GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EA 888 gen 3 possibly the most reliable engine?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
All cars are a crapshoot. Some last with no maintenance or care at all and others follow the owner's manual to the letter and second but fail for some stupid reason. While Consumer Reports provide data on surveys of issues and state what cars are more reliable than others in a macro sort of way, each one of us individually can't say one way or the other if any car is reliable or not.

My Camaro Z/28 had no real issues for 19 years until the water pump finally failed in spite of it having a transmission issue in the first year. My Corvette was in fantastic shape but had several chronic issues over the 6 years or so I owned it. The '18 R so far seems to be healthy with no real issues. Is it reliable? Over the last 4+ years, yes. But I can't say with any certainty if the engine is truly one of the most reliable. Searching the forums seem to indicate maybe not.
True statistics should be obtained in Europe, where the Golf family is super popular. American forums are a niche spot, and more often than not they will have people asking for help once something breaks rather than dropping by to say they have had no problems at all.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
2017 GTI.

123 now.
Tuned since about 30.
Ran 87 until got tuned cause stupid. Then 91, then 91 E20, now 91 E30.
Oil changes every 6500-7000, Liqui Moly.
Shortened DSG fluid change interval to 30-35.
Changed thermostat at around 90 or so. No other major failures.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You are probably right tbh.
But I am a firm believer that German cars should run on 91/93 octane gas. Just the way I grew up I guess 😏
I understand that, but from a reliability standpoint, it doesn't factor in if you run at least the min. octane fuel required and make sure it has adequate detergents (Top Tier).

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I'm sure some of it depends solely on which factory it came from.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I understand that, but from a reliability standpoint, it doesn't factor in if you run at least the min. octane fuel required and make sure it has adequate detergents (Top Tier).
higher octane is almost always a good thing for turbocharged motors. puttering around in a stock GTI, ok, but if you're going to be driving it hard, extra knock resistance is still a great thing to have.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
higher octane is almost always a good thing for turbocharged motors. puttering around in a stock GTI, ok, but if you're going to be driving it hard, extra knock resistance is still a great thing to have.
Yes, of course for maximizing power, but for absolute reliablity which was the discussion topic, for normal folks driving normally, it has zero bearing here beyond the detergents/additives.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
for absolute reliability, higher octane is still better.
I'll just disgree then. IF the car was tuned to be able to run a min. of 87 octane, you will never be able to show that taking two stock GTIs for this instance and running them both to 100K one with 87 and one with 91/93 that there would be any measureable "reliability" difference. Can you point out what specifically would be "less abslute reliablility" here with the one running the min. octane rating? The ECU handles all of this.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I'll just disgree then. IF the car was tuned to be able to run a min. of 87 octane, you will never be able to show that taking two stock GTIs for this instance and running them both to 100K one with 87 and one with 91/93 that there would be any measureable "reliability" difference. Can you point out what specifically would be "less abslute reliablility" here with the one running the min. octane rating? The ECU handles all of this.
the ecu "handles all of this" by pulling timing. log a car running even mediocre 91 and you'll see constant timing retard. yes, it will keep the motor alive by doing this, but you'll foul out spark plugs quicker, kill your cat quicker, etc. over 100k i'm sure that's going to be noticeable. these things will pull some timing even on decent 93. all of that is just plain old driving reliability, not to mention the reduction in chance of detonation. yes, a stock car is pretty unlikely to blow a piston, but running better fuel will reduce that chance further.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
No, you are wrong. Reasons? Because I am right. Other reasons? Because racecar. 😜

Yeah, I can’t really comment because my GTI has only 68k miles. It has been reliable up to this point, but my opinion may change if and when it starts reaching 150k miles and more. Also, I have rust to factor in as well, but engine and transmission aren’t really affected as much as brake/suspension components.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I've been very happy with mine. Almost 8 years and 85,000 miles later it really has just been general maintenance. That goes for the whole car.
Just had to do my oil pan gasket because it was leaking, and the only other "issue" I've had was some plastic piece on the top/back of the motor was leaking coolant and I replaced it myself.
All of my 2.0T's in general have been good to me (5 total over the last 15 years). It is my Ford that makes me nervous hah.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
True statistics should be obtained in Europe, where the Golf family is super popular. American forums are a niche spot, and more often than not they will have people asking for help once something breaks rather than dropping by to say they have had no problems at all.
Yeah, everyone everywhere usually hears about the problems and rarely about the successes. I didn't post on the F-Body forums that my car was running great for 18.5 years and then suddenly flood the forums with "My 19-year old Camaro is crap!" posts.