GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires rubbing but car barely lowered

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I think we are safe to say that the wheel arch, along with the wheel fitment are badly designed from the factory.
They don't allow anything to be messed with, i'm on a mild drop and it rubbed like crazy, i don't want to imagine people who slam it down like there's no tomorrow.

I would have gladly kept the 20mm at the rear since it looked perfect and they also never gave me any issue, but i switched them to the front after i brought them to 12mm, but at least now it's perfectly flush at the front.
I don't personally like tyres sticking out of the body line.

Honestly man, I had no issues with the all seasons that came from the factory or my winters. I was pretty damn low too. Like the fender in the front was probably 8-10mm below the top of the tire. All my issues began once I just put on these new summer tires a few weeks ago.

If you think this was bad, you should of seen the fenders on the mk6. It wasn't even curved at least. You had to ROLL the fender the minute you lower the car, otherwise the tire would hit the fender and begin to DENT the actual fender. I experienced that on my mk6 GTI. Luckily a buddy was able to heat up the fender and roll out the dent + the fender itself.

This car confused me because I thought the fender was already rolled once I was lowered. It had angle of what appeared to be a rolled fender, but evidently, that is how it comes from factory. So that actually helps in comparison to the mk6. Though yeah, so funny a little screw can then cause all the other problems.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I'm not lowered and I don't use spacers but still had to do the 'fender mod' due to rubbing issues.
I have aftermarket wheels that are 19 x 8.5 Et43 though. Still couldn't believe that I was rubbing.
The car has only done 23K miles and I have DCC

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I'm not lowered and I don't use spacers but still had to do the 'fender mod' due to rubbing issues.
I have aftermarket wheels that are 19 x 8.5 Et43 though. Still couldn't believe that I was rubbing.
The car has only done 23K miles and I have DCC
I guess, in the end, it doesn't hurt to do the mod. It's quick and simple and saves all kinds of headaches. Perhaps I didn't have to raise the front THAT much and only do the screw mod? Who knows, but I actually prefer where it sits now. A lot more comfortable ride.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
It has to do with the tires you are running. I run a 15mm spacer upfront with the OEM wheels and Pirelli Cinturato and I don't rub at all, I do have a slight rub with my Motegi 18x8.5 et42, but it is because I an running a 245/40, which is a little taller than the OEM tire. I don't know why the OP will rub with a 12mm and the OEM wheel/tire. Maybe he is compressing too much and rubbing the plastic liner on top, but the fender screw mod will take care of this, as it pushes the liner up a little and away from the tire.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I'm running standard 235 width PS4s tyres for a Mk7 R
Weird that they rub. According to willtheyfit my set up sticks out further than yours and I barely rub on hard compressions.

1685016354889.png