GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by beardedGTI

1. B

MK7 TDI GSW eating ac compressors?

Engine coolant in your photo doesn’t have anything to do with the AC. When compressors fail, they can fail spectacularly sending metal shrapnel through the coolant lines. This is why people often times replace the whole system when they experience a problem: compressor, condenser, evap, and...
  2. B

Mysterious missing wiring in shift console!? '18 GTI.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. We've had reports on this forum of someone buying a trim that is supposed to have the lighting package and the monroney was labeled as such but still had the incorrect headlights installed. Cars that have had mixed leather/cloth seats. Etc... I'm not suggesting...
  3. B

My Attempt and Progress at a DIY AC Compressor Replacement

Apologies, I mis-read your original post. Thought it was only happening while off. Yes you're going to need the whole compressor. And the dryer/condensor/expansion valve. May want to seriously consider the evaporator too.
  4. B

Pull it off and verify that it is indeed the pulley bearing. If so, check for part number stamped on it.
  5. B

So I had to take my wifes 2020 SE in for a software update this morning and chatted with their master tech. Sure enough VW uses both. He wasn't able to offer any explanation on why or what models had which. We popped the hood after mine was done and he looked at it and immediately confirmed it...
  6. B

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2015_GTI-S-Hatchback-20L-MT/AIR-CONDITIONING-AC-Compressor-Compressor-ASSEMBLY/70108554/5Q0820803K.html FFS does it or does it not have a clutch? I don't know what else to say other than it seems like even VW doesn't know. FWIW I've worked on other cars...
  7. B

Not saying you are wrong. But if this is truly how it works, then I question if any of those compressors you listed will work. The first one you posted at the very top says "w/ Clutch". The second link doesn't have the original part number for the Denso listed so I can't look it up. But if you...
  8. B

You’re not spinning the compressor, you’re spinning the pulley. The clutch isn’t engaged so what you’re hearing is the pulley bearing going bad. Your mechanic is right, there’s no metal shavings in your system and there’s no reason to disconnect the compressor. Pull the clutch off and either...
  9. B

Engine oil usage on almost new engine

If your location is accurate our conditions are definitely not the same.
  10. B

I hypothesize that it has less to do with mechanical tolerances and more to do with driving styles. Our family lives in the city making frequent very short trips with lots of stop and go. Pretty much the worse case for gas vehicles. Environmental factors like temp and elevation would play a role...
  11. B

Two GTI's in the family, 2017 and 2020, the latter using 0w-20. Both use about a quart of oil between changes. I recall changing the 2020 at around 3k and within 2-3k the low oil light came on.
  12. B

front haldex.

I just got back from the dealer and got tired of arguing with them over this. Suffice to say they will not take my money for this service. How hard is it to remove the pump to get to the screen? I assume that the pump is the large cylinder here in this photo. I'm guessing that there are at...
  13. B

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

I have not. I have since found that it looks like there is an auxiliary coolant pump in VW's: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/water-pump/5q0965561b/ Is there a whining noise when your car is in idle? How about a coolant leak? If these symptoms are present, you need to...
  14. B

Disable Engine Start/ Stop Feature

Sorry but your experience of n of 1 does not demonstrably disprove his post. As soon as you have a track record of understanding of the VW canbus at a level DV52 has shown time and time again, and can provide technical details on why your hack works without consequence, then I’ll hear you out. I...
  15. B

Disable Engine Start/ Stop Feature

1.) because it’s nice to be able to toggle the system on and off with a persistent memory rather than a hack that permanently disables it 2.) because it’s nice to not throw codes or have errors on the dash 3.) because dv52 already explained why not to unplug the sensor from the battery...