GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Looking at ball end hex sets, does anyone have a recommendation for which ones/ size to get?
Bondhus are supposed to be very good. Buying cheap ones has cost me significantly more in terms of rounded fasteners that then needed to be cut/drilled out. I'm buying Bondhus next time around, I'm tired of allen keys giving me issues.

e: the Harbor Freight allen key sockets I bought have been good. the Kobalt, however, not so much. YMMV, I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight but certain things I'm willing to spend more on. Largely flare nut wrenches, and battery tools.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Bondhus are supposed to be very good. Buying cheap ones has cost me significantly more in terms of rounded fasteners that then needed to be cut/drilled out. I'm buying Bondhus next time around, I'm tired of allen keys giving me issues.

e: the Harbor Freight allen key sockets I bought have been good. the Kobalt, however, not so much. YMMV, I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight but certain things I'm willing to spend more on. Largely flare nut wrenches, and battery tools.
I have a "will I use this more than 5-10 times" rule for harbor freight, if I will, I spend for the nicer tool.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I have a "will I use this more than 5-10 times" rule for harbor freight, if I will, I spend for the nicer tool.
It really comes down to this, and what I think the likelihood is that I'll need to use the warranty. I didn't have great results with the polished wrenches, meanwhile my Tekton set has been fantastic. The ratchets, impact sockets, jacks, and yes jack stands -- the non-recall ones -- continue to serve me well. Hell, even the torque wrenches test very well, and I've got several grinders that just keep on kicking.

I'm just really iffy about their battery support long term. My lawn/outdoor stuff is all Ryobi because I'm confident that I'll be able to get batteries for their stuff forever, and it's cheap (I hate lawn work). All my woodworking and automotive is Dewalt 20v, which has been good to me.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I have the same rule but there is a floor to it.

A hex set is a hex set. A 3/8 drive extension is a 3/8 drive extension. As long as they don't break (which I haven't had issues with HF on those) they're perfectly acceptable. I don't see the benefit in spending more on them.

Now a socket wrench or a torque wrench, I'll spring for something nicer because there is a difference in quality.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

A hex set is a hex set. A 3/8 drive extension is a 3/8 drive extension. As long as they don't break (which I haven't had issues with HF on those) they're perfectly acceptable. I don't see the benefit in spending more on them.

Now a socket wrench or a torque wrench, I'll spring for something nicer because there is a difference in quality.

only instance I can think of was a picked up a cheapo 1/2 to 3/8 adapter for my breaker bar. Joker sheared right off......lol.......

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

Very much agreed, though I'll use a cheap 'right tool for the job' before using a nice 'it fits, so send it' tool -- looking right at HF impact sockets versus spendy chrome sockets, when on the impact.

I'm also in a weird place with tools where I don't mind buying a new tool (in fact, I enjoy it greatly) but I don't have space in the toolbox to have too many duplicates, so it has me holding onto tools I'm less fond of/find less comfortable than their potential replacement, because there's nothing inherently wrong with them. I've got a couple ratchets, for example, that have lots of backdrag and the switches frequently stick, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them because you never know when you'll need a sacrificial one.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
There was a thread about fixing a broke CAI mounting point/stud (where the rubber grommet underneath the intake gets inserted into a stud). Same stud as how the engine cover mounts. I cannot find the thread again, And of course, I did not save the link/screenshot. Anyone by chance have the link saved?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Want basic rotors that are straight function over form? Some Zimmerman blanks.

Want some slight pizzaz that look a bit cooler? Grab the Zimmerman drilled ones.

Want ones that'll perform just as good, if not slightly worse than blanks, but look a million times better? Toss on some StopTech drilled and slotted ones.

Want rotors that say "My car has to look as dope as possible, regardless of the cost"? Load up all 4 corners with some drilled and slotted 2 piece rotors.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Damn. Would be awesome if there were like a wrinkle black or something like AFE just without the giant logo protruding from it.
My Cobb intake setup is wrinkle black.