GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by dr_mat

1. dr_mat

Slow cabin heat - again

Yeah I couldn't see anything looking quite like the N82 from the pics on the side of our engine so maybe it's not that. Awkward and fiddly is a lot better than taking the dashboard out.. (though I'm told some have managed to do the Corrado in an awkward and fiddly way without taking the dash...
  2. dr_mat

Slow cabin heat - again

Interesting thread. Our 2013 1.4 TSi is slow to heat, and needs rpms to push a little more heat to the cabin too. I am currently 50/50 on it being a blocked heater matrix (at 80,000 miles) or possibly an issue with the aux coolant pump because I haven't been able to detect it operating. I would...
  3. dr_mat

Cheap tires for daily driving

In my experience cheap tyres are fine if it never rains where you live ..
  4. dr_mat

0% APR and no payments 6 months

Nowhere to go for six months till this virus is dealt with ... !
  5. dr_mat

The Model 3 ruined my life

.. but the VAST majority of EV charges take place at their home, overnight. The truth is that a lot of charge points don't get used much because people just don't travel far enough to need to charge anywhere other than at home. EV uptake will rocket in the UK next year as the zero BIK tax rate...
  6. dr_mat

2019 GTI 6MT Performance Issues I'd Like to Correct

The VAQ can also pre-act.. because it knows you might have a problem based on current data and it can act to prevent it. The comments I've seen in various threads indicate that it does exactly this, so in fact even this benefit is moot.
  7. dr_mat

Re: the Corrado .. so quick to assume something is wrong .. it's dead easy to make it oversteer as you say and it's hugely enjoyable to do so. I'd love to take it somewhere like Amalfi (apart from the buses coming the other way in the middle of the corners), but understeer is also quite possible...
  8. dr_mat

On the Corrado for sure I can spin away and understeer through a corner if I so choose, but if you get the power just right (which you can with a N/A engine and is rather more difficult on a turbo engine), it will actually flatten the car down on its haunches and pull it round the corner quite...
  9. dr_mat

Golf R versus Tesla model 3.

Yes, terrible isn't it? At its worst, the Model S dropped to being still-slightly-quicker than pretty much every other competing car in its price and size range. :) Also remember: the Model S came out 8 years ago...!
  10. dr_mat

11kg .. yeah it's heavier than a standard LSD probably when you add this on as an external unit. But I think it's a clever solution, and you've said yourself it has the potential to perform in an infinitely more advanced way than a tradtional LSD, and is likely to be measurably better at doing...
  11. dr_mat

Not sure this was necessary.. but fwiw I believe I understand what you wrote and the implications of it, and I am aware that (as you say) there's options to control the behaviour of traditional LSD and that there's an upside to "predictability", but I also think there's advantages for a computer...
  12. dr_mat

I have to say I suspect a computer controlled diff lock is actually cheaper than a mechanical one, because it moves much of the dev work to software and iterative improvement is much easier in software than in fluids/hardware. There's got to be a reason they did it this way, and other...
  13. dr_mat

Great write up. Have to say it seems quite an elegant solution. Complex (only in the way it has to be activated), yes, but so much more flexible than a mechanical lsd. The engineers now have the ability to linearly control the amount of diff slip at any time by adding a few lines of code. You...
  14. dr_mat

These are not expensive cars... Just how it is I think.
  15. dr_mat

The stated goal of torque limiting in first and second is to avoid wheel hop breaking drive shafts, iirc. It will feel way worse if your regular road surface is gravel because once all the limiters and traction control steps in so much sooner.