GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Yea I I guess the assumption here is a big one but my question is assuming everything is installed correctly. You don't have to look too hard to find people having issues with both but troubleshooting and fixing a LPFP / MPI setup seems more of a pain than swapping out a HPFP.

I guess the real question is if LPFP/MPI setups on this platform have gotten to the point where they are relatively trouble free when installed correctly and when not pushed to their limits.
If you use correct fuel line and clamps along with install injectors correctly I don't see much that could go wrong. MPI comes stock on ROW models, we're just changing the injector size and when it fires.

I've been trouble free other than a runner flap code that popped recently. Using a China euro mani, so more than likely need to swap the diaphragm from my stock unit.

Other than that I've only heard of the rare injector issue, but you also get those with your DI injectors.

Personally it seems like 1 out of every 4 autotech posts is a failure. I'm sure a lot of that is on the install and not the part, but I'm also 1.8 so HPFP wasn't really an option until recently.

As for LPFP. Go RS3, don't bother swapping a new pump in your existing basket and that'll remove almost all possible issues. Most lpfp problems are install related.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Right on. Thanks guys.

Fuel lines had not even crossed my mind. I'll do some research on setups and see where we land but the goal is to get this stuff installed this spring
I'm using these guys with their single ear clamps and tool:
https://www.anhosefittings.com/fkm-viton-sae-j30-r9-push-lock-fuel-hose.html
https://www.anhosefittings.com/single-ear-oetiker-hose-clamp-tool-kit.html
15.3mm clamps are what they recommend for their 5/16 hose, which is stock size.
Gates also makes a good hose a lot of others are using with no issue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233865574292

Regardless, make sure your hose is rated for the fuel you'll be using - both of the above are e85+, methanol, etc. Oetiker or Single ear clamps would be a must IMO, they work so much better when sized correctly than worm gear or others, plus it's fuel line, I really don't want it going anywhere.

Other than that you can do braided, Anhosefittings.com has good prices if you're willing to build it yourself. If not I'd recommend looking at Precision Raceworks kits. They have a full 3/8ths from LPFP to bay or just a bay only kit.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
As for LPFP. Go RS3, don't bother swapping a new pump in your existing basket and that'll remove almost all possible issues. Most lpfp problems are install related.

Dumb question but is the RS3 fuel pump direct bolt On?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
One more time for us noobs. The controller comes with the RS3 pump? So I just need to source am OEM RS3 pump online and it'll be good to go? That's way less expensive than the alternatives.
It's not quite that simple. So the pump and the controller are from the RS3. They're sold separately, and yes, you can source them to use if you'd like to save a few bucks. Though you'll need hardware that is AWD or FWD dependent to make the pump and controller play nice with the MQB.
20221007_144550.jpg
20221105_154728.jpg

FWD you need the center plug hardware and the male bundy, the controller harness, and the fuel level sender harness. This is in addition to a pump and the newer black controller.
You can buy premade kits as well to simplify things:
https://scskunkwerks.com/products/brushless-rs3-low-pressure-fuel-pump-upgrade-for-fwd-mqb

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Rando Q: Why do tuners generally set the oil temps lower? I have a guess that the lower baseline temp helps keep components protected as the car is pushed and heated up. But I don’t really know. Just curious.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Rando Q: Why do tuners generally set the oil temps lower? I have a guess that the lower baseline temp helps keep components protected as the car is pushed and heated up. But I don’t really know. Just curious.
They don't. They set the cylinder head temperature targets lower, which causes the ECU to run the water pump more aggressively. The oil is cooled by coolant, which then in turns lowers oil temps somewhat.
It's a nice trick for street-driven tuned cars to keep them alive longer.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They don't. They set the cylinder head temperature targets lower, which causes the ECU to run the water pump more aggressively. The oil is cooled by coolant, which then in turns lowers oil temps somewhat.
It's a nice trick for street-driven tuned cars to keep them alive longer.
Neat! Thanks

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Somewhat off-topic, but has anyone seen the 2022/2023 GLI wheels for sale? They look like Brescias which afaik were only on the EU Clubsport and Polo GTIs. If they're 18" and 5x112 would be hella interested in picking some up.

2022-volkswagen-jetta-gli-autobahn-103-edit-1645827739.jpg

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
Should I be concerned that my shifter will occasionally give a harsh vibration when going into neutral? 2018 6MT gti.
It has happened a few times before, where I'll be in gear and coming to a stop, press the clutch fully in and then shift into neutral, but it seems like there's a resistance and the shifter will shake around until I "force" it fully into neutral. It's not difficult to get it there, but it does require an extra nudge.
Most recently happened today going from 1st to neutral in slow traffic and I think that is when it usually happens but I can't be certain it hasn't happened during other shifts too.

Tried searching the forums but all I found were issues regarding the clutch pedal, not the actual shifter.

Edit: forgot to add that I recently installed the holy shift short shifter kit and I thought that fixed the issue, that maybe it was the linkages needing to be reset, but today was the first time it happened since installing the kit about a month and a half ago.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Should I be concerned that my shifter will occasionally give a harsh vibration when going into neutral? 2018 6MT gti.
It has happened a few times before, where I'll be in gear and coming to a stop, press the clutch fully in and then shift into neutral, but it seems like there's a resistance and the shifter will shake around until I "force" it fully into neutral. It's not difficult to get it there, but it does require an extra nudge.
Most recently happened today going from 1st to neutral in slow traffic and I think that is when it usually happens but I can't be certain it hasn't happened during other shifts too.

Tried searching the forums but all I found were issues regarding the clutch pedal, not the actual shifter.

Edit: forgot to add that I recently installed the holy shift short shifter kit and I thought that fixed the issue, that maybe it was the linkages needing to be reset, but today was the first time it happened since installing the kit about a month and a half ago.
It might be worth checking your linkage fasteners, and shifter alignment. Has anything else been changed in your driveline? What method did you use to align your shifter following the installation of the kit?

Ja_mill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 6MT GTI
It might be worth checking your linkage fasteners, and shifter alignment. Has anything else been changed in your driveline? What method did you use to align your shifter following the installation of the kit?
I'll recheck everything later this week when I have a day off work. Nothing else has changed on the driveline, and the shifter feels fine going through the gears normally, it just sometimes has that issue.

I used the DAP installation video to install and align the shifter.
From their video starting around 8:30