GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Check out the screenshot of the service action. On the bottom it mentions mailers. Mailers would indicate a recall action since TSBs only come up when you are in for service. Also note "repair all cars, etc"

Attachments

• 4BED4B8F-4D52-47A8-9317-D3880CBC72AC.jpeg
    4BED4B8F-4D52-47A8-9317-D3880CBC72AC.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 205

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
@GTIfan99

This guy said:

The problem is known, not identified. Still nobody knows the true root cause of the issue. That's why I am dumbfounded that others who have had their car "fixed" are just OK with it. They band-aided a problem, sure it looks like they stopped the bleeding, but what other damage/problems lie beneath what that band-aid is just covering up? Yeah the soft stalling seems like a mostly harmless flame out or something, but the reality is that it could be a bigger problem causing other major issues down the line. If the engine is cutting out because of something like oil starvation, then we could have very expensive maintenance in a few years.

I replied:

Let’s not forget, not all 2019 GTI/GLI 6mt’s have the issue.

To which you said:

Or do they all have the underlying issue, but not all stall? I think you're making a huge assumption.

For the sake of argument, let's say that it turns out it's the 0w-20 oil not building enough oil pressure at lower RPM's and a big discrepancy between requested and actual timing. The ECU may adjust to compensate, the engine may be less prone to stalling as it breaks in, or whatever...it's not important.

In that case, due to manufacturing tolerances and every car's ECU learning being different due to different driver and conditions, every car would have the issue, but not every car would stall.

This confused me, as I wasn’t making an assumption that some of the cars in question are not stalling. I can say with 100% confidence there is at least one, mine, and more based on the reports of others, that don’t Jax’s the stalling issue.

Stalling would be the symptom, not that actual issue. It's like 1000 people all being infected with a virus, but only some people are experiencing explosive diarrhea. Make sense? You're using disease and symptom synonymously. The root cause and symptom aren't the same thing. All cares can be affected by the root cause, they all might not stall. Stalling was just the first symptom noticed and reported. Others have had poor gas mileage, failed o2 sensors, and poor driveability or a combination of those symptoms. Symptom and root cause are completely different things.

And if I'm correct, all mk7 GLI manuals and 2019 GTI manuals will be included in this campaign. We'll know soon enough.

I never said not all had the underlying problem, because we all have been spitballing what the underlying problem is. We were basing our opinions, some rather vehemently, based on conjecture.

I was pointing out that another variable in all of this was some cars don’t seem to be affected.

This is all academic though as my car is showing the open issue too.

FFC1A91B-02E9-42A2-96C7-7568E4BE397C.jpeg

cb1111

Should get that on Tuesday When I go.

I asked if they could check for a TSB and the response was that TSB went to dealers And she couldn’t pull that info as customer Care, but said let me search for a recalls, then after a min or 2 said there was one that went live this morning... is is not possible NHSTA has a lag in Posting / listing in thier server?

as noted above I did this direct with vwoa this morning not my dealer
It'll be interesting to see what they give you on Tuesday.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Y’all are being a bit touchy over the semantics of this problem which none of us know. Woof.

That screenshot is likely more info than we’ll get on our service docs as we leave. I’ll still ask, but I’m not anticipating more than a shoulder shrug.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Y’all are being a bit touchy over the semantics of this problem which none of us know. Woof.

That screenshot is likely more info than we’ll get on our service docs as we leave. I’ll still ask, but I’m not anticipating more than a shoulder shrug.

We should get a nice technical report from the NHTSA in a matter of days/weeks/months (really hope not months) when they close out my defect petition. They need to state what they uncovered and if it will lead to a recall or not. But that documentation will be very, very detailed.

cb1111

Check out the screenshot of the service action. On the bottom it mentions mailers. Mailers would indicate a recall action since TSBs only come up when you are in for service. Also note "repair all cars, etc"
No necessarily. there is a category of service action where mailers go out to customers that aren't recalls. Sometimes this happens in anticipation of a recall - or, quite frankly - to ward off a recall.

Unfortunately, just while we talk of "voiding the warranty" when we really mean "warranty repair denial", most people (including people at the manufacturer) use terms like TSB, Service action and recall interchangeably.

My call this morning yielded a "no recall, maybe later, but a probable fix", so we'll see.

The final doc will be interesting (y)

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
So thoughts on if they will expand this to include the DSG models? I think I saw maybe a 2 DSG models looped in when I went through the NHTSA reports and flagged them. Obviously not the bulk of them, but some still had a bit of the same stalling issue crop up.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
We should get a nice technical report from the NHTSA in a matter of days/weeks/months (really hope not months) when they close out my defect petition. They need to state what they uncovered and if it will lead to a recall or not. But that documentation will be very, very detailed.
That’s what I figured would happen. VW won’t be printing out brochures about what the problem is/was, just what the symptom was and that they’re fantastic and fixed it for us :rolleyes:

cb1111

One point to highlight is that we'd be nowhere near this point if DCF hadn't petitioned for an investigation. This also proves that reporting problems is important.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
"when in doubt, a mountain of paperwork can still accomplish something"

Kind of wonder if my next mission should be failing thermostat housings and coolant pumps.

GO!!

5510A81E-637F-4924-97A8-3C2E6DD88256.jpeg