GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My seat parts arrive today, I need to figure out how to remove the fabric on the base of my fancy expensive seat so the pad thing can go in, and I'm really (really, REALLY) hoping that the folks at Corbeau didn't lie to me and that the brackets do in fact have mounting for the stock seatbelts.

I'm gonna disconnect the battery and do the passenger's side seat, then once it's in pull the car out of the garage and back it in so I can have space for fighting the driver's seat. I'm intimidated by the fabric removal process, but everything else seems like it should be pretty straightforward.
Progress ? Anyway, I bought hog ring pliers and some rings because although I'm also intimidated by taking apart these seats, it doesn't mean I won't try. I really want to retain seat heating, so that is my motivation. Found a good YT vid that shows the take-apart process for a Recaro Sportster, so I'm feeling optimistic. I won't get to work on them this weekend as still waiting on other pieces, so maybe next weekend?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Got my connectors for seat swap or airbag delete harnesses. Starting to put together another track only no airbag light seat swap kit.

20230316_134714.jpg
20230307_193038.jpg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Progress ? Anyway, I bought hog ring pliers and some rings because although I'm also intimidated by taking apart these seats, it doesn't mean I won't try. I really want to retain seat heating, so that is my motivation. Found a good YT vid that shows the take-apart process for a Recaro Sportster, so I'm feeling optimistic. I won't get to work on them this weekend as still waiting on other pieces, so maybe next weekend?

Well, I learned some stuff. #1, if you're smart and disconnect the harness from the car (under the carpet, there's a little access door held shut by a plug), you don't need to mangle the harness trying to disconnect it from the seat. I was not smart, and so I popped the harness off of the seat, though I wasn't able to disconnect everything. Oh well, it's still functional should I desire to go back to it.

I was back and forth and decided I didn't need heated seats so I folded the heating pad up on itself to make it fit nicely between the wiggly spring guys and the underside of the seat. In the process of dismantling things I must've messed up my seatbelt receiver's plug, so I've got another one on the way and then I'll finish up the seat install on the passenger's side. I've got the battery disconnected in order to avoid any error lights, so once I get the passengers' side seat installed I'll connect the battery again and pull the GTI out of the garage, and turn it around so I have adequate room to pull the driver's side seat out. The seats honestly come out far easier than I expected, pulling the seats in my Mazda was notably more annoying despite having way more space in which to work.

I'll take photos once the seatbelt receiver comes in, but it's not been a painful process up to this point. PS if you're a smart guy unlike me, when you pull the seat you'll take note of what plugs go where. I did not, and I'm going to be referencing wire colors/connections from the driver's seat, but I'm going to be futzing with these for a while as I try to get the height dialed in. The lower seating position is a plus because I didn't really fit properly with a helmet on the OEM seats, so I'm going to be stacking washers to try to get it how I want. I hear thigh support is a thing, so there's a good chance I'll try with barely any washers in the back and a full stack up front, though I'm using the stock bolts at this time (and if I need more height adjustment, I'll get longer bolts).
Y'all know what $50 of washers looks like? It's hilarious. I bought 100 of the two sizes of washers I needed for the brackets to the seats and the brackets to the car, and I think that's adequate for two seats.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Kinda wondering what washers, spacers and bolts to get so I can mimic the oem seat orientation and height from the floor.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Kinda wondering what washers, spacers and bolts to get so I can mimic the oem seat orientation and height from the floor.
I can post some pictures in the AM, but I think others have gone with longer bolts where I'm just stacking wide washers. If you do longer bolts the options greatly expand, but I don't know what the thread pattern is offhand.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I can post some pictures in the AM, but I think others have gone with longer bolts where I'm just stacking wide washers. If you do longer bolts the options greatly expand, but I don't know what the thread pattern is offhand.
Actually plan on doing this today, also going with the washer stack method since I couldn’t locate the steel bushings locally. I went with M10 1.5x50mm bolts and 3/8” washers. TBD if they work but for the low cost figured it’d be worth a shot.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Seat harnesses and 8 inch glass screen just showed up.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
8 inch screen installed, fired right up, set the time and I hear my music for the first time in several weeks.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Some new plugs instead of the brisk er10s and my plate that I ordered in October finally came!
Excellent plate….my b5.5 needed that plate with as many CELs as I got