GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by victorofhavoc

1. V

Alignment problems

You've got a little thrust angle in the rear, which with the amount of camber can cause some pull from the rear. Based on how little camber you have in the front, I'd back out a bit in the rear (like - 1.8) and even out toe from side to side. That much camber in rear will start to affect how...
  2. V

What parts to place when rebuilding suspension?

Check and replace any rubber parts and metal contact areas that move. For example, endlinks can be a common wear point that's overlooked (any play in an endlink is bad), wheel bearings, alignment adjustment points if frequently touched, tophat if you choose to stick to oem for comfort and quiet...
  3. V

2022 Track Days

I went to NCM March 25/26/27. That is one of the funnest tracks and quite difficult to master! There are definitely a few areas where if you make mistakes and eat it, you will eat a lot of cash. Coming up is Ozark International this weekend and I just purchased entry. I haven't been there yet...
  4. V

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

I have very similar racks and on one the right arm pulled from the stud and the front support broke as i was putting the last wheel/tire up. They came down on me and I prevented them from hitting the car but I got hurt and the wall was mangled. Where the rack was sitting for me though, it could...
  5. V

Recommended pad / polish combo for VW paint?

This all came off very dismissive... Water and lube aren't just for rotary. They're there to prevent overheating. When newcomers to polishing have issues, a good chunk of the time it's from overuse or overwork of the polish or compound. This is especially true when I hear things like "pad...
  6. V

Recommended pad / polish combo for VW paint?

A heavier pad does damage to level the scratches. The harder the pad the more damage is left behind. Are you sure you're not just seeing the leftover scratches from a heavy pad/compound? If you move to a much lighter combo does it take out the swirls and scratches? If you're seeing haze you...
  7. V

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

I'm in the opposite camp. I find what Castrol provides in higher dry boiling point it removes in shelf and use life. I've found myself flushing srf between sessions at the track. Rbf660 was a lot better at long term stability, but still not as good as rbf600. 600 is what I use in the racecar and...
  8. V

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Color me impressed! Our 65" did not fit, but that's probably because the box had a ton of padding. Also, one of my friends learned why laying flat like that isn't ideal when he hit a pothole and the box bounced enough to screw up the panel. He had a vertical row of dead pixels :(. Bestbuy let...
  9. V

California Legal Intercooler (Mk7)?

You'll keep from pulling timing for sure, and that does a ton. If you decide to take the car out for a track day it's a night and day difference!
  10. V

Not a single gain will be had. The intercooler will make your power more reliable when sitting in traffic or doing repeated high rpm runs in warm+ weather. Turbo inlet does almost nothing. I got a small improvement in lag (from pressing throttle to boost building) with one, but after...
  11. V

As a former cyclist who has been clipped by trucks (one I believe was intentional), I really get nervous seeing people riding on smaller country roads. I always slow way down and give them A LOT of room. There was a recent teenager in Texas that tried to coal roll a group of cyclists and put...
  12. V

I saw someone ignorant coal rolling a golf R a few weeks ago in front of me. It's just gross. My windows were closed but a lot of smoke got in and my kid had to breathe it :(. Side note... An F250 can totally smoke an R...
  13. V

Learning how to use the brake pedal is where the most fun is at!! I got a chance to meet and hang out with Ross Bentley, and when someone asked him what the best drivers do well, he said "they know how to use and release the brake." He went into more detail on release characteristics and when...
  14. V

It was a visualization analogy. The majority of the particulates we're talking about are 2.5 to 10 microns in size and they don't easily fall out. The more complex answer, as I'm sure you're aware, is that the fluidity and movement of air is heavily dependent on pressure and temperature changes...
  15. V

There are a lot of factors with temp and humidity. LA is warmer on average. Cold and dense liquids (air acts like a liquid) don't absorb as well. To visualize you can put a cup of water in the fridge and boil a cup of water, then start putting sugar into both cups. The warm water will absorb...