GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by enobiko

1. enobiko

How many street miles before running an autocross?

I just got a set of Michelin PS 4 S tires, and there is a non-points autocross (SCCA Solo) this weekend. The weather will be in the 60's, and rainy or damp. Should I just wait until the next Points event? I don't know if there is a bed-in period (like brake pads).
  2. enobiko

245/40-18s fit on a 2015 GTI

At what point do you need the fender screw mod? I just upgraded to 235/40-18 PS 4 S, stock wheels, springs and shocks, but rear sway bar, and I autocross. Costco installer told me the new tires were a bit tight in the rear, but I'm not worried about that. I'm guessing I'd have to go 245, or...
  3. enobiko

Ceramic vs Low-Met Brembo pads

I may need to walk back my statement about rust on the rotors! I cleaned my wheels yesterday and the rotors came out looking pretty good, so maybe I was seeing brake dust (and road grime) and blaming the rotors. I'd have to pull the wheels off to be able to inspect more closely, but with the...
  4. enobiko

Ceramic vs Low-Met Brembo pads

Drewpul, I chose the Brembo ceramic for all 4 corners, and have had no issues at all. From what I understand from reading the info on their website, and looking at the performance graphs, the ceramic and low-met perform very similarly, except for dust and fade resistance, in which case there is...
  5. enobiko

Help. Need LED Bulb Type For Reverse Lamp....

On Amazon, I went cheap and got the AUXITO 912 921 LED Bulb for Backup Light I find that it is brighter than stock, but causes major FM radio interference when backing up. That isn't a big deal for me, as I spend little time backing up. This would be unacceptable for a license plate light or...
  6. enobiko

No driving modes/Soundaktor?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I felt I should make a confession. The driving modes seem to work, but just less so than I remember from my 2016 S (without the Performance Pack). There is a subtle change in the steering, and the Soundaktor is now slightly audible... I swear it was more...
  7. enobiko

My AutoX journey

Maybe it's just in my region, but they ask you not use numbers on glass, because it's harder for the course workers to read. I can attest to that. But, I can read the tape numbers above just fine, both because they are large, and the contrast against the tint.
  8. enobiko

Tire wear

Yes, I should (and will) keep better data on my next set of tires: how many laps, how many road miles, etc. But... I really can't afford another $1,800 dollars on another set of tires and wheels. I'm retired, on a fixed income, and "fixed" in this instance means "broke". :-) My summer tires...
  9. enobiko

Tire wear

The PS 4S is about $950 a set, the Kumho V730 is about $850 a set, stock size, without mounting/balancing. They are "not bad for a track day tire" as far as noise/harshness goes, but I bet my wife would notice. Plus... we have rain in NE Ohio, the PS 4S are known to be great in the rain. The...
  10. enobiko

Tire wear

Thanks for the replies. Dark Arrow, your analysis seems correct, I was overdriving it in some places, and when I was trying harder I improved my time (from my first run) by only 0.3 seconds. I think I was faster in some places, but it must be that I was going too fast in other places, which...
  11. enobiko

Tire wear

I agree... I may be overdriving the car. I'll try to pay attention to that in the future. Or, maybe I need a grippier tire to match what I *think* the car can do?? :) Then, I'd lose ride quality/noise, and also wet-weather traction. (It does rain in NE Ohio.) My best showing was an autocross...
  12. enobiko

Tire wear

Uh, no this was not a single autocross session, I've been doing Solo since 2019 (not all of that on these tires). The tires come off for the winter, but there are many miles on them. The other tires also have some wear on the outer shoulder, because... racing. But, all 4 tires were getting...
  13. enobiko

Tire wear

??? "...not meant for track use at all."??? Apex uses the PS 4S on the Nurburgring, see the video here that explains the different tires they use: They use it on the M3 Taxi, "about 2 tons fully loaded" with 4 people onboard. They get about 100 laps, and say they could get more.
  14. enobiko

Tire wear

I was at the NEOHIO Solo race this weekend, and had to stop early due to the cords showing on my passenger-side front. These are Michelin PS 4S, when doing autocross I bump up the pressure to 38 or 40, because they tend to roll onto the sides a bit. I run in GS, so I run a stiffer Eibach rear...
  15. enobiko

Stock 2017 SE brake replacement

The Zimmerman/ATE combo in the link above is a decent price... I was able to get Brembo all 4 rotors and ceramic pads for the Performance Pack brakes from Rock Auto for a few bucks less than that. You could substitute Brembo semi-metallic pads if that is what you prefer, about the same price as...