GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by vw83

1. V

APR Stage 1 Low Torque (91) or Stage 1 (91) Tune?

I don't think I'm going to do it. There are too many intangibles for my comfort. I'm sure it would be fun to have the car be faster, but violating warranties, violating lease agreements, potentially damaging the car and almost certainly being out another $800+ for a new clutch over the next 36...
  2. V

Perhaps not but wouldn't you agree there's something odd about a dealer encouraging you to buy products that are in contrast with a warranty? I understand that individual dealers might be separate business entities or franchises, but they are connected to the mothership of VWoA. Just a comment...
  3. V

Honestly, I could care less what happens AFTER my car lease is up. However, one dealer told me that they never sell formerly tuned cars as CPO, but they remove the tune and look over the car and resell it. Virtually every car a dealer sells as preowned has a warranty of some kind, just not of...
  4. V

OK thanks. It's a fascinating relationship that these dealers must have with APR. VWoA must allow or authorize APR to sell their products through these dealerships. It's simply not possible that individual dealerships can decide to sell these products and put a big APR sign on the wall without...
  5. V

Just out of curiosity is your NJ dealer Joe Heidt VW in Ramsey?
  6. V

I just noticed that you have a 6-speed too. How many miles have you put on the car since the tune? Have you experienced any slippage? I'm still thinking it over but I'd love to know your experience.
  7. V

My local VW dealer is an APR authorized dealer which is why I’m considering tuning it at all. I’ve never modified a car in my life. It seems like the GTI is begging for it. He assures me that if I get the low torque APR tune from him ($500) and do my scheduled VW service with him, they’ll be no...
  8. V

Just a middle-aged guy looking to make his GTI a little more like an R but would like to avoid dropping $800 on a new clutch right before I have to turn it in before the end of my lease. Aaarrrggghhh!!!
  9. V

I'm considering a low torque stage 1 APR tune for my 2021 GTI 6-speed. It's $500. My car is leased for the next 36 months but the tune is being done at my local VW dealer who is an APR-certified dealer. They told me not to worry about the car warranty saying as long as I do all of the service...
  10. V

Can I safely do an APR Stage 1 Tune on my new 2021 GTI 6-speed

Yeah, I've pretty much decided I'm not doing it....unless the guy at the VW dealer signs off on it, which he won't do. If I'm lucky, I get away with it and just take the tune out before I give the car back. If I'm unlucky, I'm $1000's in the hole. Not worth it. Regarding the "contractual...
  11. V

I contacted APR directly just to see what they'd say. Here's their response: "Thanks for reaching out. Your concern regarding the clutch is absolutely valid here. These cars are notorious for having fairly weak clutches so slip is deffinelty a concern. What I would say is that overall if you...
  12. V

Yeah, he was very nonchalant about the whole thing. He says they do a lot of them and they rarely have any problems. I've driven a stick shift for over 30 years so that's not the issue. If I know myself I'll think it over for another few weeks and decide not to do it. Most of my driving is...
  13. V

Thanks guys. I think I'm done here. I'll just leave my GTI as it is. Not worth all of the potential aggravation to be able to go a little faster.
  14. V

To be honest, I had absolutely zero interest or even awareness of tuning the car until the dealer mentioned it. For $500 it sounded like fun. Now it sounds absurd. The dealer is an APR approved dealer. The actual person in the service department who would do the install said if he installs it...