GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by ShrekSquatch

1. ShrekSquatch

Wastegate actuator needs replacing?

Final update: Actuator definitely needed to be replaced, but in the end so did my catalytic converter. My theory (backed by SCIENCE!) is that with the wastegate stuck open, that allowed a ton of air into the exhaust after the turbo. That extra air in the exhaust, which has oxygen (unlike the...
  2. ShrekSquatch

To follow up because I hate it when people don't post their final results - the wastegate actuator is totally shot. I was able to move it a couple of times, but never smoothly and never a full range of motion. Last time I moved it by hand, the arm just froze and I could never get it to move...
  3. ShrekSquatch

That's the last thing I was going to check once it cools down.... Thanks for all your help! Although it's a bit troubling that you've been responding within nanoseconds ;)
  4. ShrekSquatch

Welp, I was able to get it adjusted from 3.99v to 3.5v (the other one I was looking at is always around 1.5-1.6, but I found multiple 'good' logs on the internets where that value was in the same range. Didn't solve the problem. Although, playing with the wastegate actuator arm made me realize...
  5. ShrekSquatch

great, thanks. Already have the vice grips, so hopefully i can get my big mitts in there once it cools down. So the other PID (charge air pressure actuator: unconditioned voltage in VCDS) that I got the 1.5x volts from, totally wrong thing to look at? because the shop told me that was a...
  6. ShrekSquatch

Pretty sure they didn't touch it. They didn't have it long enough, plus I do remember seeing the P00AF00 code one time a few weeks ago when first starting to figure this crap out, and it hadn't seen a shop in years, all me and my quickjack... Turbo has never been changed/touched by me or...
  7. ShrekSquatch

Engine on (from cold) - 3.994 v Turned Engine off - 4.019 v Turned engine back on - still 4.019, drops to 4.009 when revving Thanks for the quick response! Based on all your old wastegate posts, I was hoping you'd respond ;)
  8. ShrekSquatch

Ok, I'm really just looking for confirmation here, and making sure I'm not missing anything obvious. I have VCDS and OBD11, and am pretty good at following youtube videos, but I don't have much experience in diagnosing difficult engine-related issues. Backstory: 2016 Golf R, stock turbo, APR...
  9. ShrekSquatch

Any metro-Atlanta peeps on here??

Yeah, willpower isn't my thing these days ;) Still stock for now. Tint goes on Thursday. Not planning on doing too much with it, to be honest. Euro folding mirrors will be coming at some point - hoping the DAP compatible ones show up on AliExpress so I don't have to hack wires. Most "moddish"...
  10. ShrekSquatch

Apparently my neighbors don't like VW's. . .

Spend every weekend slowly and lasciviously washing your VW(s) while wearing incredibly inappropriate denim short-shorts, a knotted button up shirt, weird pigtails and crazy ass makeup. Make sure the shirt has a Ford logo on the back. Take frequent long pauses to stare at the suspected...
  11. ShrekSquatch

Verizon vs TMobile vs Sprint?

I agree to an extent with the comment "choose the carrier based on coverage, not phone". Do the "test drive" or 14 day trial or whatever a carrier offers. I did that for T-Mobile, and ended up not keeping it because of no coverage in the data center where I work (site has repeaters for the...
  12. ShrekSquatch

FUNNY: No need to buy expensive wheels for your new Golf R!

Found these on eBay. Why spend thousands on wheels you are just going to curb?
  13. ShrekSquatch

Serious Inquiry - Help With Billing for 2nd Job

I do this type of thing, under the table for two companies. I charge $65 an hour, but they also understand my "real" job may mean I can't get to them immediately. It's usually spyware, the occasional real virus, and mostly "oh crap, I don't know what happened, can you fix it". A lot of time I...