GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by TimCv1

1. T

Traded in my GTI because it needed a turbo replacement

When I read the list I was like "that's it?" I admittedly have a different perspective as I insisted on keeping a 944 going as a DD for about 15 years ("well that was expensive now I have to keep it awhile longer" x how many times)....
  2. T

How do you guys feel about MK7 stage 2 Unitronic?

I have a stage 1 and can't believe how fast it is, particularly at highway speeds and up. I also like how it basically (a la what I understand Ruf's tuning philosophy to be) drives like a more-powerful n/a car at higher rpms rather than just torque (it matches my old departed 944 in this regard...
  3. T

Trouble downshifting from 3rd gear into 2nd. Anyone else?

Sounds like you know what's going on here - so basically I don't really know how this part works, I suppose it's cables work in tension so it's different cables going down vs up so it's those cables that are not aligned right or whatnot?
  4. T

I have my doubts on this since he said 1-2 upshift is just fine - worn synchros are most common on this (often abused, or at least heavily loaded - edit, er, rushed really - from a stop) shift and are very obvious.
  5. T

Traded in my GTI because it needed a turbo replacement

What year GTI, miles, primary driving (city/highway/mix), and what repairs?
  6. T

If you double-clutch to rev-match you're bringing everything to the right revs together, single-clutching you are not. I double-clutch for downshifts but single/just let the revs drop for up as a compromise because double-clutch upshifts it's a really quick thump-thump, not that it's hard to get...
  7. T

Nice to Know VWs are a Reliable as a Jeep :(

Knock on wood as always on these matters, but I've had my '16 since new and it's knocking on 80k miles. So far warranty repairs were a) the horn and b) one headlight fixture as the bit that does the pointing crapped out. Non-warranty, shop did do a seal (RMS?) that was seeping when I had...
  8. T

How hard is it to steal these cars? How difficult would it be to start one without the key?

One thing you can try, is throwing up on the seat. It's highly visible, and then some.
  9. T

How hard is it to steal these cars? How difficult would it be to start one without the key?

YUP. It's some cattle dog or something, basically probably a good alarm and that's about it. I guess it would probably try to protect, but not be particularly tough about it would be my guess. Better than a Golden that just watches the action I suppose.
  10. T

Yeah I have a buddy there. I keep saying buy a shotgun, he keeps saying they have a dog... OK
  11. T

LOL I didn't notice that till you said it. Hell, I'd be more worried about getting shot than the car getting stolen. Possibly both at the same time I guess.
  12. T

Everyone else will be doing it now

Oil is renewable btw. The theory is sound, it's how Russia is doing so well in the space these days. https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/41889
  13. T

And when they burn, they really burn, like take the house with it (my garage is under my master bedroom = no farging way I'll ever park an electric there).
  14. T

Depends on if markets are eventually allowed to decide (e.g. if current regimes finally collapse under the weight of all the BS, fiat currency, etc) or not.
  15. T

DSG behavior: MK7 and MK7.5

The obvious answer of course is a manual, but that goes without saying OK OK, that's not my actual point - I just thought it would be funny to stir some crud. The thing is, when I got my car (2016), I was objectively interested in the DSG, so I test-drove both. The DSG struck me as too...