GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start/Stop tdi USA

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Found the proper starter for my TDI on eBay, from Latvia with free shipping, for $37 taxes included... so that's on the way. Ultimately I would likely try to get a new/remanufactured one but for experimentation, perfect.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
for $37 taxes included
Dang, that's a steal, that's great. I'm getting excited to start on this.

Just curious is your TDI manual or auto?

I'm lucky because they used these gas stop/start starters in everything, so I just got one in the mail from a Tiguan.

Also I again posted a not quite right part number, for the battery module connector. Turns out I ordered that 07Pxxx which I guess is the same part as 4F0973702A. I think the correct one is 4F0973702, no A at the end. The A one fits fine but the locking tab is on the right side where the factory one is on the left. Not a big deal obviously but probably makes it more annoying to plug/unplug since it's right up against the battery.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My TDI is a manual, but the DSG Mk7 TDIs here didn't get start stop either. Prices seem to be generally higher on the TDI starters, they're 2 kW motors as opposed to 1.1 kW for the gassers.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Oof I believe there is yet something else that we need - a neutral position sensor on the transmission. And I don’t believe our USA manual cars have it. Need to visually confirm that though. It’s 3 wires that go straight to the ECU according to the diagrams.

Hope the actual hole for it is still there and not just solid metal 😬

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oof I believe there is yet something else that we need - a neutral position sensor on the transmission. And I don’t believe our USA manual cars have it. Need to visually confirm that though. It’s 3 wires that go straight to the ECU according to the diagrams.
Always something... looks like part number 02T906207D... $80 new from my dealer (MSRP is $112). Would have to figure out the plug part number. G107 G701 in the drawing, wiring is simple enough, 2 to the ECU and a ground.

Is there just a plug/cap there on your transmission? I'll try and have a look at my car sometime this week.

Attachments

• 1681327894836.png
    1681327894836.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1681327914931.png
    1681327914931.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 26

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@Cuzoe ok good to confirm we found the same part #. I also found an aftermarket equivalent which is Facet 9.0773, and I’m a cheap ass so I may order that instead lol.

Would have to figure out the plug part number
Apologies in advance if you already know this, but I realized recently that they actually put part numbers for the connectors in the tiniest little font in the wiring diagram. (At the end where it shows pinouts, look right under the illustration of the connector) I’m mad I never noticed it before 😂 4F0973703A

I need to check too, I’m not sure what’s there. Cause there’s supposed to be a bolt that holds in the sensor too so I don’t know what they did for that on our cars that don’t have it. I’m assuming I don’t have the sensor since the values don’t change for me in the live data when I move the shifter around.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is all I have... am I also blind? 😁
1681336943804.png

All these CLV----- numbers are different, which suggests they cross-reference to something, maybe I should find that table.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@2018gti Well now I'm mad, haha. I mostly just look at my "old" CRUA Golf TDI drawings, although I have later diagrams from GTIs/Rs (among many other models) that I got from Erwin while I was subscribed.

I've never looked in the connector section of those though. Mostly just used as a reference for retrofits, for things never available in my Golf. Maybe the info has been there all along 🤦🏿‍♂️... will report back.

Edit: Yes we have different drawings, or the at least the GTI drawings are better. I just pulled up 2019 Golf R diagrams, pulled from Erwin maybe 6 months ago, although the date is 01.2017 where you show 07.2017's...
1681358089352.png

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well dammit, how serious do we want to get with this?

Here's the spot, I think, where the neutral position sensor would be :cautious: ... reverse sensor plug right above it.
1681359903066.png

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Wow I’m really bummed ☹️ I haven’t checked mine but I don’t really have high hopes for it. Ugh.. so many parts ordered.

Do you think start stop would still work without it? It makes me wonder what their process is since I thought all the transmissions come from Germany. Why would they drill out some and not others.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Based on the video I posted I don't think it will work without it, snip from the beginning of/reason for the video...
1681392504123.png

Drilling that hole, and then needing a screw/cap for it costs money. If it was a cast or threaded whole we would see a cap/plug of some type. But I guess it doesn't make sense to drill a hole for a sensor that's not going to be installed that you will then need to effectively cap. Transmission is likely getting put together with the required starter and sensors at the same time.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
That sucks. Well I guess that’s it for this retrofit ☹️ (edit - maybe not..) We have spare starters now I guess 😒

Our options would be to drill a hole and tap some threads in, and not mess that up. And what about the metal shavings that would go into the transmission. Maybe take the shifter/selector thing out and try to catch the shavings? It seems crazy but maybe with being careful and changing the gear oil after, it would be possible.

Another idea would be to create some contraption that accomplishes what’s happening inside the gearbox with the sensor, but outside. Or hook it up and put a magnet on it so it always says it’s in neutral lol.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My starter was apparently lost at a foreign sorting facility, eBay seller refunded me about 2 hours ago. Although at $40 I would still rather have it.

I think I'll order the sensor, the Facet PN you mentioned... and see how it looks compared to the "hole" in my transmission case. I wonder how much material needs to be drilled through for the sensor to sit flush.

Last edited: