GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by YamR1rider

1. YamR1rider

DIY 2016 gti alternator replacement

Just be very conscious as to how much you are moving the AC line when you've loosened the bracket - last thing you'd want to do is kink that line! Also make sure your coolant line(s) from the header tank and the hard pipe its connected to are all loosened up and well out of the way.
  2. YamR1rider

Pulling Water Pump, replace or reinstall?

Hmm, it's a tricky one IMO, as it just seems a lottery as to what mileage any given pump will fail. Some start at very low miles, but others can soldier on quite a long time (the one I did on daughters 1.8TSI for example had done near 150k miles and wasn't even leaking - but the thermostat had...
  3. YamR1rider

DIY 2016 gti alternator replacement

That's what I did when I took out the alternator on my daughter's 1.8TSI on the way to taking out the whole accessory bracket to fix a leaking oil seal. Took the alternator out through the top.
  4. YamR1rider

Should i replacre the intake gasket after a walnut blast

Yes, for the reason above. You might get away with reusing.... but unless you are happy to run the risk of possibly having to take the manifold off again, replace it.
  5. YamR1rider

Guess I'll get a battery..

I just buy the cheapest battery I can find,and expect to replace every 3 years max. Would sooner do that over pay more than double for the super-duper warranty ones which cost more than double. I've never before had a car that seems to eat them as fast, or have them fail as completely as these...
  6. YamR1rider

Replacing heater matrix caused coolant temp to drop when heating turned on

Yeah, wouldn't worry about it then. Back in the day, I had an old tuned up Mini1275GT which if given some stick was prone to overheating....cranking the heater to full blast (even in the summer) really helped! 😁
  7. YamR1rider

Replacing heater matrix caused coolant temp to drop when heating turned on

What does the actual gauge do in the car - does it just sit in its usual place? Some fluctuation in coolant temp is to be expected when you turn your heater on as coolant is flowing through all the extra piping and the matrix. If the gauge in the car is stable (it usually takes something...
  8. YamR1rider

Coolant Valve

As Chris says, have a look for the thread on Vortex (I'd link it here, but that seems to get posts deleted) . In the grand scheme of things it's not a bad job - fiddly and annoying, but not really difficult.
  9. YamR1rider

VW MK7 GOLF Cooling issues

Yes I did, and yes it absolutely did. There's a very useful thread over on VW Vortex.
  10. YamR1rider

Golf R/GTI PP Front Brake Upgrade -> Soft Pedal after Brake Flush

It may be possible you still have some air in there somewhere, but my PP GTI has always had a little bit of what you could say feels like 'play' right at the top of the pedal - I've driven a friends R and its exactly the same. Brakes are still spot on in terms of consistency and stopping power...
  11. YamR1rider

crack in moonroof surround

On our high mile car the surround is cracked all the way across in the front left and front right positions. It's a common problem, but it's only cosmetic - it won't leak inside the car (those peaks come from cracks in the inset plastic sunroof frame). The whole sunroof design and plastic...
  12. YamR1rider

Water Pump/Thermostat Housing without Removing Intake Manifold

Unless you've got a lift and can get the car well in the air with lots of working space, removing the manifold is really the way to go. It's really not hard to remove either, just be very careful with the multiple electrical connectors. Taking off the manifold gives you more working room from...
  13. YamR1rider

Slow cabin heat - again

Not sure if the N82 valve applies to 1.4 engines without looking up a workshop manual - it is present on the 2.0 and 1.8s. Pulling the heater matrix is awkward and fiddly, but overall not too bad on these cars - no need for dash removal. With yours being a UK car, it will be located on the...
  14. YamR1rider

NGK Version of Stock Spark Plug

NGK LFER7BHX Ruthenium HX 95125 - has a big following on here, me included. Got them in two cars with mild tunes, no issues at all.
  15. YamR1rider

Mk7 GTI vs. 2024 GLI

Agree....also, 50k miles is nothing. Enjoy it being paid off, keep up with maintenance and be happy. GLI to me (even a newer one) seems more of a lateral move and as @ElectricEye said, GTI hatchback is just more iconic, especially here in the US with the general preference for saloon cars...