GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My Cobb intake setup is wrinkle black.
The intake arm?

I'm on the modded stock box with an AFE filter. I had the MST TIP/hose prior to the Dtr6054, which aren't compatible, and switched to the APR out of necessity to facilitate the completion of the install. I just don't like the look of things made out of carbon just for show. Only other thing that looks kinda stock-ish is the 034 P34 intake, but $380 for that is a huge ask IMO.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
The intake arm?

I'm on the modded stock box with an AFE filter. I had the MST TIP/hose prior to the Dtr6054, which aren't compatible, and switched to the APR out of necessity to facilitate the completion of the install. I just don't like the look of things made out of carbon just for show. Only other thing that looks kinda stock-ish is the 034 P34 intake, but $380 for that is a huge ask IMO.
No the inlet arm/hose is silicon, but the filter housing and air duct above the grille is all wrinkle black.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
The intake arm?

Neuspeed is wrinkle black, but open intake. Straight part of the inlet tube on the IE is wrinkle black, bends are silicone, but also open.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Lol I'm literally just looking to replace the center section, not the entire intake. I'm keeping the factory airbox. I'm simply wondering if maybe i haven't researched well enough. Matte/satin OEM look.

Edit. I suppose the AutoTech intake is closer to what I'm thinking. Just wondering if I'm missing any other maybe lesser known options too.

Last edited:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I’ve noticed that AFR takes about 30 seconds to register on the AP before it starts reading correctly. Is this just because of the cold or is the 02 sensor getting tired?

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Lol I'm literally just looking to replace the center section, not the entire intake. I'm keeping the factory airbox. I'm simply wondering if maybe i haven't researched well enough. Matte/satin OEM look.

Edit. I suppose the AutoTech intake is closer to what I'm thinking. Just wondering if I'm missing any other maybe lesser known options too.

034 motorsports intake tube may be what your looking for.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
Discovered an oil leek, seems to be coming from the side of the head where the vacuum pump for the brakes is.

I have only seen videos/DIYs for mk5/6, where it's usually just an o-ring being replaced. It looks as if the mk7 uses a gasket. Job seems fairly easy, I just want to make sure I have the right parts.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’ve noticed that AFR takes about 30 seconds to register on the AP before it starts reading correctly. Is this just because of the cold or is the 02 sensor getting tired?

Yeah.....my AFR tells me I'm almost WOT at a full stop, then it slowly starts creeping up to 14 lol

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
How hard is it to get access to the front sway bar mounting bushings? I’ve seen videos where they replace the sway bar and you have to drop the subframe. I just want to replace the bushings. Is there room to take off the mounting bolts and remove/replace the bushings without dropping the subframe?
#noliftproblems 😩

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
For some reason people really like their HPFPs. You mention MPI and they have a fit about incorrectly installed pump internals being superior. 🤷‍♂️

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
The general consensus is upgraded HPFP not needed if MPI is setup, however I would do it just for peace of mind.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Yea I I guess the assumption here is a big one but my question is assuming everything is installed correctly. You don't have to look too hard to find people having issues with both but troubleshooting and fixing a LPFP / MPI setup seems more of a pain than swapping out a HPFP.

I guess the real question is if LPFP/MPI setups on this platform have gotten to the point where they are relatively trouble free when installed correctly and when not pushed to their limits.