GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

MQB_7.5R

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Golf R(s)
Also, i need some clarification. Are you a GTI fan boy or my boy?
Both... did you ever get the milk you left for?

I actually sold my mk6 GTI recently and purchased a mk7.5 Golf R. I tried to change my name, but the admins are nowhere to be found.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, Macan Swap v2 on the R is off to a bad start after about... uh... 45 minutes of delivery of the calipers?

Started to disassemble them. To get the pistons out I use a compressor to push them out as much as possible. But once the first one is all the way out, that doesn't work anymore since it's no longer a closed line. What I did last time, and started doing this time, is taking some electrical tape, putting it over the ends of two screw drivers, and gently pulling them out.

Got the first piston out no problem with just air.

Got the second piston out with the screw drive mentioned above.

Went to get the third out, and the second I applied the tiniest bit of pressure, it started to chip and crumble.

1673651087135.png

Fuck.

I mean, I barely applied any pressure. Said 'Fuck it', and then just kept trying to get it out.

1673651134921.png

Whelp, I give up.

So.

1) Any ideas on how to get the pistons out? I can't pry it out using a covered screw driver and the lip. Salvaging the pistons is not a priority at this point.

2) What size are the pistons and/or where can I buy replacements?

Help me, @GTIfan99, you're my only hope!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well, Macan Swap v2 on the R is off to a bad start after about... uh... 45 minutes of delivery of the calipers?

Started to disassemble them. To get the pistons out I use a compressor to push them out as much as possible. But once the first one is all the way out, that doesn't work anymore since it's no longer a closed line. What I did last time, and started doing this time, is taking some electrical tape, putting it over the ends of two screw drivers, and gently pulling them out.

Went to get the third out, and the second I applied the tiniest bit of pressure, it started to chip and crumble.

View attachment 270269

Fuck.

I mean, I barely applied any pressure. Said 'Fuck it', and then just kept trying to get it out.

View attachment 270270

Whelp, I give up.

So.

1) Any ideas on how to get the pistons out? I can't pry it out using a covered screw driver and the lip. Salvaging the pistons is not a priority at this point.

2) What size are the pistons and/or where can I buy replacements?

Help me, @GTIfan99, you're my only hope!
OMG, what did you do?

Since I was power coating, I completely disassembled the caliper halves.

Anyway, plug up the open holes and use air. Some pieces of shop towel and duct tape.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
OMG, what did you do?

Since I was power coating, I completely disassembled the caliper halves.

Anyway, plug up the open holes and use air. Some pieces of shop towel and duct tape.

It's out, and trust me, you do not want to see it. I didn't want to turn on my compressor, so let's just say it became very assigned aquatinted with a pair of vice grips 🤣

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
From what I can tell this looks like the piston kit that would work.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...t-caliper-rebuild-kit-priced-each/8r0698471a/

Avoiding ECS, this looks like a third party OE spec kit. Even shipped from Lativa, it's about half the cost of the one from ECS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154542156016

Next problem. One of the crossover lines won't come out. Which I kinda want out for cleaning and powder coating. Like, almost striping it stuck. I hosed it with some PB, and will re-asses tomorrow.

Starting to think this project is cursed. About to just call it a very expensive fluid flush for my current brakes 🤣

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Where have you guys been able to purchase Castrol RRG in the US? A search shows suppliers outside the US but who will not ship to US. Are other brands of RRG acceptable for use in your experience?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

View attachment 270269

View attachment 270270

it's actually a GOOD thing you decided to take it apart.....that thing was begging to fall apart....wow

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
it's actually a GOOD thing you decided to take it apart.....that thing was begging to fall apart....wow
Not really... the pistons on the smaller 4 pot are of an inferior metal and the casting is hard, but very brittle... not to the extent, but kinda like tungsten that is extremely strong but if you twist it, it will crack. If you search online there are quite a few instances of people trying to pry out the pistons by the rim and having the same problem. They are design for axial force, not shear force.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Not really... the pistons on the smaller 4 pot are of an inferior metal and the casting is hard, but very brittle... not to the extent, but kinda like tungsten that is extremely strong but if you twist it, it will crack. If you search online there are quite a few instances of people trying to pry out the pistons by the rim and having the same problem. They are design for axial force, not shear force.
Ahhhhh ….. I gotcha. Good to know, but still…suuuuuucks