GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So hard brake from 130 to 60 through T1 right hander then power out...that's where it happened.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That’s awesome! First time that I missed the Audi event in years.
This last weekend at VIR was also the first time I tried a more aggressive track compound pad. I have the APR 350mm BBK (which is made by Power Brake out of South Africa...I know you run their brakes) and use Motul RBF600 fluid. The brakes were flawless both days.

The APR "Advanced Track Day" pads were amazing....but they are v. $$$ and depending on how long they last, I can see moving to something else. The pad shape is somewhat common (same as a '18+ Subi STI 6-pot Brembo) so can get Carbotech, G-Loc, etc. easily for this BBK as they are half the price....not sure why APR (who to me usually has a reasonable value proposition with their hardware) is so out in left field on these pads...

These pads feel fine for street use (so far...it hasn't gotten cold yet) with good/normal cold/initial bite and aren't all that dusty vs. their middle compound "Advanced Street/Entry-Level Track Day" pads I've been using (very dusty). I sold the "High Performance Street" pads the kit came with so never used those. The track pads are a bit noisier with a few squeaks here/there but nothing egregious and I could live with them as a daily pad for sure but as I understand it, you will get more rotor wear on the street with operating temps being at times too low and these 2-peice APR rotor rings ain't cheap. The street/track compound has a temp range of 0-1166 deg F vs. 212-1472 deg F for the track pads which looks to be close to a Carbotech XP10. I run the stock 272 solid rotor rears with EBC Yellowstuff.

Capture2.JPG
20221106_123500 (1).jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I realize this is not quite the exactly same point/angle for the photo but it should be close. Coming out of Oak Tree. FSB + camber seems to have flattened things out.

Capture4.JPG

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Don’t run the track pads on the street. As soon as the blue/grey transfer layer wears off, rotor and pad wear accelerates.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Don’t run the track pads on the street. As soon as the blue/grey transfer layer wears off, rotor and pad wear accelerates.
I am going to leave them on for a few weeks just b/c I'm lazy and I'll be back for the TSCC event so soon but after that, they are coming out.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ferrodo race pads are pricey as are Pagid and PFC. With rising energy prices in Europe and especially Italy, expect to see a significant price hike from Ferrodo racing and most quality rotor brands. A majority of the rotor foundries are located in Italy.

Hawk/G-Loc/Carbotech are cheaper. I found Carbotech to be corrosive to wheel finishes. Not sure if Gloc is the same.

I like your forged Apex wheels. Those look great on your car. Something to consider when choosing pads.

Raybestos ST43’s are also great on track. Relatively inexpensive and I was impressed with them when using them on my Cooper S on track.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ferrodo race pads are pricey as are Pagid and PFC. With rising energy prices in Europe and especially Italy, expect to see a significant price hike from Ferrodo racing and most quality rotor brands. A majority of the rotor foundries are located in Italy.

Hawk/G-Loc/Carbotech are cheaper. I found Carbotech to be corrosive to wheel finishes. Not sure if Gloc is the same.

I like your forged Apex wheels. Those look great on your car. Something to consider when choosing pads.

Raybestos ST43’s are also great on track. Relatively inexpensive and I was impressed with them when using them on my Cooper S on track.
Thanks! Yes, the Apex wheels are nice and they stayed v. clean with the APR track pads...anything on them came right off with a quick wash/wheel cleaner and the finish is very slick. The APR pads are $$$ and not sure why.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
New PB at VIR

Tricky conditions in the first session. Super cold track. This was the second session of the day. Chasing my buddy in the GT3 helped.

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Nice driving! Chasing the GT3 really adds to the video too, that soundtrack 👌🏼

tigeo

Autocross Champion

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
What is purple group? Really looking forward to this one!

We eat people.

… upper intermediate. If I recall correctly, last time, I checked a month ago, there was a chance that the purple and blue (advanced) groups would get merged. Not sure if that’s still the case or not.

Last edited: