GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Heated Steering Wheel

smotz

I have this climatecontol and steering wheel
IMG-20220701-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20220701-WA0012.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't have a Tiguan and have never even sat inside one. If Tiguan doesn't have a button, something like the one in my picture from earlier, then you don't need the BCM wires.

Your new steering wheel has the button to turn on heat so switch/BCM wiring not needed.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Yes, it's actually quite impressive how "dead" the steering wheel is before it's all connected. Nothing lit up so you can't see any icons; nothing clicks when you press it. And then once it gets power, you'll have all of the icons (including the heated SW - bottom RH side, IIRC), and clickability.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Sorry is wrong picture ( did it on my mobile phone ) i have one with heating :D
I found that heating button that is by the shifter on aliexpress. It says its decorative and cannot be pressed. Passats never had a button there. The passat buttons where on the climate control module. I looked in etka and could only find the climate control button

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I found that heating button that is by the shifter on aliexpress. It says its decorative and cannot be pressed. Passats never had a button there. The passat buttons where on the climate control module. I looked in etka and could only find the climate control button
What are we talking about here? There is this part number... 3G0927238P... that appears to be valid. Not sure it matters anyway if you have Mk8 wheel with the heated steering wheel button on it.

I have not seen any of the touch climatronic panels with a heated steering wheel icon. I suppose they are only on cars that either have the console button or have the button on the MFSW. Plus you can always press MENU on the climate panel and turn it on from the touchscreen too I guess.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
What are we talking about here? There is this part number... 3G0927238P... that appears to be valid. Not sure it matters anyway if you have Mk8 wheel with the heated steering wheel button on it.

I have not seen any of the touch climatronic panels with a heated steering wheel icon. I suppose they are only on cars that either have the console button or have the button on the MFSW. Plus you can always press MENU on the climate panel and turn it on from the touchscreen too I guess.
I was assuming we were talking parts that fit on golfs.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@xabhax Gotcha... too much going on here, haha.

@smotz drives a Tiguan but is doing this retrofit. The heated steering wheel retrofit harness they received from Ali had a couple extra wires not mentioned in the DIY. They asked if the extra wires were needed, to which we responded "no" but then you mentioned the wheel picture they posted had no heating button.

That made me assume (having never been in a Tiguan) that it had the steering wheel heat button on the center console so I mentioned their "extra" harness would go from those switches to the BCM. This of course is not how it works on a Golf. Turns out it's also not how it works on a Tiguan (which is, admittedly, very Golf like).

Later @smotz posted pictures of their actual parts, including touch climate control panel which has no button for heated steering wheel. But it doesn't matter because they can either turn it on from the climatronic menu and/or using the button on their wheel.

Blahblahblah... Golf and Tiguan, no shifter/center console button so no wiring to the BCM.
- Mk7 heated wheel will need the climate control panel with the button (or in the case of touch panel will use the climate control menu).
- Mk8 (heated) wheel turned on as above if you have climatronic... or with the button on the wheel (if you have manual hvac, like me)

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Just to confirm that Passats did come with the heated steering wheel button in a center console as well before the touch HVAC panel was fitted in those cars. This is 6/2017.

66CEE4FC-2A22-4BE0-BD69-166C4B056141.jpeg

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@Cuzoe , are you getting KLR touch errors? I did the AR update that was supposed to fix that. I think I have have gotten one of the early wheels that had all the touch sensor problems.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
After a month of enjoying my heated steering wheel I have lost the heating function.

796675 - Heated Steering Wheel
B1538 04 [008] - Internal System Fault
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 72
Mileage: 45542 km
Date: 2022.11.30
Time: 20:50:34

Terminal 15 status: On
Terminal 50 status: OFF
CAN-Bus_aktiv: On
Status Bremslichtschalter (HW): OFF
Status Bremslichtschalter (CAN): OFF
OFF: operated
Position lamps: Not operated
Automatic high beam assist: Not operated
Low beam: Not operated
Parking light left: Not operated
Parking light right: Not operated
last_wakeup: no cause for fault protection
Voltage: 14.3 V
Outside temperature: 12.5 °C

I noticed it after completing the AID retrofit though I don't believe it to be the cause.
I have compared all the admaps prior to the install to the ones currently running and nothing has changed that references the Heated Steering wheel.
I have tested the power going to the clockspring for the heating function.....available.
When monitoring the measuring blocks, the signal to activate is registered but obviously the temperature sensor does not show any changes.

All other functions relating to the clockspring work fine.

I am stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
After a month of enjoying my heated steering wheel I have lost the heating function.

796675 - Heated Steering Wheel
B1538 04 [008] - Internal System Fault
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 72
Mileage: 45542 km
Date: 2022.11.30
Time: 20:50:34

Terminal 15 status: On
Terminal 50 status: OFF
CAN-Bus_aktiv: On
Status Bremslichtschalter (HW): OFF
Status Bremslichtschalter (CAN): OFF
OFF: operated
Position lamps: Not operated
Automatic high beam assist: Not operated
Low beam: Not operated
Parking light left: Not operated
Parking light right: Not operated
last_wakeup: no cause for fault protection
Voltage: 14.3 V
Outside temperature: 12.5 °C

I noticed it after completing the AID retrofit though I don't believe it to be the cause.
I have compared all the admaps prior to the install to the ones currently running and nothing has changed that references the Heated Steering wheel.
I have tested the power going to the clockspring for the heating function.....available.
When monitoring the measuring blocks, the signal to activate is registered but obviously the temperature sensor does not show any changes.

All other functions relating to the clockspring work fine.

I am stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks
Does the code come back when cleared?

Did you ohm out the element in the wheel.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Does the code come back when cleared?

Did you ohm out the element in the wheel.

The code does return when cleared but not immediately......It reappears I imagine once I try to enable the heating function.

I did not ohm it out. I should though. What resistance would be considered normal? Something really low I would think. If the element has failed, should it show up as an open circuit?

I will disconnect the airbag and power up the system to scan for operating voltage post clock spring at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions @xabhax

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
The code does return when cleared but not immediately......It reappears I imagine once I try to enable the heating function.

I did not ohm it out. I should though. What resistance would be considered normal? Something really low I would think. If the element has failed, should it show up as an open circuit?

I will disconnect the airbag and power up the system to scan for operating voltage post clock spring at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestions @xabhax
Ya, if it's open circuit it's completely dead. As for a spec for resistance, it would depend on the type of wire used, it's length, and gauge. But a rough estimate would be around 2-3 ohms. Based on a guess it's 22 gauge nichrome wire.

I'll check mine tomorrow, and let you know.

mannymoda

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack Execli
Ya, if it's open circuit it's completely dead. As for a spec for resistance, it would depend on the type of wire used, it's length, and gauge. But a rough estimate would be around 2-3 ohms. Based on a guess it's 22 gauge nichrome wire.
I got 2 Ohms so the element is not the issue.

Looking at the AMV, I noticed I was getting a value for the temp sensor. I remember getting and actual temperature when it was working. This may be my imagination though. If anyone has a functioning system, could you have a look and see what type of reading you get for the temp sensor?

I am down to 2 possible failures, the temp sensor or the clock spring..... I am leaning to the clock spring having failed.
PXL_20221205_035804806.jpg