GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's all the hype about LED lighting?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I had to rent a minivan this weekend and it was my first experience with LED ambient lighting. I didn't realize it until nighttime. I'm going to put my flame suit on now, because I know a lot of you like LED lights, but I have to be honest, I thought it was cold and harsh. There's something about the cool blue-white spectrum of the LEDs that just isn't natural (and scientifically studied and believed to be bad for you). I don't understand what there is to like about LED lighting other than it's brighter and uses less energy, which in the context of car ambient lighting, is a negligible issue. But the quality of the light is horrible. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like a nice, warm glow of an incandescent bulb, even if it's not as bright.

I bought a bunch of footwell LED lights for my GSW, now I don't think I'm going to bother installing them... unless VW specs a more natural light spectrum in their LED lights.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
You’re likely right about flames coming. Not from me though I do disagree with you. Aside from them being much whiter and brighter another benefit is the much longer lasting use. Arguably for the life of the car. A benefit not to be minimized.

jpmck

... There's something about the cool blue-white spectrum of the LEDs that just isn't natural (and scientifically studied and believed to be bad for you). ...

From what I've read (and it's been a while since I actually looked at it), blueish light is "bad" for you because it keeps you more alert when you are exposed to it at night (i.e. reading your iPad before bed, etc.).

In fact there have been several applications and moves to have computer screens shift towards the reddish end of the spectrum at night (f.lux, Night Shift on MacOS/iOS, Night Light in Windows 10).

That said, I'm all for blue-white LEDs if it's something that might keep me a little more alert when I'm driving at night.

cb1111

I had to rent a minivan this weekend and it was my first experience with LED ambient lighting. I didn't realize it until nighttime. I'm going to put my flame suit on now, because I know a lot of you like LED lights, but I have to be honest, I thought it was cold and harsh. There's something about the cool blue-white spectrum of the LEDs that just isn't natural (and scientifically studied and believed to be bad for you). I don't understand what there is to like about LED lighting other than it's brighter and uses less energy, which in the context of car ambient lighting, is a negligible issue. But the quality of the light is horrible. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like a nice, warm glow of an incandescent bulb, even if it's not as bright.

I bought a bunch of footwell LED lights for my GSW, now I don't think I'm going to bother installing them... unless VW specs a more natural light spectrum in their LED lights.

Automotive LEDs have the advantage of being instant on. That helps with recognition of brake lights and turn signals.

As far as interior lights are concerned, there are different color temps available to approximate the warm white of an incandescent bulb to that obnoxious blue - and everything in between.

I prefer warm white for anything that goes on at night with one exception - the glove box and trunk where a whiter white lets you "see more".

Don't even think of swapping the vanity lights for cold leds - you SO will never forgive you - you want those to reain warm and dim.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Flame on!

The GTI interior LED'S are more white.
It is a crisp light. Some might think dark but the light is directed to each seat much like on an airplane. It does not just light up the entire interior.
Some LED bulbs on aftermarket are a blue shade.
For foot well LED'S I use red for GTI. R blue also looks nice.

The three bulbs in the GTI that are incandescent do not fit on with the LED'S
Glove box, hatch and license plate all should be switched to LED.

Test the bulbs you purchased.
Better bulbs tend to cost more.
Deautoled is a good stop.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Automotive LEDs have the advantage of being instant on. That helps with recognition of brake lights and turn signals.

As far as interior lights are concerned, there are different color temps available to approximate the warm white of an incandescent bulb to that obnoxious blue - and everything in between.

I prefer warm white for anything that goes on at night with one exception - the glove box and trunk where a whiter white lets you "see more".

Don't even think of swapping the vanity lights for cold leds - you SO will never forgive you - you want those to reain warm and dim.

I was referring to the dome lights, reading lights, vanity lights and the door lights. I completely agree with using LEDs for brake and turns for their instant on.

By the way, this was on a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Can't wait to get back to my GSW.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I don't disagree. They are bright and harsh. It's nice that they are so bright and efficient, but I would prefer a warmer color. They do have a nice modern look though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I would want a test of cars with the same style housing as different cars have good/bad lights. My 2017 Sport has amazing lights. LED's last forever.......Not. I know they tout an insane bulb life but ckt boards and the like fail and while I'm not a car mechanic so only limited exposure with them I've had to replace enough LED lights in buildings to know the life span ain't as advertised.

edit: Oh, interior lighting....never mind

Mud

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
I changed the footwell lights to red in my old GTD for the very reason that I found the cold white lights a little too sterile. These will now be retro fitted into mt new GTI (having removed them from the GTD before selling it)

EMI20044 by Andrew Ellis, on Flickr

EMI20045 by Andrew Ellis, on Flickr

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
LED'S come in different temperatures.
Maybe not for cars yet but for homes, yes.
As car manufacturers push for efficiency in all areas LED'S will be it.

That's what I don't get. My entire home is lit by LED but in a "warm" light spectrum. At least I can't tell the difference from incandescence. Why aren't car manufacturers doing the same?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
southpawboston You are not wrong. Unfortunately most cars will have that obnoxious high color temperature from the factory now. It is normally popular due to the way it makes a car look - it gives a much cleaner more modern appearance if done in the right way.

Sandman GTI - thanks! You are right about the color temps.

We use a high CRI in our LEDs that makes things look much cleaner instead of gas station lighting look for example. We also have a more OEM "yellow/orange" but at 4500k color temperature we designed for people that wanted brighter light without the hyper-white look.

BMW uses yellowish LED color temperature. VW normally uses a blue/white color temperature in their LEDs. We matched our Sun Visor LEDs to the VW Dome light/OEM Sun Visor color temperature and it was the first time we offered this color in any of our LEDs.

Driver side:
Our 4500k light temp

Passenger side:
Our 5500k LED

For comparison.
Driver side in photo below is OEM incadscent.

Passenger side in this photo is ALSO our 5500k LED like in the first photo

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
[We use a high CRI in our LEDs that makes things look much cleaner instead of gas station lighting look for example. We also have a more OEM "yellow/orange" but at 4500k color temperature we designed for people that wanted brighter light without the hyper-white look.

I have OEM LEDs in mine & had to get a trunk LED to match..& it was around the 4500K mark...

oh & high "K" (Kelvin colour temp) is not brighter....just our eyes perceive the light to be brighter because the higher "K" value has more blue wave length light contained in it...thus our eyes perceive it like daylight & we shift to using our daylight ssensors...so really putting a higher "k" value is tricking our eyes & in fact our ability to see into the darkness beyond the pool of light is worse compared to the old incandescent bulbs..

LEDs make matters way worse than any other form of light because cheap white LEDs are made by taking a Blue LED & putting a Yellow phosphor coating on the front face (this is why you see a yellow square in the fitting)..so these LEDs contain at least 33% blue wave length light compared to the old incandescent bulb which had 8% to 16% (max)..comparing the same "K" values..

& yes blue wave length light is concerning as there is a third non-visual mechanism in the human eye...its only function is to register blue wave length light..which then tells the body to wake as its daytime...& this mechanism is also linked directly to our circadian rhyme..eg body clock..& controls hormone etc production..

& Yes I have LEDs at home...2700K ..low blue wave length levels..anything over 3000K is bad as a general night light...

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie

It's mind boggling. Everyone's brain is programmed to think that LED is better, no matter what. Some of it I can handle, I can understand if someone wants a bright interior bulb, or rear hatch bulb - but other items such as rear license plate bulbs - I can't take anyone serious who thinks that's a worthwhile effort. And tail lights - if it wasn't LED from the factory, I don't see the point. Regular bulbs have been doing a fine job for many many many years.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It's mind boggling. Everyone's brain is programmed to think that LED is better, no matter what. Some of it I can handle, I can understand if someone wants a bright interior bulb, or rear hatch bulb - but other items such as rear license plate bulbs - I can't take anyone serious who thinks that's a worthwhile effort. And tail lights - if it wasn't LED from the factory, I don't see the point. Regular bulbs have been doing a fine job for many many many years.

I like LED...especially when its a unit which fits in a regular bulb fitment as if the LED fails (as they do) then you can just get a new LED "bulb"....:)

When they make a whole lighting cluster & the LED section fails you have to buy a whole new cluster...thats bad engineering. But good for their sales dept...

bunch of bankers...:mad: