GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by w124_karl

1. W

2019 GTI Requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil

Folks buying 508.00 oil - check with your dealer. Last time I changed the Rabbit’s oil, they’d switched from the Castrol in the gold bottles, to VW branded stuff in black bottles. The VW stuff was considerably less expensive - I think about $7/bottle. It has been a while but the gold bottle...
  2. W

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

Something else to consider when it comes to protests - people who file them often get thrown under the bus, especially if they weren't threatening for the win otherwise. I think that's maybe a little unfair - a rules infraction is a rules infraction. Shouldn't matter who files it.
  3. W

Different corner station, but working as station captain at 4/4a on the east (plane) course was really tough. It was set up in such a way that there were two cars in our area at the same time, opposite of one another. So to keep my eyes on the one that was literally pointed right at me on the...
  4. W

I feel like I need to make it clear that I'm not that person. Even though we have the same initials and damn near the same last name. :)
  5. W

I‘m glad I got to meet at least some of you in person! (I’m Aaron’s codriver in the blue TT)
  6. W

Custom performance Alignment Question

Toe can be set to pretty much anything you’d want with the factory stuff. Rear camber is adjustable, but front is not. I have had many alignments done while sitting in the car. Not all shops will be willing to let you do this though. In fact, not all shops will align a car to anything other...
  7. W

2019 G Street Nationals Dashboard

My sense is that a top tier driver having a great event could probably still get it done in a GTI. But a mediocre driver like me is facing an uphill battle.
  8. W

Just to make sure - you're talking about long pressing the button as "all the way off," right? I ask because, when I ran at that local, I had used VCDS to flip a bit such that I'd get the ESC Off warning light with a long press, rather than the factory default ESC Sport setting. So when I said...
  9. W

IIRC, the way he described things to me was that loosening up the car would just make the stability control angrier and be counter productive.
  10. W

Hard for me to say. I don’t know most of these people very well or at all. Looking forward to watching GS in Chicago though. Maybe I’ll luck up and get to work course for it.
  11. W

I didn’t try it. Strano talked me out of it, and since I was offered a ride in an STH TT, I haven’t thought much about developing the GTI further. Of interest - two of the three GS trophies at the NJ Tour went to GTIs.
  12. W

That looks pretty good to me for the rear tire on a GS GTI. Has that only been on the rear, and if so, do you run on a pretty abrasive lot? I don't have a useful one to compare to since I rotate them every event. They're all worn pretty similarly. I've got one event at FIRM in the rain, and...
  13. W

It would be interesting to see that. You’re running front to rear stagger as well, right? I never have thought about tire wear for my rears, I’ve always assumed they were wearing weirdly since I run 50+psi in them, rotate them every event, and don’t flip them. I also tend to not run enough...
  14. W

Just to clarify - rears at 1/2 turn and fronts full stiff?
  15. W

Yeah, that's correct. Sorry I wasn't more clear.