GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Oscar LaVista

1. O

The first time you fell in love...with a GTI.

I turned 18 in 1985. If my first GTI love didn't happen when I first read about the Mk1, it was the first time I drove one. It only took me 34 years to pull the trigger...
  2. O

2018 GTI SE (leather) - chemical smell won't go away

Smoking will also make your nose less sensitive, so it's a win-win, LOL. Seriously though, my non-sensitive nose hasn't noticed anything beyond a brief period of new-car smell.
  3. O

PSA: Neuspeed Wheels have a reduced cost road hazard replacement program

As it turns out, my RSE16 are being discontinued (which is a whole other can of worms, and the reason I usually don't buy aftermarket wheels :( ), so they're on sale. And normal wheel purchases include free shipping, while the road hazard discount does not, so the wheel will be cheaper if I...
  4. O

PSA: Neuspeed Wheels have a reduced cost road hazard replacement program

Excellent, thanks for posting! I recently scuffed one of my Neuspeeds, and this will bring replacement cost down to a little less than refinish cost! This ought to be a sticky!
  5. O

Any tuner shops in Westchester or Fairfield?

Thanks Sam! I'll pass them along.
  6. O

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

If you use red loctite, the studs aren't supposed to be able to come out without using a torch. I would consider them disposable at that point. I'd probably use blue.
  7. O

Cracked rim... options?

Read the details on the autorimshop wheel. It's refurbished. I wouldn't buy it. Personally, I'd just find the best deal, shipping included, on a new genuine wheel and be done with it. Check the labor price at your local tire shops, which is where I'd have it done. You could look at...
  8. O

Any tuner shops in Westchester or Fairfield?

A friend wants to get his Touareg tuned, doesn't want to go to the Bronx, etc...
  9. O

ICE screen sometimes slow to come on

I think it only happens if I plug the phone in before starting the car.
  10. O

TDI rims on GTI?

Generally 17" wheels will fit the R-size brakes on your SE. Unless you can get confirmation from someone who has used those exact wheels on a big-brake GTI, it wouldn't hurt to make a quick test fit. If you can figure out the VW style name for your wheels, you may find the answer in a search...
  11. O

TDI rims on GTI?

What size are the TDI wheels? What GTI model do you have?
  12. O

The never ending GTI story...

Where are you exactly? My friends swear by a shop in the Bronx, but wherever "Central NY" is, it's probably too far...
  13. O

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Very much. My brain is a messy place. I was trying to find the right balance of my priorities of fun-to-drive, reliability, fuel efficiency, roominess, total cost, quiet/comfortable driving experience, and not being silly-looking, and those cars all had interesting combinations of those...
  14. O

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Cars I seriously thought about buying when I got my GTI: Accord Sport Charger Scat Pack used Lexus LS430 Enjoy it!
  15. O

Is this totaled?

KBB is ~$10K. Total seems likely. Didn't you have another wreck thread in the last year?