GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by mike-y

1. M

Turbo not working, but car run's fine otherwise, cold air intake whistles loudly

have you checked all of the boost piping to see if a coupler broke and a hose popped off somewhere?
  2. M

Thoughts on using carbon fiber?

How would you attach/bond the CF to the plastic? maybe just glue or epoxy would work? Working with CF is a bit tricky, and just FYI, do not try cutting it without using a proper respirator. CF dust can really wreck your lungs if inhaled.
  3. M

Mk7 GTI SE 1st and 2nd gear

you might have broken little parts of your clutch disk, and they are affecting shifts. THough usually if would affect every gear (speaking from experience with an old car I had). but when you change the clutch, check for any debris or small pieces of clutch disk, broken springs, etc.
  4. M

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Like others said, you can try some polishing compound, or take it to a detailer, and have them work some magic in that area. in the future, don't just try to wipe off dried bird crap. Get a paper towel, fold it a couple of times, and soak it in water. Then leave it on top of the bird poo for...
  5. M

Downgrade LP headlights

ebay has OEM xenon headlights going for $400-$600ish for each side. that might be a better route to go. I did see Xenon headlights on there from a 3rd party called TYC that are much cheaper than factory ($500/pair), but not sure what their quality is...
  6. M

Which coil overs are best for my situation

Not in D. In S mode, there might be a couple of times where the car hangs on to 3rd gear for a bit too long when you are just cruising, and will sit at 3000rpm for a bit without upshifting, but it's not often. I'll have to speed up for a second to make it kick into 4th and then back off (or...
  7. M

Which coil overs are best for my situation

I had the IE DSG tune in my old GTI, and didn't like how if you were slowing down, it didn't downshift to a lower gear until you were down to like 1100 rpm, and then it finally would downshift, and make the car bog when you got back on the gas cuz you were at like 1500rpm.. When I got the R, I...
  8. M

KW Street comfort coilovers - brief review

I have them on my 16 R. The valving is definitely more comfortable than the factory non-DCC struts, but they do not ride like a limo or super cushy like I've seen mentioned in another review. the car still rides pretty firm, but has much better compliance over bumps than the factory setup...
  9. M

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

Been following this for a while, and it seems crazy that you've tried so many things and haven't been able to clearly pinpoint where the sound is coming from. One other thing that popped in my head is that the gas tank and filler neck are back there too. Maybe something is a bit loose or...
  10. M

Possible to use Android car stereo display (10.1") for MIB1 to MIB2 conversion? 2015 GSW S TDI

I don't think you can integrate it with the factory system. but there are aftermarket android head units for this platform that you could try. https://www.amazon.com/Android-2013-2018-Biorunn-Wireless-Car-Play/dp/B0C9QPK8BK?th=1
  11. M

Interior vinyl wrapping

sorry for the long delay. here's a photo I snapped today (excuse the dust). The GTI plastics have a subtle texture that the R bezels don't have (they are smooth). if you look really close, you can kinda see the texture coming through the wrap, but it's not noticeable unless you are really...
  12. M

Interior vinyl wrapping

I wrapped the infotainment/upper vent trim on my '16 R when I installed the larger 8" screen and bezel I previously had in my GTI. I used 3M 2080 gloss black film to match the rest of the R trim, and it came out really good. After reading a lot of reviews, it was said that thinner wraps are...
  13. M

What is a good, reputable (NOT Facebook Marketplace) online site to sell your car privately?

When I sold a car last year, I tried a couple of the bigger sites like Autotrader and also Craigslist. Like said above, I don't think it matters where you list your car, there are gonna be scammers, and the typical CL deadbeats wanting to trade a sportbike, a broken jeep, a nintendo 64, and...
  14. M

Is this normal for a stock 7spd DSG?

Also, running a TCU tune with a stock ECU is perfectly fine. I ran a TCU tune on my otherwise stock GTI without any issues for over a year. The TCU tune really helped wake up the car during normal day-to-day driving (when you weren't in manual mode).
  15. M

Anyway to reduce the R from bottoming out?

Also, if you guys still on the stock bridgestone S001 Tires, they are known to be pretty harsh. Especially if you don't have a car with DCC.