GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

GTIPenny

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Hello, new here and to the car scene.

Just got a 2016 GTI DSG and I was looking to make it as strong as possible but keeping it as reliable as possible as well. It came with an intake as well as an exhaust, everything else is stock.

I'm looking to make as much power as possible on a 93oct tune, there aren't enough E85 stations around me to even consider it.

What mods should I do to keep it a reliable daily but still be able to put down power.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Hello, new here and to the car scene.

Just got a 2016 GTI DSG and I was looking to make it as strong as possible but keeping it as reliable as possible as well. It came with an intake as well as an exhaust, everything else is stock.

I'm looking to make as much power as possible on a 93oct tune, there aren't enough E85 stations around me to even consider it.

What mods should I do to keep it a reliable daily but still be able to put down power.
Intercooler + 93 octane tune + DSG tune. Not sure if you already have a DP or just a cat back based on your post, but it's really not worth the extra hassle if you don't already.

GTIPenny

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Intercooler + 93 octane tune + DSG tune. Not sure if you already have a DP or just a cat back based on your post, but it's really not worth the extra hassle if you don't already.
Nah, no DP.

So a FMIC, DP, 93tune, DSG tune.....

Would anything else be worth getting? Maybe like a hybrid turbo?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Nah, no DP.

So a FMIC, DP, 93tune, DSG tune.....

Would anything else be worth getting? Maybe like a hybrid turbo?
Not if you're actually worried about reliability. You can do an IS38 (or equivalent) on the stock fueling system and stay pretty safe, but after that you're down the rabbit hole of higher cost items.

Oh, and motor and trans mounts. If the factory ones aren't toast already, they will be soon after you add power.

GTIPenny

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Not if you're actually worried about reliability. You can do an IS38 (or equivalent) on the stock fueling system and stay pretty safe, but after that you're down the rabbit hole of higher cost items.

Oh, and motor and trans mounts. If the factory ones aren't toast already, they will be soon after you add power.

I have no problem going down the rabbit hole but as this will be my daily I am also worried about reliability, so as long as I can keep the car reliable I have no problem going head first down the rabbit hole

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have no problem going down the rabbit hole but as this will be my daily I am also worried about reliability, so as long as I can keep the car reliable I have no problem going head first down the rabbit hole
Let me put it this way, the more parts you replace and the higher the power, the more likely you are to have something break. And IC and DP are basically just pipes, no real concern there. But start swapping turbos and messing with the fuel system and things are much more likely to go wrong. Lots of people do it, it's not like you have a 50/50 chance of destroying your car, but anyone who's ever owned a highly modified vehicle can tell you, there's always something they're fixing. You can chill at stage 1 or 2 with nothing but extra oil changes and spark plugs to worry about.

GTIPenny

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Let me put it this way, the more parts you replace and the higher the power, the more likely you are to have something break. And IC and DP are basically just pipes, no real concern there. But start swapping turbos and messing with the fuel system and things are much more likely to go wrong. Lots of people do it, it's not like you have a 50/50 chance of destroying your car, but anyone who's ever owned a highly modified vehicle can tell you, there's always something they're fixing. You can chill at stage 1 or 2 with nothing but extra oil changes and spark plugs to worry about.

I see what you mean, ok well I guess my goal lies beyond that stage. Since I believe a stage 2 would just be a turboback exhaust and intake..

Let me ask this way then, what would I need to reach around 450hp and if installed and tuned correctly would it be relatively reliable?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I see what you mean, ok well I guess my goal lies beyond that stage. Since I believe a stage 2 would just be a turboback exhaust and intake..

Let me ask this way then, what would I need to reach around 450hp and if installed and tuned correctly would it be relatively reliable?
Yes as noted above the risk to reward will go up as the power goal goes up… but if you are really chasing daily that’s around 450 hp and reliable in the sense of proven setups getting it all at once would be a easy route.

https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/zero-2-hero-power-kit-ea888-3-mqb

Standard vortex will get you above 400 on 93. (Plenty other hybrid brands and options as well to get you there too, this is just an example of one in a easy to order package and proven)

Gmax is a cool turbo too, but def. Not making 450 unless you put it on a generous dyno and custom tune it past the manufactures limits.
**speaking in terms of wheel numbers not exaggerated reverse math crank/bhp numbers

GTIPenny

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yes as noted above the risk to reward will go up as the power goal goes up… but if you are really chasing daily that’s around 450 hp and reliable in the sense of proven setups getting it all at once would be a easy route.

https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/zero-2-hero-power-kit-ea888-3-mqb

Standard vortex will get you above 400 on 93. (Plenty other hybrid brands and options as well to get you there too, this is just an example of one in a easy to order package and proven)

Gmax is a cool turbo too, but def. Not making 450 unless you put it on a generous dyno and custom tune it past the manufactures limits.
**speaking in terms of wheel numbers not exaggerated reverse math crank/bhp numbers

Looks interesting, what are your thoughts on IS38 vs Vortex XL

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Looks interesting, what are your thoughts on IS38 vs Vortex XL
Two completely different end results and financial paths. Is38 plus hpfp is definitely going to make the car fun and fast feeling on the streets still for like 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost.

If today I had a gti or gli as a daily car on pump and it was still on the stock DP like yours I wouldn't hesitate to just get a intercooler, Apr DTR turbo/tune and thier automatic tune, and call it a day to be honest.

High effort hybrid is super fun and crazy on the freeway but as a daily in regular street driving and traffic is not like your getting to really take advantage of the power without blowing the front tires off the car at every light or 2nd gear blast 😂.
Also if you got exhaust already adding a DP get quite loud and annoying daily at times.

https://www.goapr.com/products/engi...tr6054_turbocharger_system_-_20t_ea888_gen_3/

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Sort of to your point, just jumped from Stage 1 to IS38 on APR's OE DP file. Definitely gets the job done in an "easy button" sort of way. Sure, the DTR + DSG flash is only a bit more expensive than IS38 + DSG Flash...but I'm a fan of the torque delivery of the IS38. You can tell it's marginally less responsive than IS20, but the broader area under the curve more than makes up for it.

GTIPenny

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Two completely different end results and financial paths. Is38 plus hpfp is definitely going to make the car fun and fast feeling on the streets still for like 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost.

If today I had a gti or gli as a daily car on pump and it was still on the stock DP like yours I wouldn't hesitate to just get a intercooler, Apr DTR turbo/tune and thier automatic tune, and call it a day to be honest.

High effort hybrid is super fun and crazy on the freeway but as a daily in regular street driving and traffic is not like your getting to really take advantage of the power without blowing the front tires off the car at every light or 2nd gear blast 😂.
Also if you got exhaust already adding a DP get quite loud and annoying daily at times.

https://www.goapr.com/products/engi...tr6054_turbocharger_system_-_20t_ea888_gen_3/

After looking some stuff up and truly deciding what I want in a car I believe I will just go stage 2 and call it there. My last question would be would you(or anybody else) suggest going with an Accessport tune or would a custom dyno tune be better?

Obviously I believe it'd be way more expensive but in terms of quality if I have the money to spend should I just take a custom dyno tune from a good tuner in my area?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
A canned off-the-shelf tune would be just fine for stage 2. Custom tune would be overkill unless there's something specific you want from it.

Source: Stage 2 w/ both custom and OTS tunes, lol