GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Cliff

1. Cliff

“Lap timers” thread

Yes, they are replaceable, except, I think for the Hero Session model, which doesn't have a built-in GPS anyway. I have 3 for my Hero 5 Black, and I have to swap batteries at lunch at a track day otherwise I'll run out of juice before the end of the day. The Hero 5, 6 7, and 8 all use the same...
  2. Cliff

“Lap timers” thread

The phone's internal GPS has a frequency of 1Hz, and acquiring position information once per second is too slow to accurately position your car in space. You use the phone to connect to the external GPS receiver via bluetooth to accurately record the position of your car. The app you are running...
  3. Cliff

New Autox/Track/Weekend car?

There are 2 981 GTS showing on the Porsche USA site, which allows you to search by feature. Both have X73, PTV, and PDK.
  4. Cliff

Nice. You'll have a lot of fun with the car.
  5. Cliff

Look on the bright side: it doesn't have the M4 grill. There aren't too many 981 GTS for sale any more. They are selling for less than their original MSRP, which makes them a relative bargain when compared with the 981 GT4 cars which are selling for $10k or more over their original MSRP...
  6. Cliff

981 GTS, actually, which I bought before used Porsche prices headed into the stratosphere. And I responded to the OP's DM. If I was shopping for a new car right now, I would probably wait for the next gen M2. If you like the looks of it (which I don't) then the manual Supra 3.0 would also be a...
  7. Cliff

Cliff's Grey Hare

I bought them on Ebay years ago
  8. Cliff

Bay Area Track Days

You'll have fun, Jeff. Of the dozen tracks I have driven so far, Thunderhill East is my favorite.
  9. Cliff

2022 Track Days

Glad to see this annual thread is being kept going. My Cayman is subject to a safety recall on the rear lower control arm mounts and those are being replaced today (Cayman's have MacP struts on all 4 corners). My calendar is starting to take shape. I've been invited to an instructor clinic with...
  10. Cliff

Plugged RS4 , 265 RS4, or RE71R for track day

Do both. The patch seals the hole while the plug protects the tire carcass. If only one or the other has been performed on the tire then I would not run it at the track.
  11. Cliff

2017 GTi PP at VIR

FWIW it appears that Audi National has eased up on the turn signal thing. I was out at Buttonwillow with the Southern California chapter last weekend and we used point bys. I was at Portland (PIR) 2 weeks ago with the Northwest chapter and they stuck with their enhanced turn signal passing...
  12. Cliff

Chasing a Hellcat at Palmer.......Lovin my Golf.

Maintenance on the car has been fine so far but it hasn't needed anything major. I bought an extended warranty on it from Carmax with a $500 deductible that has 4 years and 50k miles remaining. It is basically my catastrophe insurance in case something big needs replacing. It is valid at any...
  13. Cliff

The Cayman is awesome. I am finally learning how to be quick in it, and it looks and sounds the business. As a relatively light car, it seems to be easy on consumables too. I have not modified the car so far, and I don't have any plans to modify it. I've done 9 days in the car since buying it...
  14. Cliff

My car made it to 60 days before the rings started to fail, and 3 more days after that before I gave up, returned the car to stock, and sold it. I'm running DS3.12 pads on the Cayman and I am happy with them. Much better initial bite and torque than the DS2500 pads I previously had on this car...
  15. Cliff

2021 HPDE Plans

The car has been awesome. I am finally starting to learn how to be fast in it. I need to adjust my corner entry speeds upwards from what they were in the R because the car will hold a lot more speed mid-corner. The car is very neutral handling, although I am now pushing it hard enough that the...