GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by aloha_from_bradley

1. aloha_from_bradley

GTI to Golf R?

I honestly haven't found any of that to be a problem. My DSG definitely doesn't take a few seconds to downshift... maybe A second. Gear hunting may exist, but again, I've not experienced it to the extent that others have on this forum.
  2. aloha_from_bradley

GTI to Golf R?

You don't HAVE to tune anything. It's perfectly fine from the factory. I'm a manual purest, but the DSG is just that good. I bought one. Like Dog Dad said, the difference is negligible after financing. My buddy has a MK5 R32 with 170k miles and his DSG shifts like a champ. Says something about...
  3. aloha_from_bradley

GTI to Golf R?

You will miss the 3rd pedal sometimes... only until you rip through a few gears in the DSG. It... is... that... good... This is my first "Automatic" car. I've owned at least 5 other manual tranny cars. This is the only auto I'd buy, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Key points are - you...
  4. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

Hydraulic based system are always going to feel better. Clutch, steering, etc. They just provide better feedback. Just like you mentioned, it's the reason the older BMWs have such great feel. My parents owned a 2007 3 Series, and that was by far the best steering feel of any car I'd ever driven...
  5. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

This is the reality of EV. I said it earlier in this thread. Every person I've ever talked to in the enthusiast community has said the same thing. The first spin behind the wheel of an EV is numb... and we can all imagine why. Totally different driving experience. No sound, no feeling, no...
  6. aloha_from_bradley

Coolant Leak?

I'm glad that you were able to get some useful information from this thread. I wouldn't worry too much, as the coolant issue seems to be one of the only major things that creep up on the MK7s. I've had some other warranty work done on my car, but none of it has been critical / major mechanical...
  7. aloha_from_bradley

Looking to get back into a fast Golf

What is a fair price for a used R? Am I off base with my offer? I'm in the Phoenix area. When late model Rs do come up for sale (20k or less miles), most are asking about 36 - 42k. You prob won't find one for less than that. If you are willing to take on a car with more miles, you can find '17...
  8. aloha_from_bradley

Do Golf R/GTI's "fall apart" as they get older?

2019 Golf R - 21k Not many miles yet, but here are the things I've had to deal with. - Thermo housing and water pump replaced under warranty. Could smell coolant. I can still smell it after as well, just not as bad - Steering wheel deformation. I think this happened when the car was aligned...
  9. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

Tesla undoubtedly has the worst fit and finish of any car manufacturer right now. Missing paint, paint uniformity issues, panel gaps big enough to stick you finger in, etc. My buddy has a Model Y and had hand prints on the headliner from the factory. Still says it's the best car he's ever...
  10. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

I agree Tesla doesn't make hardened track cars, and stated that earlier. Mostly a street car, and fast. The experience is numb for sure, but that's what happens when you drive an EV for the first time. They feel boring, and are quiet. When you've been driving petrol cars with exhausts and parts...
  11. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

Who knows? I'd beg the question - what's your end goal? Less than 99% of people ever track their cars, and of that percentage, 99% either don't have the money or don't care to keep up with the fastest cars out there. Either you're looking fore a race car... which in all situations I'd steer...
  12. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

BMW's have always had a tendency to have issues one way or another, maybe more than other manufacturers. This is just a symptom more than anything, as the performance and heritage has done well for the brand in most cases. Things like rod bearings and hub failures are just a reality of owning a...
  13. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R

Literally foaming at the mouth
  14. aloha_from_bradley

Mk8 R