GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Boltsfan17

1. B

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

I suspect since the problem is so widely known at this point the dealer chose the path of least resistance and didn’t even bother any nonsense about your tune. I made it abundantly clear to my SA that I was almost certain it was the thermostat housing, referencing this thread and go as far as...
  2. B

My service advisor told me another shop foreman would be making the last repair. Could only assume the first one screwed up twice and wasn’t going to be given a third shot at it.
  3. B

So to finally close the loop on my issue found in this tread: After the initial thermostat housing replacement (under warranty Part # 06L-121-111-M), the car dumped me less than 24 hours later due to the tech not properly bleeding the system allowing air in causing the sensor to assume there was...
  4. B

Well, more news on my overheating issue. Today while parked and idling the temp gauge climbed well beyond the midpoint heading towards the danger zone after about 5 minutes of idling. AC drops out and engine temp climbs quickly. When back out on the road the temp stabilized and AC seemed to work...
  5. B

Hopefully final update: Temp redlined due to the tech failing to properly bleed the system causing an air bubble. I’ll check the part number on the warranty repair order on the thermostat housing.
  6. B

Update to update: Less than 24 hours after my warranty repair of a leaking thermostat housing, my car overheated and was forced to shut it down on the side of a very busy highway at rush hour. Towed back to the dealer tonight. Await a new diagnosis and repair. Needless to say this dealer will...
  7. B

Update: Took car in for 40k service. Notified service writer of coolant leak and referenced my research and the numerous posts here about this issue. Told him I strongly believed it to be the thermostat housing and that it should be a covered repair via the drivetrain warranty. Was polite but...
  8. B

Checked my coolant level after a week of driving and noticed a loss close to midway between full and minimum. To top it off, today I noticed a small pinkish puddle in my garage. I know for sure there’s a leak. I guess the next question is from where. I’ve heard about the faulty water pumps...
  9. B

2017 GTI SE. Low coolant light went on at around 30k. Took it in and had it topped off. Service Advisor said that in Florida it’s not uncommon to lose coolant due to the significant heat. Didn’t really buy that but all seemed ok until about 39k and light came on again. Checked the level and it...