GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So I finally coded my heated steering wheel, after having it installed for quite a long time. I have the Mk8 wheel which has a button to turn on heat. I have manual HVAC and there was some question about how to have this work. Happy to report that the Vehicle page of my infotainment has a button to turn on the wheel. In the second you can see what it looks like when wheel heat is on. I did confirm I can turn heat on/off from button on the wheel and on the screen.

The little heated wheel icon pops up in the top right corner of the infotainment when the heat is on... bumping the other icon to the left. I actually didn't select multiple heat levels as active in 08-HVAC because I had expected the wheel would come on with seat heat, based on some reading in old threads.
Heated Steering Wheel Button.PNG

Heated Steering Wheel Infotainment.PNG

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Coded HVAC for multiple levels that added a "heating" menu to my infotainment. So far manual HVAC folks that's where you can change the level. Gives option forlow, medium, and high. And the icon shows the selected level when you turn on wheel heat. I drove with it on high today, it was 65° 😂.

PXL_20221211_220620643.jpgPXL_20221211_220632473.jpgPXL_20221211_220647904.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oddly enough, after enabling the different heating levels I can no longer turn on the wheel heat from the infotainment screen. I have the button on the wheel so no biggie, but strange. I'm actually not even sure it's turning yellow anymore, although the indication at the top right still works, and the wheel still heats up.

Ideally, pressing the wheel heat button on the screen would give me the low/med/high option (instead of having to go into the "heating" menu) and then the button on the wheel would be on/off... but it aint so.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
You would need the Climatronic module now. The button is in the climate menu, or atleast thats where mine is

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
So I finally coded my heated steering wheel, after having it installed for quite a long time. I have the Mk8 wheel which has a button to turn on heat. I have manual HVAC and there was some question about how to have this work. Happy to report that the Vehicle page of my infotainment has a button to turn on the wheel. In the second you can see what it looks like when wheel heat is on. I did confirm I can turn heat on/off from button on the wheel and on the screen.

The little heated wheel icon pops up in the top right corner of the infotainment when the heat is on... bumping the other icon to the left. I actually didn't select multiple heat levels as active in 08-HVAC because I had expected the wheel would come on with seat heat, based on some reading in old threads.
View attachment 267778
View attachment 267779
Hrm, i remember when you commented on the dusty state MIB unit. Yours is looking a little worse for wear there.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I know... I almost cleaned up to retake the pictures... then figured to heck with it, car is in a weird state now anyway.

One door card modded for RGB, one rear door with no door card on it, external soundaktor sitting in the floor in the back but connected and working, lol.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
I got 2 Ohms so the element is not the issue.

Looking at the AMV, I noticed I was getting a value for the temp sensor. I remember getting and actual temperature when it was working. This may be my imagination though. If anyone has a functioning system, could you have a look and see what type of reading you get for the temp sensor?

I am down to 2 possible failures, the temp sensor or the clock spring..... I am leaning to the clock spring having failed.
. View attachment 267258
I finally received my replacement clock spring. Swapped it out and presto.....my heated steering wheel came back from the dead. Thank you for all your suggestions in troubleshooting this issue. :)

LucasMk7

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 Variant
  • Coding:
    • Really not much to it.
      (This was probably helped significantly by the fact that I was using used parts. I don't know how much (if any) parameterization would be necessary with new-new parts, but used were cheaper ($300 for SW; $150 for clockspring, half of which was shipping...which took three weeks🤬), and worked well for me.)
      • Module 08 (HVAC) - Coding - Long Coding Helper (and say "yes" to the "trying experimental features" to see more descriptions of bits)
        • Byte11: Add check to bit2 and bit3 (not sure that bit3 does anything, but I figured, why not)

• Byte13: Not sure if this adds anything, but I turned those bytes on as well.

Hi Nuje,

Thank you for detailed topic !

Through ODB11 I had a look on the mods to activate the multi level SW heating -> basically another display of the mods you made through VCDS but it remains the same.
Unfortunately even after mods has been implemented on my car, nothing appears on my HVAC screen about SW.
I have winter pack which include heated seats, heated windscreen (the heating icon does appear on the HVAC screen), headlight spray, etc

I checked on the error displayed by ODB11, not a single one.
Did you made other modifications to enable the SW icon display ?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Heated windscreen! Mind snapping a picture of the writting etched into the bottom left or right?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Heated windscreen! Mind snapping a picture of the writting etched into the bottom left or right?
I once dug up a part number for this, before doing lane assist. I wasn't as resourceful back then and could only find the glass for the older (5Q0?) camera. Of course this must exist for the newer cameras as well.

If you find the part number do me a favor and keep it to yourself!... Then again, maybe this is why I never went and got my lane assist equipped windshield tinted 😶.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I once dug up a part number for this, before doing lane assist. I wasn't as resourceful back then and could only find the glass for the older (5Q0?) camera. Of course this must exist for the newer cameras as well.

If you find the part number do me a favor and keep it to yourself!... Then again, maybe this is why I never went and got my lane assist equipped windshield tinted 😶.
That’s why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Egolfs had them and they really aren’t expensive. Under 400 from the dealer. But I’m bad at reading the pr codes on etka to determine if it has camera, rain sensor.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
VW prices make no sense. Looking up that number its like 800 euros. The number i think is a facelift, driver assist, heated windshield (5GE845011E) is under 400.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
VW prices make no sense. Looking up that number its like 800 euros. The number i think is a facelift, driver assist, heated windshield (5GE845011E) is under 400.
Ugghhh... So inexpensive, relatively speaking. I paid a little under 400 for my windshield that is not heated.

My parts department of choice, and in fact the place where I got my current windshield installed, has it for $324. I live in southern california for crying out loud... What business do I have with a heated windshield?

I nearly ordered parts for the webasto thanks to @xabhax, and I park in my garage every night 🙄🤦🏿‍♂️

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Ya, would be pointless for you to do the webasto, but for me living in the north east. It is the best thing ive done so far. Nothing better than coming out to a car that is nice and warm, and all the windows are defrosted on a 10 degree morning. And it sounds like a jet engine when its running. But lets be honest with ourselves. Is there really a point to any of the these mods?

Just found a picture of the 5GE windshield. Its the right one. Just gotta find the part numbers for the relay holders.

Obligatory link 😁

And for good measure Kufatec harness

Last edited: