GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbotech XP10 fitment issues - 2019 MK7.5 Golf R

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
Next weekend I'm doing a track day at VIR and am needing some advice on some fitment issues I'm having.

This is for a 2019 MK7.5 Golf R. Stock calipers.

I ordered a set of Girodisc 340mm rotors, XP10 front pads and XP8 rears from Pete at 529innovations. However the XP10 pads are rubbing on my Girodisc hats (see pics). Pete's been helpful in getting Carbotech to send me a replacement set of front pads - the pictured set is my second set which seem to be exactly the same as the first set which also rubbed. I'm a novice to this stuff but the gaps at the top of the XP10 pads just seems enormously huge to me. Carbotech maintain that there need not be a spring clip because "race car stuff". The inner radius of the pad rubs on the hat not the leading edge of the pads. They've sent me two sets of pads that both don't fit right - ct1633 is the carbotech part number.

Anyone else here run XP10s and Giros? Am I doing something wrong or do Carbotech need to add a clip? Or do I need to buy a hardware kit or something like this?

My other option is to find a set of pads that can stand up to VIR next weekend that I can buy in time to have them here for Tuesday so I have time to fit them.

Attachments

• IMAGE 2023-05-20 12:35:10.jpg
    IMAGE 2023-05-20 12:35:10.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAGE 2023-05-20 12:35:12.jpg
    IMAGE 2023-05-20 12:35:12.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 65

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Go to a parts store and look for pad hardware that looks like this:

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...jeOCAigZZpkJyuiRUZBoCklEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unfortunately that doesn't let me reverse look up the application, but I worked for Carmax for 14yrs and can't for the life of me remember what the application was.

If worse comes to worse, I have some half used Ferodo DS3.12s that come with the shims like factory. Let me know before Friday, because otherwise the plan was to burn them up on Friday at VIR. I'll be there all weekend, just look for the white MK7 GTI with my username on the license plate.

Edit: also those fit like ass. No way I'd consider running them like that. They need to at least be somewhat snug in the caliper bracket - 3mm+ of space to wiggle around is unacceptable and will wear out the bracket with use.

Last edited:

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
It’s so weird they’d send me two of the same pads with the exact same awful fitment.
I’ll be heading over the VIR Friday afternoon hopefully with things all resolved but I will be bringing basic tools to get it done on the day if I must. Appreciate the offer of some help!
I have got some Zimmerman blanks as a backup in case I can’t get replacements which fit the girodiscs from carbotech in time.

The attached pic is of the first set. Seem to be exactly as awful as the second set. Frustrating and totally screwed up my sequencing to get the prep all done! This has been going back and forth for 3 weeks or so now.

Attachments

• IMG_2119.jpeg
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Lol what?

I'm just saying I’ve touched a lot of brake pads for a lot of different cars, and I know exactly the type of shim that could potentially make those carbotech pads work without issue... But can't remember what types of cars use them. Some cars have a shim that wraps around the "tab" of the pad on both ends. That type would be exactly what you need to tighten up the fitment and make the CT pads work.

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
I'm just saying I’ve touched a lot of brake pads for a lot of different cars, and I know exactly the type of shim that could potentially make those carbotech pads work without issue... But can't remember what types of cars use them. Some cars have a shim that wraps around the "tab" of the pad on both ends. That type would be exactly what you need to tighten up the fitment and make the CT pads work.

Oh I see. English is hard sometimes. Lol

The stock pads as you know come with clips.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Oh I see. English is hard sometimes. Lol

The stock pads as you know come with clips.

Correct. So do Ferodos. :ROFLMAO: I was actually considering trying Carbotech if my DS3.12s hadn't gotten to me in time... Definitely glad they did. I think the only way to resolve this on CT's end will be to send them a PP bracket to make sure they actually fit correctly. That also sucks about the Girodisc interference, hadn't seen that before. I'll be at VIR all day Friday and will have a few sets of pads laying around if you want to check the Ferodo fitment vs Girodisc to 100% determine it's a CT issue (which I expect) or Girodisc issue.

Anyway I'm back at my laptop so was able to look into it a bit more. Look at front brake pads for a 2006-2010 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 if they ask for engine size, but shouldn't matter).

The hardware slips over the pads, and the "tab" pulls the pad outwards away from the rotor. The tab may need to be clipped if it can be otherwise used without issue.

1684610725530.png

While it is a very big "IF" that they will fit... I think these may be as close to an off-the-shelf solution as you'll get to make those pads usable for the weekend. Here is a snip from a random youtube video on changing brakes on one so you can see how they're positioned. At the very least, the slip on ship can be bent to fit and cut the tab off if it interferes.

1684610817893.png

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
I may well end up buying some of those half used pads from you on Friday and swapping them in the lot at this rate.

I’m reluctant to bodge the brakes. It feels like the one system on a car you absolutely shouldn’t be anything less than 100% confident in. The pads are brand new and clearly at worst either totally wrong or at best need a clip.

Not much else to be done now until Monday sadly but the heat is on to get it all buttoned up.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've seen this with CT pads before, the lack of clip is just them being cheap. G-Loc includes it IIRC.

IMO if you have the zimmermans, just run those instead of messing with other pads.

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
I spoke with Mike Jr. at Carbotech this morning about it all. Bear in mind this is the second set of pads in 10 days both with the same awful fitment. He outright refused to supply a clip as the Carbotech pads "run hotter than anyone elses" (direct quote) and it would be at approaching steel clips glass transition temperatures. He also told me about issues with getting backing plates that are thick enough and having to get ones from China which aren't as good quality - maybe this what's my issue is here? Poor tolerances. He tried to convince me I'm the only person to ever run Girodiscs and CT pads on a Golf - I know this to be false thanks to Kyle Gurney! Leaves a rather bad taste.

Mike's "solution" was just for me to return everything and get a full refund. That leaves me high and dry. Back at square one except now I have set of Girodisc rotors with 25 miles on them. It frankly makes me never want to do business with Carbotech ever again which is a pity because they have a superb reputation for the product itself.

So, as a backup I've ordered a set of the Ferodo pads from Essex to be overnighted up from Charlotte to Raleigh. Hopefully this fit the girodiscs without issue. Otherwise I might just keep the Carbotechs and run them on the Zimmerman blanks I have.

Honestly this whole saga has been a complete ballache and I've hated every minute of dealing with it. Hopefully the track time at the weekend makes it all worthwhile.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
He tried to convince me I'm the only person to ever run Girodiscs and CT pads on a Golf - I know this to be false thanks to Kyle Gurney! Leaves a rather bad taste.

seriously, as someone who owns girodisc and carbotech products, lmao.

Kyle sucks and at least one reason is that he shills for Carbotech (I assume because of his 529innovations sponsorship).

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 1.58.53 PM.png

The best pads do not require custom fab work to make fit!

Last edited:

ironicbadger

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 MK7.5 R EQT Stg1
Good news everyone!

The Ferodo pads ship with clips and therefore fit perfectly. No rattle I can hear at all but they are hilariously squeaky when cold. They fit both the Girodiscs and Zimmerman front rotors. I have elected to run Zimmerman blanks this weekend as I strongly suspect my skills won't really benefit from the Giros yet.

Thankfully this saga has come to a conclusion! See you at the weekend!!

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
I've seen this with CT pads before, the lack of clip is just them being cheap. G-Loc includes it IIRC.

IMO if you have the zimmermans, just run those instead of messing with other pads.
I can confirm the G-Loc pads for my rear(oem) comes with the clip.