GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Brushless LPFP Pro!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
if you think the markup on a $400 lpfp is high wait til you see the markup on $15 of ground wires

I guarantee the parts for the grounding kits are A LOT more than $15.... but that's partly because Dave wanted to spec out the absolute highest quality wiring and parts. Again, our margin on these is around 20% currently... nothing crazy by any means. I am considering going with a different brand of wire to save some costs and reduce the price.

Thanks
-- Ed

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Cost is a bit higher than that. But there's also a lot more that goes into the conversion kit than just the RS3 pump assembly. At our current price for the RS3 pump, its one of our lower margin items. After factoring in all parts and labor costs, we're barely making 15-20% on those. If these could be made significantly cheaper, better believe someone else would be doing that and selling them for less.

Thanks
-- Ed
No its not that cost came straight off parts on command I work for a Vw dealer. Unless cost on them has gone up since my previous post cost is not a bit higher then what I posted.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
No its not that cost came straight off parts on command I work for a Vw dealer. Unless cost on them has gone up since my previous post cost is not a bit higher then what I posted.
We currently get them for around $350. But that's just one piece of the puzzle. If you could just buy the RS3 pump from the dealer and slap it in, that's what everyone would do and we wouldn't have this product in the first place.

That being said, we are working on ways to optimize things and hopefully bring pricing down and value up in the future.

Thanks
-- Ed

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Ok, so I was off, per Ed it's actually only $350 before markup. So $350 for the pump, ~100-150 for the controller, ~$75 for the harness + connector. Maybe a bit less on the other parts if they're buying with a discount.
But for a FWD car you just plug off the jet pump port. No driver side sender. Even if you're paying A2B's markup on the DIY kit ($450 for the whole thing besides the bucket assembly), that's $800 for something EQT charges $1250 for. Might as well include free install at that price.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ok, so I was off, per Ed it's actually only $350 before markup. So $350 for the pump, ~100-150 for the controller, ~$75 for the harness + connector. Maybe a bit less on the other parts if they're buying with a discount.
But for a FWD car you just plug off the jet pump port. No driver side sender. Even if you're paying A2B's markup on the DIY kit ($450 for the whole thing besides the bucket assembly), that's $800 for something EQT charges $1250 for. Might as well include free install at that price.
People are gonna but butt hurt cuz you did math. Some will tell you, EQT has to pay more people so their overhead is higher, so the customers need to pay more for their products.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
People are gonna but butt hurt cuz you did math. Some will tell you EQT has to pay more people so their stuff needs to cost more.
I mean, I'm all for paying people. But a 50% markup to re-assemble some OEM parts (purchased at a discount) is downright greedy. Then they'll go on social media and call out people for "knock-off" kits. Guess what, if you want to charge those mark-ups you gotta actually make something. Anyone can buy some ray-chem or cheap OEM connectors in bulk.
Hopefully with the IMS acquisition they can start actually making some things instead of using their brand for re-badged cash grabs.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I mean, I'm all for paying people. But a 50% markup to re-assemble some OEM parts (purchased at a discount) is downright greedy. Then they'll go on social media and call out people for "knock-off" kits. Guess what, if you want to charge those mark-ups you gotta actually make something. Anyone can buy some ray-chem or cheap OEM connectors in bulk.
Hopefully with the IMS acquisition they can start actually making some things instead of using their brand for re-badged cash grabs.
There is fair pay, and then there's greed. Greed is the American way, but so is someone else coming in and doing the SAME THING for cheaper.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
That's because they use their secretive proprietary parts to make it. 🙄

MKGolfr

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I hate paying too much for aftermarket parts. However, one has to consider costs for business to operate. Small businesses don’t have big margins to operate when one compares to big corporations. One needs to understand the costs of operating businesses. Everything costs money; your credit card transactions, your warranty, employee’s time to provide you quality customer service, R&D and etc. To make your Audi, or VW doesn’t cost that much, but the company has to pay for everything else that associates with production of your Golf, or S3.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I hate paying too much for aftermarket parts. However, one has to consider costs for business to operate. Small businesses don’t have big margins to operate when one compares to big corporations. One needs to understand the costs of operating businesses. Everything costs money; your credit card transactions, your warranty, employee’s time to provide you quality customer service, R&D and etc. To make your Audi, or VW doesn’t cost that much, but the company has to pay for everything else that associates with production of your Golf, or S3.
In this case the R&D was browsing newark connector until they found a $0.75 pigtail to eliminate the butt-splice for the AWD float. For their turbos, they tried a few TD06 options from Zage and then simply bought out US exclusivity for the turbine dimensions on the vortex. Anyone with a mailing address outside the US can email them and get the exact same "$1800" turbo for $1200.
Judging by Ed's collection of porsches I think it's pretty clear where those margins are going and it ain't "R&D."

MKGolfr

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I’m not defending anyone here, but good thing about capitalism is you have a choices. If you think Ed is too expensive, go buy somewhere else. I found the same LPFP with a different label for just a few $s over 1K. If anyone wants one I’ll sell it to them. It’s brand new.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I’m not defending anyone here, but good thing about capitalism is you have a choices. If you think Ed is too expensive, go buy somewhere else. I found the same LPFP with a different label for just a few $s over 1K. If anyone wants one I’ll sell it to them. It’s brand new.
The pump is $350 from online Audi dealers. a2b sells the wiring kit for $300, and the controller is $110 from VW. That's $760, save yourself some money.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

You can buy the exact EQT kit, for less from smaller vendors. That's the full drop in kit that's built as well, or better than EQTs.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Your costs are off and you're still missing a couple custom made components that go into the kit. Then there's someone's labor to assemble, package and process the order. Then there's support, hand holding, warranty, etc, etc, etc. If you expect us to sell product at cost, we won't be here for very long at all. But hey... if you think you can make the kit as good and offer it for significantly less, go for it and make some money!

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
You can buy the exact EQT kit, for less from smaller vendors. That's the full drop in kit that's built as well, or better than EQTs.
Then why are you guys arguing here? If there's a cheaper option that's just as good, why aren't people just buying that?

Most people commenting here have no idea what it takes to start and run a business like this. And they have no idea on the specifics that go into some of these products. Its really easy to pull up some OEM pricing for a few components and say we're over charging. But once you actually start to put together a kit that works correctly and hire staff that supports your customers, you're in for a rude awakening. That's the simple reason you're not seeing the same product for less from other vendors - if it was that easy, they'd all be doing it.

Finally, yes we are a business and the point is to make a profit. Although we love cars and our customers, this is not a charity. We charge what we have to charge to stay afloat and keep developing new products. If we charge too much, there should be competitors who come in and correct the market. If that doesn't happen, then its likely that we're not overcharging.

Thanks
-- Ed