonic balancer?