GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tutorial: How-To Fit Helix Soundbox + Spare in GTI

dmcgrath009

Ready to race!
I ended up cutting the rear trim.

The rear floor is just a bit high. I could see it rattling on the sub we will see how it goes after I get it programmed.

Attachments

• 20220326_151941.jpg
    20220326_151941.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 170
  • 20220326_151938.jpg
    20220326_151938.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 153
  • 20220326_151053.jpg
    20220326_151053.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 144
  • 20220326_152130.jpg
    20220326_152130.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • 20220326_152239.jpg
    20220326_152239.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 144
  • 20220326_152246.jpg
    20220326_152246.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 172

cloudmk7

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport
FYI for others, you don’t actually need to cut the rear trim as dmcgrath009 did. This just allows him to keep the sub perfectly centered over the spare. Without trimming the sub will be scooted forward relative to the tire, but the spacer ring will still clear the extended sparetire screw. The nut will be offset to the back of the sub hole (since the sub is scooted forward, but it will still clear. The screws for the feet do not need to be reinstalled after removing the feet. They are just holding on the feet and screw in to wood or mdf. The sub will not fall apart without them.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
See this: https://www.volkswagen-zubehoer.de/de/plug-play-soundsystem.html

I don't think anything's been updated since 2018, though. To my knowledge, there's no new models that are also compatible with the Helix upgrade. The Arteon is the last update that I can recall. Am I incorrect?
This got me wondering, I just got through with installing a full MIB2 retrofit. I had to revisit the individual who coded the unit because the sound file was wrong for my two-door model. Will I run into problems programming a Helix unit for a two door car due to the retrofit? I can't imagine the dealership would have a problem coding this but just want to be sure. Bought my unit from someone who had it in their wagon.

Cheers,

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hey,

Will I run into problems programming a Helix unit for a two door car due to the retrofit? I can't imagine the dealership would have a problem coding this but just want to be sure. Bought my unit from someone who had it in their wagon.
I'm not sure that I understand the question completely. Are you asking if reflashing to a different file will be problematic? The answer is no. Please clarify if that's not what you asked. The dealer will charge quite a bit more to reflash your Helix than if you were to get on the waiting list for the dongle rental. Just a thought.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks for the response, I believe that answers my question. I'm not an expert but I was just wondering if I would run into problems with compatibility. My MIB unit came out of a 2017 with Fender audio, however my GTI didn't have any premium audio. It was a bit of a hassle to have the unit coded to match the car (2-door, without amplifier) but we eventually loaded a sound file that worked.

My question was just asking if I'll run into problems with adding a helix into the equation. I'm sure it's fine as you mentioned. I'll probably wait for the dongle rental as you suggested, I believe it's about 100$ for the dealership to do it.

Edit; Was looking through your content, and this somewhat answers the question. It may have something to do with the loads (you touched on the MIB1 vs the MIB2 oriented files). I'll try 56/96 respectively to see if there's any difference for my MIB2 retrofit. Not sure if if the difference will be greater than than you found in your test due to the 2-door vs 4-door model. As always thanks for your in depth content exploring some of these questions, been following your stuff for a while.

Last edited: