GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by southpawboston

1. southpawboston

wascally wabbitt's GTI

Yeah, totally shocking how leak-prone these cars are, from multiple sources. I proactively ran a bead of clear silicone caulk around all four of my access panels when I had the door panels off for various upgrade projects. I also sealed the speaker frames while I was at it. They are indeed a...
  2. southpawboston

Drenched rear seat!!!

Why don't they make the bungs as one-way drain valves? Just have a flap that opens outward with the weight of water? Could prevent so many flooding problems.
  3. southpawboston

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

I've had exactly the same experience. I even asked once at the counter why this is the case, and the guy just shrugged. So I always order online and pick it up at the parts counter.
  4. southpawboston

Heated Mirror Troubleshooting

I'm surprised VW didn't design a more weather-resistant connection to the heater grid. It's just an exposed spade terminal. I'm sure it oxidizes and the continuity becomes tenuous over time. I'd clean it and refasten it nice and tight.
  5. southpawboston

Kufatec footwell lights coding

Just a guess, but if you have an SE with Nav you probably have at least a mid-level BCM. I had to squeeze my phone camera up into that space by the BCM connectors and snap random shots until I had some that showed the actual pins and pin positions, that's how I verified my BCM was compatible...
  6. southpawboston

Kufatec footwell lights coding

Did you check for the presence of the physical pin at position c72? I'm wondering if you have the low-line BCM and if it doesn't support footwell lights. I installed them on my 2017 US-spec Golf, base model, but it had the mid-line BCM which supports fog lights, footwells, etc. This was the...
  7. southpawboston

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

I replaced my door checks when the car was new... couldn't stand the lack of detents in the stock ones. Replaced them with US Jetta checks which were a direct swap. At the same time, I removed all four door speakers and re-seated them with a bead of silicone caulk as a gasket to preempt any...
  8. southpawboston

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

Why did you remove the door speakers and rear taillights for preventative maintenance?
  9. southpawboston

European Blind Spot (Aspherical) Mirror Set

I'll be honest, they did seem really weird at first... maybe for a week. My wife felt the same. Then we got used to it and now it seems perfectly normal. Kind of like when you get new glasses and your eyes need a day or two to get used to them. But yeah I get it.
  10. southpawboston

European Blind Spot (Aspherical) Mirror Set

I may have commented on this thread already (years ago) but I will just add that I swapped out the US-spec mirrors for the EU Ashpericals, both driver's and passenger's sides, and it's probably one of the best safety improvement bang-for-the-buck bargains out there... the US requirement for...
  11. southpawboston

Lots of water in the spare tire well

It astounds me how many different parts on this car that critically depend on sealing out water use the thinnest, cheapest, degradable gaskets. Same issue with the speaker frames in the door. These parts are engineered for quickest assembly on the assembly line. Applying a bead of sealant would...
  12. southpawboston

heated seats retrofit

My values according to OBDeleven (second column is translated and indicates which heater cushion): Sitzheizung Stufe 1 untere Schaltschwelle: Seat heating level 1 lower threshold (bottom): 16.00 °C 16.00 ° C Sitzheizung Stufe 1 obere Schaltschwelle: Seat heating level 1 upper threshold...
  13. southpawboston

heated seats retrofit

Don't know why you still don't have access, which google tells me I granted, but here's a new link. I changed to permissions so all can see: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15tbl_pVxW_SJGfoUe7Ivb5HYTJvLUC6G/view?usp=sharing
  14. southpawboston

heated seats retrofit

Yes and no. I was able to re-map all but one pin from the 10-pin black plug kufatec plug to the 17-pin red plug. One pin did not match the socket size on the plug. For that one I had to splice in a connecting wire from the kufatec harness to the seat harness and bypass the connector...
  15. southpawboston

Card holder in the center console?

I covered up the center console slots with a piece of 3D-printed plastic, and I replaced the card holder in the glovebox with my own 3D-printed OBDeleven holster (OBDelHolster(Tm)). It fits the OBDeleven nice and snug...