GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ISUDAR For Apple Carplay/Android Auto Wireless Module - anyone try?

Pyro

I don't have the USB in the cubby, I have the MDI port....and in that regard no it doesn't effect it. The unit comes with it's own USB port and MINI-SD card port which you can use while using the GUI of the iSUDAR, or you can switch back to the original screen (by holding the media button for 2 seconds) and use the USB cubby port like you normal would have, but the iSUDAR will not recognize the USB cubby media.
Hey thanks for a real world response! You have the 5.8" screen as well? Do you find the screen responsive enough for regular use, especially when using something like Google Maps or changing your music app?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Isn’t the MIB3 incompatible with AID since it lacks the fiber MOST port?
It won't be able to show maps on our AID, although other things may work... navigation directions with arrows, audio info, caller info (without pictures), etc. assuming MIB 3 can still send those over CAN. My guess is it can, because late Mk7.5s had MIB 3.

Mostly depends on if anything has been moved over to ethernet communication only.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wanted to post quick impressions. Setup was easy. Interface is a little slow, but I can deal. Dropped my daughter off and it worked fine. Now it won’t initialize and I can’t connect to reset it. Kind of the experience I expected and didn’t want. This is why I have been so hesitant of any of these “solutions”. I would rather put time and effort into a retrofit if I find a solid answer.
Constant updates both from the makers of these dongles and from Apple can sometimes make them unreliable. But for the most part once set up and working people seem to have really good luck with them.

Having done my share, the full suite really, of MIB retrofits I'm sticking with a dongle for my wireless app connect fix. MIB 3 introduces lots of unknowns. For reference my journey...

MIB I non-nav, MIB II non-nav, MIB II Nav, MIB II matte 8", MIB II glass 8", MIB 2.5 (hacked unit, not NAR, weird problems, and no XM) with 9" glass, MIB 2.5 non-hacked, everything working including XM

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Constant updates both from the makers of these dongles and from Apple can sometimes make them unreliable. But for the most part once set up and working people seem to have really good luck with them.

Having done my share, the full suite really, of MIB retrofits I'm sticking with a dongle for my wireless app connect fix. MIB 3 introduces lots of unknowns. For reference my journey...

MIB I non-nav, MIB II non-nav, MIB II Nav, MIB II matte 8", MIB II glass 8", MIB 2.5 (hacked unit, not NAR, weird problems, and no XM) with 9" glass, MIB 2.5 non-hacked, everything working including XM
It worked the first time no problem. Then just keeps saying reading usb and circling then quits. Can’t connect to it to even reset it or rollback. If you’re not willing to dive into MIB3 I may have to figure out if I want to return and reorder this or what. I like the premise, form factor and even the updating of it.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Hey thanks for a real world response! You have the 5.8" screen as well? Do you find the screen responsive enough for regular use, especially when using something like Google Maps or changing your music app?
Yes I have the 5.8" screen. Its actually snappier than the original MIB1 setup, and I don't notice any lag. Honestly when using it you can hardly tell the difference between my brothers 2021 MIB3 Atlas. I mean the screen is tiny but it still gets the job done. If I was stuck with this with no option to upgrade, I don't think I would care. Sometimes I do wish I was able to get the music tracks to switch with the steering wheel controls since i'm using aux-in, but switching tracks on the screen is easy enough.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Since so many have had luck with this product, I’m going to give it a fair shake. I am returning the 4.0 and I ordered a 3.0 from Carlinkit direct. They have a good deal right now. $75 shipped with the discount code. It’s worth a shot. If I don’t like this one I will return the wired way.

kyllo34

Car(s)
Mk7 golf r
Yes I have the 5.8" screen. Its actually snappier than the original MIB1 setup, and I don't notice any lag. Honestly when using it you can hardly tell the difference between my brothers 2021 MIB3 Atlas. I mean the screen is tiny but it still gets the job done. If I was stuck with this with no option to upgrade, I don't think I would care. Sometimes I do wish I was able to get the music tracks to switch with the steering wheel controls since i'm using aux-in, but switching tracks on the screen is easy enough.
So it sounds like the ISUDAR solution works pretty much like wired except for not being able to switch tracks using the steering wheel controls?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I'm an Android user and I have the AA wireless dongle. Other than the fact that this offers both AA and CP how is this any different?

kyllo34

Car(s)
Mk7 golf r
I'm an Android user and I have the AA wireless dongle. Other than the fact that this offers both AA and CP how is this any different?
My understanding is that it acts as some sort of bridge behind the head unit to provide wireless CP/AA in a more reliable way than other wireless solutions out there with the added benefit of not having a dongle hanging around. IM waiting for clarification but it sounds like you lose the ability to switch tracks using the steering wheel controls and the USB port in the cubby.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
My understanding is that it acts as some sort of bridge behind the head unit to provide wireless CP/AA in a more reliable way than other wireless solutions out there with the added benefit of not having a dongle hanging around. IM waiting for clarification but it sounds like you lose the ability to switch tracks using the steering wheel controls and the USB port in the cubby.

I'm not concerned with losing the USB port, but losing steering wheel controls is a non starter for me. My AA Wireless works pretty well about 85/90% of the time, but I only paid 40.00 for it so it doesn't leave me much room to complain.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Yes the only reason you lose the steering wheel control for switching tracks is because of the Aux-In interface, would be the same attaching any other music device. Some people have been successful of having both bluetooth and aux-in connected and using the bluetooth as the source of sound while using the interface of the iSUDAR, but at the time it was buggy and only worked with CarPlay.

kyllo34

Car(s)
Mk7 golf r
Yes the only reason you lose the steering wheel control for switching tracks is because of the Aux-In interface, would be the same attaching any other music device. Some people have been successful of having both bluetooth and aux-in connected and using the bluetooth as the source of sound while using the interface of the iSUDAR, but at the time it was buggy and only worked with CarPlay.
Ah, i was hoping that the iSUDAR would use WIFI to do everything and use the same interface as the usb in the back.

Pyro

Hi everyone, posting a long overdue follow up:

I finally decided to buy the Isudar, had various small issues (ie: needed to buy an MDI to AUX cable so I can set the sound to AUX) but I finally, very briefly got it to work. However when I unplugged the module to start pulling the wires through the glove box etc to hide everything it stopped working and I can't figure out why.

1) OEM radio (inside glove box) works fine when plugged directly into the car.

2) Headunit does not turn on when OEM radio is plugged into the provided power harness (this lets you power both the OEM radio and module). However, the OEM radio is still working as I can get it to play music vie bluetooth, just the head unit is completely unresponsive.

3) Headunit does not turn on when both OEM radio and wireless module are plugged in. The wireless module is actually working as it will start playing music as well and I can hear the click when I switch between the module and the regular OEM radio even if I can't see it switch on the headunit screen.

It doesn't seem like the power harness they provide would suddenly go bad (it was completely working temporarily until I unplugged it again to start hiding the cables in the car) as that it's pretty robust and it's obviously providing power to both the OEM radio and the module. So I guess it's either:
- the power harness actually did go bad somehow
- or for some reason, when the oem radio is connected to the Isudar power harness instead of directly to the car, it's not sending a signal to the headunit to turn on?

Here are some video links I sent to Isudar to try and get some help with the issue.

https://youtube.com/shorts/028xTajXRz4

https://youtube.com/shorts/pjHYt4Hjvlc?feature=share

dtires

Car(s)
2015 golf
I just bought this unit last week and am surprised how well it works. I have a fender sub and steering wheel controls work just fine.

The one problem I have is getting the stock reverse camera to come up when I put the car into reverse. I'm assuming the video feed should be sent through the harness but do I need to connect the trigger wire to something? If anyone has got this working with the stock camera please let me know!