GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I used some big self tappers when I did my speaker seals.

Having second thoughts about a rivet tool, as I`ve never needed one before I don`t think it would get much use in the future.

I have been to the dealers and ordered the Mk8 splash guards.

I've fixed a few VAG cars in the past just that when I got my rivet tool I made certain it could do decent sized rivet nuts..just its a big tool, so can be awkward. as the handles are about 18inch long!!

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Get the one that I fitted which has the NACA duct slot for the DSG gearbox....Only overheating I've heard of is when somebody makes a 100% cover for the exhaust tunnel when the OEM only covers the front section of the tunnel to allow for cooling of the rest of the exhaust...If you're that worried get the heavily vented GTE (Hybrid) thin areo cover for the engine bay...
I presume you're talking about 5Q0 825 236Q or 5Q0 825 236N or 3Q0 825 902? I'm reading part 1 (post #2) and I'm a bit confused with all the different tray and supplementing hardware. I want something that would provide good aerodynamic and drag reduction while supplying sufficient airflow to prevent overheating at the track and good protection for when I'm slightly lower than stock on those Bilstein B16.

Damn that's so clean and smooth. How do you like it? I want something like that too and trying to figure out all the trays I need. So far I think I need the following:

Front exhaust cover: 5Q0825229C
Rear exhaust tunnel cover: 5Q0825206K
Front LCA channel covers: 5WA407118 and 5WA407117

I think I'm missing the two trays to the left and right middle of the centre pipe of the exhaust? Or does stock GTI already come with it? I can't get under the car right now cus it's winter.

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I’m running the 5Q0825236N vented undertray and am lowered (B6 Damptronics + Eibach Pro Kit).

It’s not a reinforced piece, so additional protection is minimal (basically just an extended version of the stock tray). No overheating issues and I’ve had it on for 20k+.
Do you track though? I got overheating warnings twice at the track in the summer on stock tray with stage 1.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I presume you're talking about 5Q0 825 236Q or 5Q0 825 236N or 3Q0 825 902? I'm reading part 1 (post #2) and I'm a bit confused with all the different tray and supplementing hardware. I want something that would provide good aerodynamic and drag reduction while supplying sufficient airflow to prevent overheating at the track and good protection for when I'm slightly lower than stock on those Bilstein B16.

Damn that's so clean and smooth. How do you like it? I want something like that too and trying to figure out all the trays I need. So far I think I need the following:

Front exhaust cover: 5Q0825229C
Rear exhaust tunnel cover: 5Q0825206K
Front LCA channel covers: 5WA407118 and 5WA407117

I think I'm missing the two trays to the left and right middle of the centre pipe of the exhaust? Or does stock GTI already come with it? I can't get under the car right now cus it's winter.

Front engine bay reinforced skid tray with one duct (required for the DSG or for extra cooling) as per mine.
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C,
Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray),
Now called in USA:-
Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray)

The reinforced skid tray requires the following hardware to fit as per factory:-
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)

____________________________________________________________________________________

The thin plastic aero tray:-
5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front
3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE)

Item No.10:- WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,(M8x20mm), (x3) shorter than the skid tray rear bolts as the "Aero" tray is thinner plastic
All are full size trays & require the rear three bolts, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they also use the existing small black screws...

I don't know what your car has fitted but usually they don't have those extra trays (front & rear exhaust tunnel covers) fitted. It won't have the MK8 aero covers for the lower rear arms !

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Fitted these just moments ago, and not surprisingly for factory parts, it’s really simple.

The front exhaust tunnel, due to the side tabs (honestly reminds me of a pad) I slid them under the existing trim from the front of the car and then into place. This kept me from trying to bend and twist plastic to slot one side and then the other.

For the rear exhaust tunnel, I had to remove the existing metal speed washer from the exhaust heat shielding. There wasn’t enough of the stud exposed for the new trim to go on as is. They’re press fir into place from both sides on the heat shield, so a flathead made quick work of removing the existing one by popping the backing off. The new trim panel went into place easily after that.

Only a few miles of seat time now, but it definitely sounds more solid. Almost like it echos less over rough roads or even less road sounds make it into the cabin now.

Definitely recommend. I didn’t do the rear axle cover, but I may revisit that later. For now I think the rear stone guards should be sufficient.

As always thanks for the guide!

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Front engine bay reinforced skid tray with one duct (required for the DSG or for extra cooling) as per mine.
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C,
Underrun bar with one duct (Skid tray),
Now called in USA:-
Item No. 23:- 3Q0 825 902, Underrun bar (Skid tray)

The reinforced skid tray requires the following hardware to fit as per factory:-
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98
Item No. 27:- 907 559 02, Spline head bolt with washer, £1.14 (x2)

____________________________________________________________________________________

The thin plastic aero tray:-
5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front
3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE)

Item No.10:- WHT 000 729 A, hexagon socket head bolt, self-locking,(M8x20mm), (x3) shorter than the skid tray rear bolts as the "Aero" tray is thinner plastic
All are full size trays & require the rear three bolts, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they also use the existing small black screws...

I don't know what your car has fitted but usually they don't have those extra trays (front & rear exhaust tunnel covers) fitted. It won't have the MK8 aero covers for the lower rear arms !
So you're saying 5Q0 825 902C and 3Q0 825 902 are the same skid tray? I found only 3Q0 825 902B and it costs $415CAD.

I do have the MK8 aero covers installed already.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So you're saying 5Q0 825 902C and 3Q0 825 902 are the same skid tray? I found only 3Q0 825 902B and it costs $415CAD.

I do have the MK8 aero covers installed already.

When I wrote this 7yrs ago 5Q0 825 902C was the reinforced skid tray with one duct.

When the Alltrack & the Passat (I think) where available in the USA the part was then made available in the USA but under the code:- 3Q0 825 902.

I have no idea what its called now over there.