GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Recent content by flipflp

1. flipflp

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

Thanks for the clarification there. I have a feeling the internal bump stops might have something to do with that, especially because Neuspeeds are up there in spring rate. I think I'm too low up front right now but once I find a good way to raise the car up 1/2" or so I wouldn't expect to...
  2. flipflp

E85 in Los Angeles and/or Pasadena area.

Seriously? Oh man you just made my day. Bet I'll be there every fill up.
  3. flipflp

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

I think Koni's compression rate is a bit higher at lower (piston) speeds which makes them firmer, especially around sweeping corners. Their higher speed comp damping may even be less than the stock dampers, at least based on this generic chart they show: If we took that as the actual shock...
  4. flipflp

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

Contact VMR and make sure you know what your wheels are going to use first. Most VMR wheels are designed to use the OEM bolts. If that's the case, then you'll need longer length R13 ball seat bolts if you're also going to run spacers. Looks are a personal thing, I'm only really concerned with...
  5. flipflp

Add whatever spacer thickness you buy to the length of the bolt required without the spacer. For OEM wheels, 27mm is the stock length. 10mm spacers would use a 37mm (round to 40mm for most manufacturers), 15mm is a 42mm bolt, etc. A few mm longer bolt is better than a few mm shorter bolt IMO...
  6. flipflp

5 turns is not enough, that's only about half of what you should be engaging. The OEM bolts engage ~9 turns or 14mm worth of threads, which is the industry minimum safe recommendation (engagement equal to the thread width).
  7. flipflp

Who is on Bilstein B8s?

B8s seem to have much less high speed compression damping so bottoming out up front on hard hits is more common. That would make them more compliant on a stock height spring, but when you take some travel out of it that doesn't work as well. If B8s are just shortened versions of B6s, that isn't...
  8. flipflp

Ask Me Anything: Lug Nut, Bolts and Wheel Locks!

I think that's where I got screwed up. They are awesome for installation, when you're basically just snugging them down before the loctite does anything. On the other side of things, they should really include a little note or recommendation to not use them for removal, at least if loctite was...
  9. flipflp

And these last half dozen posts should be proof enough that stud conversion kits aren't for everybody. Seriously.
  10. flipflp

Because they have an allen end :cry: I only feel a little embarrassed that I didn't even consider that as an option in the moment. Well, my rear studs will definitely give me less trouble now, thanks for the obvious tip there haha.
  11. flipflp

Removing studs installed with red loctite doesn't immediately damage anything. You need to heat the loctite up to/beyond it's failure temp and then they should remove like normal studs, then the loctite should be cleaned well with a wire brush. That's all.
  12. flipflp

E85 in Los Angeles and/or Pasadena area.

That's the one I use, it can get pretty busy but it's more convenient than the one on Huntington north of there, at least for me.
  13. flipflp

That is a real mess you've created. I would never recommend a 12mm stud conversion. You've just lost strength on the part of your vehicle that holds the wheels on. Just because they exist doesn't mean it's a good idea, and I'd bet that company would tell you there is no warranty and the parts...
  14. flipflp

I didn't use any thread locker on my Rennlines like they recommended and I had a few that would regularly loosen when removing the lugs. No big deal, except because the studs had no hex end it was a bit more of a chore to get them tightened back down. Never had any issues with them coming loose...
  15. flipflp

I am so confused with what you are trying to do here. :ROFLMAO: