GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by jmason

1. J

Wilwood BBK: Any Good?

Neuspeed 6-piston calipers use PP Rotors. They also sell a two-piece rotor. I can install Neuspeed 17” wheels for track use. IIRC, calipers are about $1800. Usually, if something is too good to be true, it isn’t. I’d be concerned about “super, super, super “ light. The caliper may flex...
  2. J

Persistent TPMS Error

I reset the MIB (no nav unit). I’ve driven for a couple of hours and everything is still happy. Fingers crossed. It almost seems like a software issue. There never is an event (bumps) that kicks off the error. It just happens. I would think if it is a bad connection, a bump would initiate the...
  3. J

Persistent TPMS Error

Interesting. I've never heard of a MIB reset. It's worth a try! Thanks. I'm thinking it might be a bad connection. I don't know how accessible the ABS unit connector is, nor the MIB connector. I'm going to look at those too.
  4. J

Persistent TPMS Error

Ok. So in my case, I have a newish battery, so unfortunately that isn't a like cause. It's been suggested that I disconnect the battery for a period of time then reset everything. I haven't tried that, but it doesn't seem like a likely fix at this point.
  5. J

Persistent TPMS Error

No other ABS codes. I would think that if an ABS sensor goes bad, the dash would light up like a Christmas tree! Or throw a DTC that is specific to a sensor. Or it would (falsely) report a problem with an individual tire. So the problem seems to be more central, systemic. Not sure what...
  6. J

Persistent TPMS Error

It's back! I had no issues since the previous post. Then last week, up pops the same error msg. I used VCDS to clear the DTC in the ABS module. Reset the pressures from the MIB. That lasted about two days, then the error reappeared. Again reset everything. This time, it lasted about 1.25hrs and...
  7. J

Questions for those who have experience with red rubber grease in Track Day Environment

Neuspeed 6-piston. I just swapped out my road pads/rotors for track stuff. There was a noticeable difference in pedal travel when driving around on the street. The track pads are more worn, so I wonder if the piston is now operating in a region that isn't as lubricated, causing greater stiction...
  8. J

Questions for those who have experience with red rubber grease in Track Day Environment

I'm anticipating/hoping that it will reduce piston retraction. I haven't rebuilt my BBK, and the rebuild kit doesn't seem to include any kind of lubricant.
  9. J

I'm beginning to think that I may benefit from the use of red rubber grease (RRG) on my BBK. I am wondering if the temperature environment experienced during track use creates any issues. Does the grease hold up under high temperatures? Does the grease contaminate the brake fluid, compromising...
  10. J

Front Endlink Clearance Issue

And I'm pretty sure that the spacer resulted in excessive torque at the strut bracket, resulting in the bracket breaking off the strut. I would not recommend using the spacer!
  11. J

Warning, OIL STARVATION

The Spulen looks like a nice kit. No need to modify the engine cover. One assumes that emissions checks are not effected.
  12. J

Front Endlink Clearance Issue

I thought it was the stock orientation! If it isn't, it wouldn't be the first time I messed up! But if you think about it, it places that top end link in the same position relative to the strut on both sides of the car; that is, in the middle of/in-line with the strut. So the position is...