GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
For anyone interested in buying from blauertacho4u, I couldn't recommend them more, awesome customer service.
Speaking with a rep after purchase and they fully recommend the 'Premium' DHL shipping (3-6 weeks) which is 120 Euro due to the size and safety during shipping. You can still have German VAT removed but they want you to message them before you buy to do so.
  • Cost is 817.77€ on the website, (this includes 134.56€ VAT) and the only option for shipping was 29.99€ DHL packet. Which came to 842.76€ total.
  • They emailed me after I paid and said "hey listen, economy packet is too risky, takes forever and there's no tracking" so I had them remove VAT and went with the 119.99€ shipping.
  • They broke it down and said "no problem", 687.20€ for the lamps, 119.99€ for premium shipping, and a PayPal fee of 4.9% (39.55€) for a total of 846.74€. Difference was 4.02€ that they waived since I already paid the initial amount and it would be a hassle to collect 4€.
For whatever reason, there's a CC option and PayPal option at checkout, but using the CC option forces you through PayPal.. so I had to eat the 4.9%.
Either way, great customer service.
What's their response time? And is english okay? I'm still learning how to write the ß ligature.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
1. I don’t think so
2.yes!
3. 100% plug and play. I don’t have any scanning tools to determine if the car has any faults. Nothing extra besides what is provided is needed
4. Yes. In fact, unlike the Ed’s lights, the adjustments are identical to OEM
5. No
6. No the DRL will turn off when the signal comes on.
7. Never had BMP lights, but as I understand, they’re rebranded versions of Ed’s. Osrams are totally superior as Ed’s have figment issues in the OEM housing, jittery lights with confusing and brittle adjustments, hard to see turn signals, and light leak from the sides of the housings. I ran Ed’s for about 6 months and was dissatisfied with the overall quality. I think Osrams are worth their expensive price.
Damn, the turned off DRL with blinker on rubs me the wrong way. :(

I've been running Ed's for several years, no issues until i hit a hole a couple of months away and my DRL now flickers and turns off completely when low beams come on.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can code the DRL to not turn off with the blinker, just gotta pop into the Leuchte channels in the BCM. This can also be done with factory lights if you want.

For my car it would be changing the following two channels, for left and right side respectively:
ENG116940-ENG115955-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion C 4... Blinken links aktiv (beide Phasen) to not active
ENG116941-ENG115974-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion C 5... Blinken rechts aktiv (beide Phasen) to not active

The factory coding has Lichtfunktion C set to Blinken links/rechts aktiv (beide Phasen) respectively, translation = Flashing left/right active (both phases). When this condition is met (the turn signal being on) the brightness of the daytime running light is set to 0 (that's controlled by a Dimmwert adaptation channel), turning off the DRL.
In theory you could set the Dimmwert value to 50 and have the DRL's dim with turn signal instead of turning off. In practice I don't know if this will work on the Osrams. Since the Osrams are plug and play the BCM is still coded to "think" these are halogen lights, which of course can be dimmed. But these are actually LED's meaning internally the Osram's have circuitry that "translates" the halogen control from the BCM into something and LED likes. It could be simple resistors (unlikely) or could be something more. You could certainly try changing the following channels instead of the two mentioned above:
ENG116940-ENG115957-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert CD 4... 0 to 50
ENG116941-ENG115976-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Dimmwert CD 5... 0 to 50
Either the DRL's will now dim when using the blinker, which is ideal. Or they will flicker because the power is too low.
In that case just change these adaptations back to 0 and instead make the changes to the channels I mentioned before.
I suppose you could also try some values between 50 and 100 and see if something will get them to dim without flickering

There will also be a soft fault from the missing corner light. It's a light not present outside of NAR, and the same soft fault you get with any aftermarket lights.
It will show up in a scan but won't cause any dash warnings... I coded the light type for these as "not active" so there's no more soft fault.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
My DRL Dims to headlight on style, still on, center - lights up but brightness drops when my blinker is on. They don't ever turn completely off unless I set the parking brake with lights off I believe. 🤷‍♂️ I also had no soft faults, but I had Zero assisting with my coding.

Their English is good. Email them either before or right after placing the order as they'll have to remove VAT and probably update your shipping costs. At least when I ordered mine almost 2 years ago that was what I did.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
there is always factory MK7 GTI LED....

phpaOQMrf_780x780.jpg
phpkiDx59_780x780.jpg
phpVhItLH_780x780.jpg

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You can code the DRL to not turn off with the blinker, just gotta pop into the Leuchte channels in the BCM. This can also be done with factory lights if you want.

For my car it would be changing the following two channels, for left and right side respectively:
ENG116940-ENG115955-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion C 4... Blinken links aktiv (beide Phasen) to not active
ENG116941-ENG115974-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion C 5... Blinken rechts aktiv (beide Phasen) to not active

The factory coding has Lichtfunktion C set to Blinken links/rechts aktiv (beide Phasen) respectively, translation = Flashing left/right active (both phases). When this condition is met (the turn signal being on) the brightness of the daytime running light is set to 0 (that's controlled by a Dimmwert adaptation channel), turning off the DRL.
In theory you could set the Dimmwert value to 50 and have the DRL's dim with turn signal instead of turning off. In practice I don't know if this will work on the Osrams. Since the Osrams are plug and play the BCM is still coded to "think" these are halogen lights, which of course can be dimmed. But these are actually LED's meaning internally the Osram's have circuitry that "translates" the halogen control from the BCM into something and LED likes. It could be simple resistors (unlikely) or could be something more. You could certainly try changing the following channels instead of the two mentioned above:
ENG116940-ENG115957-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert CD 4... 0 to 50
ENG116941-ENG115976-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Dimmwert CD 5... 0 to 50
Either the DRL's will now dim when using the blinker, which is ideal. Or they will flicker because the power is too low.
In that case just change these adaptations back to 0 and instead make the changes to the channels I mentioned before.
I suppose you could also try some values between 50 and 100 and see if something will get them to dim without flickering

There will also be a soft fault from the missing corner light. It's a light not present outside of NAR, and the same soft fault you get with any aftermarket lights.
It will show up in a scan but won't cause any dash warnings... I coded the light type for these as "not active" so there's no more soft fault.

That's great. I currently run mk7 Ed's reps, and i coded them to slightly dim the DRLs with the blinker on. I bet that's the same coding, just wanted to make sure i can do it on the Osrams.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
My DRL Dims to headlight on style, still on, center - lights up but brightness drops when my blinker is on. They don't ever turn completely off unless I set the parking brake with lights off I believe. 🤷‍♂️ I also had no soft faults, but I had Zero assisting with my coding.

Their English is good. Email them either before or right after placing the order as they'll have to remove VAT and probably update your shipping costs. At least when I ordered mine almost 2 years ago that was what I did.
They already replied (i bet my greating them with a Guten Tag paid off :)).

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
there is always factory MK7 GTI LED....
Not plug and play (10 vs 14 pin IIRC), and if installing on a Golf you'll need to replace the grill if you want the red stripe to go all the way across... which would not be Golf like.
What's the price on these anyway? In the past the Osrams (though more expensive than lesser aftermarket options) were still less expensive than OEM housings.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Yeah, I ended up going Osram over a Bi-Xenon retrofit due to the cost of the housing and modules. Osrams were cheaper than the cheapest I found at the time, which was oddly Euro Golf R headlights from Eacca.

Edit:
Unless those are Ali/Eds/AKD LED headlights.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...00023044797179!sea&curPageLogUid=JSutIYlFIwWA

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...00025653346337!sea&curPageLogUid=WynzfioG9HNY

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...00022935638193!sea&curPageLogUid=TXMbSf9zcQ8K

Last edited:

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
Not plug and play (10 vs 14 pin IIRC), and if installing on a Golf you'll need to replace the grill if you want the red stripe to go all the way across... which would not be Golf like.
What's the price on these anyway? In the past the Osrams (though more expensive than lesser aftermarket options) were still less expensive than OEM housings.
I'm referring to factory installed xenon have 14pin .........price is more than most will spend and only from VW Motorsport

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm referring to factory installed xenon have 14pin .........price is more than most will spend and only from VW Motorsport
Gotcha... the Osrams discussed here are plug and play upgrades for folks with Halogens.

You're talking about a retrofit which is doable, DIY here on these forums, but not the subject of this thread.
In addition to lights and modules, it may also require a BCM upgrade. Again doable (I've done it twice 🤦‍♂️) but way off topic for this thread.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Did anyone buy from Blauertacho and pay via a bank transfer? If so, do you have their bank info? For some reason i get errors after inputting their IBAN/Swift.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Used PayPal and DHL for mine in 2019, although company is less then 20miles away from my house. Can't find an IBAN on their receipt. What’s the issue?

Over here in Germany the IBAN structure is:

2 letters ISO country code
2 digits IBAN check digits
8 digits blz
10 digits account number

Sample IBAN: DE 89 37040044 0532013000

Other ways to write an IBAN:

DE89 3704 0044 0532 0130 00 (most common on bills)
However my German bank account wants me to put the IBAN in w/o spaces:
DE89370400440532013000

Have you tried w/ and w/o spaces?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Used PayPal and DHL for mine in 2019, although company is less then 20miles away from my house. Can't find an IBAN on their receipt. What’s the issue?

Over here in Germany the IBAN structure is:

2 letters ISO country code
2 digits IBAN check digits
8 digits blz
10 digits account number

Sample IBAN: DE 89 37040044 0532013000

Other ways to write an IBAN:

DE89 3704 0044 0532 0130 00 (most common on bills)
However my German bank account wants me to put the IBAN in w/o spaces:
DE89370400440532013000

Have you tried w/ and w/o spaces?

Supposedly i have to do it via a computer, can't do it from my phone. I'll try that and if that fails, I'll send them cash with a mail pigeon.