GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Virtual Cockpit Retrofit MK7 (aliexpress version)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thanks again. Can you summarize the coding process you had @simaservis1108 perform?

You need a VAS5054 tool. If you don't have one, you can search and a few people here rent them. And then you need a laptop with TeamViewer installed.

Collect all that stuff, and contact him on WhatsApp to arrange a good time that works for both of you.

He walks you through the entire process of what you need to do over text on WhatsApp. Turn on the car. Turn off the car. Hold a key up. Swap the dash unit. Etc.. It's pretty wild since you're just sitting there waiting for instructions, and can't see what he's doing. But he takes care of it all. Removes the immobilizer. Pairs the keys. Copies over the long coding. Who process took a little over an hour?

10/10, would recommend.

scslite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
You need a VAS5054 tool. If you don't have one, you can search and a few people here rent them. And then you need a laptop with TeamViewer installed.

Collect all that stuff, and contact him on WhatsApp to arrange a good time that works for both of you.

He walks you through the entire process of what you need to do over text on WhatsApp. Turn on the car. Turn off the car. Hold a key up. Swap the dash unit. Etc.. It's pretty wild since you're just sitting there waiting for instructions, and can't see what he's doing. But he takes care of it all. Removes the immobilizer. Pairs the keys. Copies over the long coding. Who process took a little over an hour?

10/10, would recommend.
Thanks for this info! Invaluable.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@scslite if your car does not have Fender you only need a straight through MOST cable... to go from your Infotainment to the dash.

MOST is a fiber optic loop. If you jave Fender you need the Y cable because you're adding the digital dash to that loop. If you don't have Fender you are just creating the loop directly between digital dash and your Infotainment unit.

scslite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
@scslite if your car does not have Fender you only need a straight through MOST cable... to go from your Infotainment to the dash.

MOST is a fiber optic loop. If you jave Fender you need the Y cable because you're adding the digital dash to that loop. If you don't have Fender you are just creating the loop directly between digital dash and your Infotainment unit.
Yes I do have the Fender and appreciate the additional heads up.

mk7850

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Just to update, about a year and half later and the cluster still works exactly the same. No issues.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
is installing the screen mirror kit necessary or can you just leave it out if you don't plan to use it? my cabin fuse box is already tight with the dash cam hardwire kit.

mk7850

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
is installing the screen mirror kit necessary or can you just leave it out if you don't plan to use it? my cabin fuse box is already tight with the dash cam hardwire kit.
I don’t use mine either. You don’t need to hook it up. Works fine without it. No error codes or anything.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So my car is a 2015 autobahn. I just updated to an MIB2 unit. Can I install this without any coding?

Yes. Because you take the old mainboard out of your OEM unit and transfer it to this, there is no coding or anything required.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Don't mean to necrobump (okay, yes I do) ... but I installed this in my 2019 GLI a couple weeks ago. It's pretty great with a few quirks. As OP noted, the screen mirroring from your phone is rather useless, especially if you want audio -- but I wanted to point out that it's just an HDMI cable so you can plug basically anything into it ... including, in my case, a RasperryPi4b running MagicMirror2. I power it off a USB add-a-circuit stuffed in the circuit panel, it connects to my iPhone as a hotspot for internet access, and to the car stereo via bluetooth for audio out which is FAR superior to the digital console's FM transmitter.

With The RPi in there, I can now customize the digital cockpit display to be anything I want ... right now it's just Magic Mirror showing me a calendar and the weather forecast, and streaming backgrounds from Reddit's /r/wallpapers sub. In theory, I can connect it to the ODBII port and write my own custom gauges, or add a GPS module to the RPi and have a live map display on the dash at all times. Possibilities are limitless... but this ain't bad for the 20 minutes of effort I put into it.

IMG_2173.jpeg