GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Blind Spot

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
Hi, I'm thinking about installing Blind Spot assist and Lane Change assist. to My VW GOLF Mk7 Variant. ( All needed hardware installed except BSM stuff)
Maybe someone did this and know where to get Harness or at least Harness code of it so i can order from VW.

Also mirrors new need cables or upgraded cables so i was looking for used Harness and found this 5G2971161BM but i'm not sure what BM means. Other cables has LB RQ AQ JK and other letter combinations. Maybe anyone knows?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Done lots of times... https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/retrofitting-blind-spot-assist-side-assist.367481/

I don't know of anyone ordering OEM harness, inexpensive from Ali though... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832640994578.html?
I don't know if you'll find an OEM harness for just BSM. Lots of times there is one integrated harness that may include wiring for other things. But you only need the BSM harness so Ali (or Kufatec, possibly CarSystems.eu) will be your best bet. Ali being least expensive of course, and working for lots of us.

The harness part number you have, 5G2971161BM, is just a harness for the left front door. I don't know if it has the blind spot wiring in it but you don't need a full door harness. And you will still need the other harness I linked.

Last edited:

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
Done lots of times... https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/retrofitting-blind-spot-assist-side-assist.367481/

I don't know of anyone ordering OEM harness, inexpensive from Ali though... https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832640994578.html?
I don't know if you'll find an OEM harness for just BSM. Lots of times there is one integrated harness that may include wiring for other things. But you only need the BSM harness so Ali (or Kufatec, possibly CarSystems.eu) will be your best bet. Ali being least expensive of course, and working for lots of us.

The harness part number you have, 5G2971161BM, is just a harness for the left front door. I don't know if it has the blind spot wiring in it but you don't need a full door harness. And you will still need the other harness I linked.
So i need this cables all i need? except i mean mirrors , radars themselves and holders? What about CP did you removed yourself?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No CP on blind spot modules unless you go with the new generation 2Q radars. I haven't heard of any real benefit over the 5Q's though.

And the 2Q's require a certain firmware to work, less trouble just go with 5Q's, no CP.

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
No CP on blind spot modules unless you go with the new generation 2Q radars. I haven't heard of any real benefit over the 5Q's though.

And the 2Q's require a certain firmware to work, less trouble just go with 5Q's, no CP.
Wow that really helpful, what about acc did you installed one of these?

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7

What is real difference from these 2?

1677801087613.png
1677801109953.png

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I did retrofit ACC, all of the radars have component protection. If you go with any of the newer (square) radars the features also tied to FEC/SWaP. The older (round, spherical looking) radar has CP only, but being older is not capable of some of the advanced ACC features (traffic jam assist, pACC, etc.)

... I don't know anything about the silver unit, different part number and hardware though. And probably the "real" issue is the silver unit won't fit in the brackets for your Golf, haha. That being said, the difference could just be the mounting. But I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to mount something that might not work for no gain unless you just want to experiment. Maybe if you can get them for free it could be worth it.

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
I did retrofit ACC, all of the radars have component protection. If you go with any of the newer (square) radars the features also tied to FEC/SWaP. The older (round, spherical looking) radar has CP only, but being older is not capable of some of the advanced ACC features (traffic jam assist, pACC, etc.)
Great, but for tied FEC/SWaP you need vw or you can do by yourself? Also is there a restriction or requirements for Square one? I mean Gateway or something else? Because Gateway is high on my golf, ABS 3Q if im not mistaken.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
High gateway is okay for any ACC. For the ABS the full part number is needed to research the capabilities.

VW will not help with FEC/SWAP. Will need help from one of the retrofit providers. A lot can be done using info from mibsolution.one also, although I do not have experience with this.

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7
High gateway is okay for any ACC. For the ABS the full part number is needed to research the capabilities.

VW will not help with FEC/SWAP. Will need help from one of the retrofit providers. A lot can be done using info from mibsolution.one also, although I do not have experience with this.
Can you share coding for Blind Spot and Lane Change Assist?

Justinas

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW GOLF MK7

Does Blind spot controllers have to be from same car? or i can buy them separate?